Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 06:04 AM
I give mine raw eggs shell and all with no problems
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2011, 09:15 AM
How often can I give Pereg a raw egg? She weighs ~18 kilos.

Thanks.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
How often can I give Pereg a raw egg? She weighs ~18 kilos.

Thanks.

Daily is fine.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Eggs are considered the "perfect" protein.

There are a lot of old wives tales and misconceptions about the consumption of raw eggs (by humans or animals)

Many people believe that eating raw egg will cause a biotin deficiency. However this is only a realistic risk if you only consume egg whites (eg as used to be given to invalids decades ago) and a HUGE amount of them.

Egg whites contain a glycoprotein called "avidin" which binds Biotin (B vitamin) and makes it unavailable to the body.

As egg yolk is very rich in biotin this "issue" is a "non problem".

Cooking any protein changes its molecular structure; if you scramble them with milk (which many do) you need to be aware that a) dogs, like all animals bar humans, do not consume milk post weaning; b) milk contains sugar, lactose and many dogs are deficient in the enzyme lactase with which to metabolise it efficiently c) milk is a prime trigger of diarrhoea d) many dogs are allergice to milk protein Casein.

My dogs get a raw egg daily. I either combine it with their meat meal, crack it over RMBs or make a smoothie with a banana and live yoghurt.

Powdered egg shell is an excellent source of calcium, however if it is not powdered it will go out the way it went in!

HTH
Your final para is a good point Smokeybear. I don't powder the egg shells, I just pound them up in a pestle and mortar which wouldn't be good enough. I think I shall start dropping an egg into the smoothie maker and zapping it, and then adding that to their food.

Thanx for that.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Daily is fine.
Great - thanks for that info! I need something "wet" to mix Pereg's Taurine powder and ground Milkthistle seeds in, as sprinkling on her food was not very successful. The Taurine should just be mixed with a little water but apparently it tastes very bitter so it needs to go in something she really likes, which is raw egg!

I had been mixing the powder and ground seeds in 0% fat yoghurt but think that mixing with a raw egg will be better for her, as she can then have it as a reasonably nourishing "breakfast".

Now all I have to do is find some way of getting her to stop gaining weight and, in fact, lose the bit she has put on due to her medication.

Thanks again for your help
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Eggs are considered the "perfect" protein.

There are a lot of old wives tales and misconceptions about the consumption of raw eggs (by humans or animals)

Many people believe that eating raw egg will cause a biotin deficiency. However this is only a realistic risk if you only consume egg whites (eg as used to be given to invalids decades ago) and a HUGE amount of them.

Egg whites contain a glycoprotein called "avidin" which binds Biotin (B vitamin) and makes it unavailable to the body.
As egg yolk is very rich in biotin this "issue" is a "non problem".

Cooking any protein changes its molecular structure; if you scramble them with milk (which many do) you need to be aware that a) dogs, like all animals bar humans, do not consume milk post weaning; b) milk contains sugar, lactose and many dogs are deficient in the enzyme lactase with which to metabolise it efficiently c) milk is a prime trigger of diarrhoea d) many dogs are allergice to milk protein Casein.

My dogs get a raw egg daily. I either combine it with their meat meal, crack it over RMBs or make a smoothie with a banana and live yoghurt.

Powdered egg shell is an excellent source of calcium, however if it is not powdered it will go out the way it went in!

HTH
Thanks for the good information Smokeybear. I knew I had heard something about raw egg white somewhere. Its nice to know there are no worries feeding scrambled egg to a puppy. My new 8 week golden retriever pup has regularly had scrambled egg since being weaned (with no milk added) and I will continue to to do the same now I know it is OK. Thank you again.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Are raw eggs really ok?

When we got Simon OH wanted to give him raw eggs, but I absolutely refused as I have always thought they contained Salmonella.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Are raw eggs really ok?

When we got Simon OH wanted to give him raw eggs, but I absolutely refused as I have always thought they contained Salmonella.

Eggs do not contain salmonella per se. Some may, just as some vegetables may, do you cook all your salad vegetables?!

Dogs can cope with far more bacteria than we can, we are after all talking about dogs that lick their own or others bottoms, drink out of toilets, consume animal excreta..................

I have fed raw eggs for 10 years, never had a problem.

But, if YOU do not feel it is safe for your dog, then you do not have to feed them!
ami_j
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2011, 10:34 PM
Dexter LOVES raw egg, I normally smash it slightly so in his dish and he pushes it around with his nose so it dribbles out, keeps him entertained. Given it whole he smashes it with his foot and it normally ends up everywhere
Azz
Administrator
Male 

22-06-2011, 10:40 PM
I give Rocky raw eggs every now and again but only organic - the other stuff is way too screwed up for my liking.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2