View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-06-2011, 09:53 AM
thanks for all the replies... going to buy some cookie cutters and get making some biscuits when pay day arrives

id imagine for puppies follow the same reciepes but maybe feed less, as liver can be rich etc.
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks for a great thread

Well, I've been inspired today and had a go at this

Originally Posted by ruthshaw9 View Post
I make mine liver biscuits. I just buy a pack of lambs liver, I blitz it with one of those stick hand blender things, get it as smooth as you can, add an egg, some chopped garlic ( I use the ready chopped frozen stuff ) then half porridge oats and half plain flour to make it to a texture that can be rolled out then you can use cutters to cut out the shapes or just cook it as a slab and cut it into pieces when it's cooked. You can either have it soft or leave it in the oven longer to have it crunchy. My dogs love it. It freezes well too.
When I started I had visions of elegant little bone shaped pieces but ended up with a vile smelling splat
Anyway, my little tip of the day for all the non-cooks out there (like me) is that plain flour is probably a better choice than the self raising I used...

So, we've ended up with more of a dog cake than biscuits, but I'll chop it into little squares and freeze the bulk of it. She certainly likes it, anyway
ruthshaw9
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-06-2011, 04:52 PM
As long as she loves it, it's a success! Be warned though, if you take some with you on a walk every dog within a 100 yard radius will want to be your friend!
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Murv View Post
Thanks for a great thread

Well, I've been inspired today and had a go at this

When I started I had visions of elegant little bone shaped pieces but ended up with a vile smelling splat
Anyway, my little tip of the day for all the non-cooks out there (like me) is that plain flour is probably a better choice than the self raising I used...

So, we've ended up with more of a dog cake than biscuits, but I'll chop it into little squares and freeze the bulk of it. She certainly likes it, anyway

Making liver biscuits was one of the more revolting things I have experienced. Can do similar recipe with tuna.
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-06-2011, 05:37 PM
It wasn't the nicest thing I've ever done I must admit!

Still, after the above picture was taken, I cut it into small lengths then stuck them back in the oven for an Hour on low.
They were a roaring success

Had to throw the blender away afterwards though, just couldn't get the liver out properly
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-06-2011, 08:01 PM
I bought a book of dog treat recipes from ebay and it came with 3 bone shaped cutters only a couple of quid if I remember correctly
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

22-06-2011, 09:33 AM
Sounds nice!

Thing is, it's easy to get carried away with these I think.
I was congratulating myself on my culinary prowess at creating such tasty dog treats, then was jerked back to reality on last nights walk when she tucked into a fox turd with just as much enthusiasm...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2