Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Well done for trying, sorry the little fella didn't make it
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Oh, thats so sad well done for trying though.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-06-2011, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by Murv View Post
We've tried a few over the Years, and never had any luck. We very much try to leave them be where possible and hope the parents can deal with them, but sometimes it's just too much of a cat risk.
We had a baby Blackbird that fell from it's nest last Year, but luckily, with a borrowed ladder and my heart in my mouth (I'm not good with heights!) managed to pop him back in the nest.

The only real success story was a young injured Crow that hopped into our kitchen one day!
I put him in the shed, and left scraps and catfood for him until he was obviously able to fly well again a couple of weeks later then left the door open for him.
The feeling of seeing him taking to the air and disappearing into the distance was fantastic

Hope Jack(ie) does really well in your care
Sorry to hear the little birds didn't make it

I was interested in your post about the young crow because Ifound one in my garden yesterday. I came home from work yesterday & found it flapping around behind the bins. I managed to catch it by putting a towel over it & can't find any sign of injury but I couldn't just let it go again as either my cats or one of the neighbourhood cats will get it. I put it in a cat carrier with water & chicken. No sign of the parents around. I put the cat carrier on the garage roof (our garage is down a slope so I can see across the roof) & opened the door of the carrier. It was hopping around the roof & eating mince meat & cat food, & it had a big drink of water. Then over the evening it made it's way along a wall & into a big tree that overhangs the garden wall. No sign of it this morning but I hope it made it through the night & comes back for some more food.
Murv
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by wilbar View Post

I was interested in your post about the young crow because Ifound one in my garden yesterday. I came home from work yesterday & found it flapping around behind the bins. I managed to catch it by putting a towel over it & can't find any sign of injury but I couldn't just let it go again as either my cats or one of the neighbourhood cats will get it. I put it in a cat carrier with water & chicken. No sign of the parents around. I put the cat carrier on the garage roof (our garage is down a slope so I can see across the roof) & opened the door of the carrier. It was hopping around the roof & eating mince meat & cat food, & it had a big drink of water. Then over the evening it made it's way along a wall & into a big tree that overhangs the garden wall. No sign of it this morning but I hope it made it through the night & comes back for some more food.
Well done, good luck with it!
I think Crows may be a little easier to look after as they're so intelligent. Hopefully he'll tuck up tight in the tree and be back for more food today. Unless he's feeling recharged and made off of course
musky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by Ollies mum View Post
So sorry to read this
thank you for trying with the poor little thing-you did all you could do
Maureen
Thank you Maureen

Originally Posted by Murv View Post
Well done for trying, sorry the little fella didn't make it
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Oh, thats so sad well done for trying though.
Thanks Murv & lozzibear

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post

Thanks wilbar, but it sounds hopefully for your little crow, it's amazing just how tough they are and hopefully as Murv's says he is recharged, it's a tough old world out there
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 07:03 AM
Sorry the little one didn't make it.

I handreared a blackbird from a baldy to when it flew the nest a few years back it is a very difficult thing .... I know.

Lovely to hear you tried and Im sure it is flying around at rainbow bridge now xxxxx
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Sorry to hear the little ones didnt make it,

Baby birds are so difficult to get right in terms of hand rearing. We had a whole nest of bluetits last year as my dad chopped their bush down before checking if anything was in there. Only 1 survived past day 4 and he/she almost made it to point of release and then one morning she had died!!

Very frustrating too but so worth it when you get to release day
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2