Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
but the people are travelling. its a way of life for them, and when they get to where they are going, there will be more ponies, travellers are often in groups, so there will most likely be more than one pony. they cant let it run round and wander when they are parked up by a road, thats more unsafe than being tied up and not being able to run away from a predator, which there arent really going to be many of really.
I know...true.. But the horse didn't choose to belong to a traveller, I always think they look so sad, none of the ponies/horses I've owned would ever have enjoyed that way of life, I can barely bear to look at them when we pass.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by akitagirl View Post
I know...true.. But the horse didn't choose to belong to a traveller, I always think they look so sad, none of the ponies/horses I've owned would ever have enjoyed that way of life, I can barely bear to look at them when we pass.
suppose so, but most travellers buy their ponys from other travellers (thats the whole point of appleby) so i suppose although it may not be right, the horses have known no different anyway.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-05-2011, 09:51 AM
That's sad, horses are herd animals, I hate to see a horse/pony alone..

Horses are prey animals, they take flight from danger, so not ideal to be tied up 24/7, I hope it doesn't cause itself an injury one day..Very sad
Its no more likely to injure itself due to being tethered, then it is if it was grazing in a field.

Animals dont choose to belong to any human, we decide their fate what ever it might be.

Horses adapt , as do other animals, yes they are heard animals but many live a solitary life , and they do OK with it.

There no reason a horse tethered and owned by travelers should be any less content than any other...cruelty is another matter altogether.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2011, 10:56 AM
lol my hates being in with our old girl prefers to be on his own. i had a lady yesterday who told me there wasnt enough grass for her,she can get laminetic so shes not allowed alot of grass and i shouldnt have anyone on her over the 5 1/2 stone weight on her shes a nf pony 12.2 but they are bred for grown men to ride all day in the forest!!
most ponies are hardy its when owners start to pamper them then you have the problems
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 11:46 AM
It could possibly be entire? Just a thought (its what i thought and checked when i came across a similar pony the other week in the middle of nowhere near a footpath). it had an empty waterbucket and the bucket was always empty when I went (a number of times due to the hot weather to check) so id fill it up from the river which was about 40yds away and it was always very grateful. I went back the other evening and it is now loose (with its bossy little shetland friend) the other side of the river which is nice.

Cob types can live off fresh air and gypsy coloureds are hardy sorts so i wouldnt fret too much and some horses can be quite antisocial x It of course would be more natural for it to be free to roam in a field (although some horses are never satisfied! i refer to my friends 2 who have a 5+ acre field with lush grass and yet they still sneaked out and ran around the garden like a pair of beggars before legging it back to their field)

youve a good heart, and am sure the pony appreciates your chats and scratches x
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 01:54 PM
Does this pony look like this..(the bigger one)

Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
Does this pony look like this..(the bigger one)

Yes, it is the spitting image, except this one is a lot younger.

So, is it a Gypsy Cob?
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 06:43 PM
How do you know its younger???

Yes its a gypsy cob..
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by Louise13 View Post
How do you know its younger???
Because it is a lot smaller and has a young looking face!

ETA. Sorry, I take it you mean how do I know that the pony near me is a lot younger!
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Getting confused now..

DO you mean the one in the picture is smaller and younger or the one near you is smaller and younger?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >