View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 11:07 AM
You shouldnt go to them when they cry because then they learn if they cry and bark mummy and daddy will come to me!! This will get harder when she gets older and she is still doing it because by this time barking and crying means mum and dad come every time to my beck and call.

Its hard because they sound so sad and needy but the earlier they learn no one will come when they seek attention the better and sooner they will stop the seeking.

Just like kiddies really ^^
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-06-2011, 01:52 PM
It's all well saying don't give in to them, but if they are barking and making lots of noise, that early in a morning too, neighbours will start to complain.
Stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Does sound like he just wants you there, so ideally you need to teach him when be waits nicely you come, when he doesn't you don't. Bit hard though isn't it. Good luck, and hopefully when the clocks change again he will be fine...
Not much help I know.

Does he have some fun toys to play with while he waits for you? Or try putting a radio on a timer so it goes off in the morning when he wakes up, that might keep him company enough. Good point about seeing what wakes him, with you noticing when the clocks have changed and getting lighter, it could be the light, or an animal outside.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 02:39 PM
i went down and shouted no at bandit left him and went back to bed when he was little I would let him out and put him str8 back to bed. But now at 6 months old we can have a nice lie in =)
ATD x
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 03:47 PM
M&M would ideally like to be let out about 4am - i.e. as soon as it starts getting light....

During the week is fine, as I'm up and about pretty early anyway - 5.45am - so that is OK for them.

At a weekend, a small lie in would be nice! So, I get up about 6 - 6.30am, stick my dressing gown on, let them out for a wee and make up their breakfast, then put them back in the kitchen to eat, shut the door and go back to bed. I often have to read for about 10-15mins, but I can usually get at least another hours sleep before properly gettting up!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 04:49 PM
You might not like my suggestion, but what about coming down and telling him sternly to go and lie down, then leaving the room again immediately?

Unlike others, I personally wouldn't get up at silly o'clock to feed my dogs and pay them attention because they were barking. Surely that is rewarding them for their undesirable behaviour?

It sounds like he is barking to get up and nothing more. I'm not sure what your definition of going to bed 'late' is, but a healthy dog should be able to hold his business overnight without discomfort. I'm also assuming you have ruled out the possibility of him being hungry (feeding a snack before bed is a good idea if you haven't explored this idea) and an outside distraction disturbing him.

If you have ruled out all of the above, I'm afraid I'd go down the 'mean mummy' route and tell him to sternly be quiet & then ignore until you get up at a more reasonable time.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 06:32 PM
I am afraid I am with labradork on this one, I am not good when I am woken up for no reason, so a good stern "shut up" is what he would get from me. I would still try and make the room a bit darker if you can, get some thicker curtains that may help.
emma47
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2011, 10:53 PM
It does sound more like the light or his body clock waking him up earlier but it is worth ruling out something else waking him. Ted had a few nights where he was barking at 2am turned out to be our next door neighbour coming home after his shift. Once we realised that i'm afraid i just shouted down ENOUGH! which stopped him and he didn't bother again. I hope you can sort it out and get some sleep soon
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Just thought I'd update what's happened since I asked for help...well, it's not any better
This morning was particularly bad as it woke my husband up (he's one of those who don't do well with no sleep) and I decided enough is enough, we have to do something. I have no problem with him sleeping upstairs, my husband was understandable worried about his allergies...but we're going to try something.
I've made a den so he's got the landing and a little of each room with the stairs blocked for safety and he can see us from where he sleeps. It means he can't get on the bed or let his hair travel too far.

What do you think?

The front panel is in our room, the back is the other bedroom, and the right is our stairs. Should be enough room for him, just gotta make it comfortable for him. The hardest part was getting him up the stairs, he was like a bucking broncho, but we did it! Down was a lot easier, just guiding with his collar. I'm sure he'll get better at it as he can do other stairs, ours are just steep with no run up.
I'm really hopeful that it's going to work well, I'll let you know in the morning! If this doesn't work, I'm really out of ideas.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Well...I can report a very good nights sleep! He did as predicted and was silent all night! He even let us sleep in! Very happy, still hard getting him up the stairs, but hopefully he'll click that it means he can sleep upstairs
boxergoggins
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Glad youve all managed a good nights sleep!!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >