View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 08:50 PM
ive held onto dogs collars whilst ive waited for their owners to retrieve them. I do not grab at dogs collars though, i will firmly hold a collar of a out of control/dangerous/problem causing dog until the owner can get to the dog
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-07-2011, 08:53 PM
No one has ever tried it tbh but I doubt any of them would react. I've grabbed hold of a few when the owners haven't been quick enough to prevent a scuffle or their dog has been intent on accompanying us and the owner is unable to recall them.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I have just got back from a walk in the park with the boys. I was nearly home and I recalled Cooper and asked him for a sit off the whistle and then sent him on his way when 2 men appeared with a fat labrador from around a corner out of the dark.
I grabbed some ham from my bag and recalled him but he was having too much fun saying hello to the lab. The Spaniel then decides he wants the ham in my hand and sits in front of me and tries to trip me up.
One of the men then walk over and grab Cooper by the collar and drag him away from his dog, just as I get there and take Coopers collar away from the man (who was a bit late in letting go, I had to sort of nudge him away).

I really don't like people grabbing my dogs collars, it really annoys me for one and my dog could have bitten him!

Anyone else have an issue with other people grabbing their dogs collars?
Many people deliberately train their dogs NOT to freak out when their collars are grabbed as it could be for example in an ermergency either by the owner or another person.

It is good safety training and something that PAT dogs are tested for!

It makes for bombproof dogs who do not react adversely should this occur.

To be honest you might be glad someday that someone DID grab your dog's collar if it saved him from being bitten by a dog that it had ignored you for Or even ran off and was in danger of being run over!?

I have often done this to dogs who have ignored their owners, rather than let them get into trouble.

Never thought it might annoy someone, but now you mention it, perhaps next time I should not? And of course if the consequences of failing to do this were to be somewhat harmful to the dog, I wonder what you would think then?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:04 PM
I really don't like it its like a red flag to a bull with me

I have had this happen and Tess freaks out, she has always had a fear of her collar being held and I only found out after we rescued her as I have worked hard on this its something I don't want someone undoing.

Reah reacted with the same person with a growl.......Reah growling she's not done that since 2 years into us owning her

And when it was done to Skye she stayed well away from the perpetrator.

Hopefully its been resolved now with me saying something, its not something I would dream of doing, I know in our case the persons thought it was helpful, but for me I'd rather they didn't
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Many people deliberately train their dogs NOT to freak out when their collars are grabbed as it could be for example in an ermergency either by the owner or another person.

It is good safety training and something that PAT dogs are tested for!

It makes for bombproof dogs who do not react adversely should this occur.

To be honest you might be glad someday that someone DID grab your dog's collar if it saved him from being bitten by a dog that it had ignored you for Or even ran off and was in danger of being run over!?

I have often done this to dogs who have ignored their owners, rather than let them get into trouble.

Never thought it might annoy someone, but now you mention it, perhaps next time I should not? And of course if the consequences of failing to do this were to be somewhat harmful to the dog, I wonder what you would think then?
For me....if it was done to help I would be grateful, but when its done because the person thinks that because they didn't come on a first recall they would drag it to you....Oh! no
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:10 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post

Personally that is their problem for being so irresponsible and I have to concentrate on managing my own dogs behaviour in such a situation rather than interfering with other people's dogs.

Cooper wasn't going to be harmed in the situation the OP is discussing.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:13 PM
When on my favourite park in Norwich (the University of East Anglia grounds)some nugget of a bloke grabbed Parker by the collar and pointed him at his friend and shouted "KILL, KILL" and thought it was funny

If looks could kill I think he would have got rigor mortis instantly!

I was not happy. Parker was not fussed though.

Only time I have known him bark at someone grabbing his collar was because he was right next to a larger dog and he felt threatened by being restrained next to it. The owner only grabbed him because the dogs were near where a car was coming on to the back of the heath (dirt-track). I should have recalled him instead.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:15 PM
No I can't say I've ever had anything like that happen to Luke...and I'm glad, because he doesn't like ANYONE grabbing his collar, even me at times. But he's never been in a situation where anyone has ever had to try.
I will say though, that if somene else's dog is coming at me, or Luke...they'd best get over their issues with me touching their dog real quick, because I will not stand there and wait for their owner to show up should that dog start a fight with or try to attack Luke. The dog is going to get full force of whatever I have on me, hands, feet, hell teeth even if it helps protect my boy. Im just nuts that way though.
When that pit bull came at Luke that night, I didn't even thin, I just got in between them and started booting. Everyone around here now knows...keep your dog on lead because if it puts one tooth on Luke, you will see a crazy woman like you've never seen before. ((We have a lot of loose dog aggressive dogs in my area,it's become a big problem))

But no...in a general situation that's not dangerous or out of control, I don't expect anyone to grab Luke's collar...adn they will indeed regret it if they try, because I know Luke and he'd react.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
For me....if it was done to help I would be grateful, but when its done because the person thinks that because they didn't come on a first recall they would drag it to you....Oh! no
That's different. On the occasions I've held a strange dogs collar it's been because the owner has been chasing it round, trying to get it back and not succeeding and the dog has come to me for fusses. Having been in that situation myself I know I was grateful when someone just held on to my dog so I could get him.

When that does happen I don't just grab the collar. I'll stroke round the neck, touch the collar, move it slightly and if they didn't seem happy with that I'd back off. I wouldn't just grab at a collar out of the blue unless it were an emergency.

If a dog came charging up to mine I'd grab it if necessary and tough luck what the owner thinks I'm afraid. My priority is MY dog and a dog charging up to him is extremely frightening for him regardless of the dogs intentions.
luca12
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-07-2011, 09:18 PM
I caught hold of the collar of an out of control boxer today and put it on a lead and walked it back to its owners whilst I left my dogs in a wait .

It had mounted 2 out of the 4 dogs I had out with me and it is not the first time (sadly not even the 2nd or 3rd time and both me and my dogs are getting sick of it .

As soon as I saw the dog I called my lot to heel and changed direction but it came after us

The bitch he tried to mount today is spayed (and has NEVER had a male dog show interest ever) and the other dog he tried to mount is male .

The first time it happened he got hold of my unspayed bitch (who was 3 months out of her season - she would not be walked on public land in season ) and the owner of the boxer insisted it was my fault and that that she was either in season or about to come into season... oh and that some bitches give of a certain smell ....

well now it has happened multiple times and I am guessing she uses that excuse alot ...

Anyway ... she didnt object when I handed her dog back and politely asked if she could please keep it on a lead until we were well away ... she did not offer any excuses this time either .

Its not the dogs fault but owners like that make me feel so fustrated . I did say to her that the behaviour is upsetting my dogs and that her dog may well get a nip if he is continuing to try and mount them - my male was particularly narked and did snap at him.

In this situation I would not hesitate to calmly take hold of a dogs collar - if I got bitten it would be my own fault but TBH I didnt think about that as I was upset at seeing how distressed my own dogs were.

Rant over !
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »