Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
How often is she fed Nippy?
I feed her twice a day Hev, when she eats it. She often won't eat more than once and often not at all

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Yes sometimes empty tummies will gather acid up overnight & something really plain like Rich tea or Marie biscuits given before bedtime will help alleviate the problem

Yes dogs can get ulceration throughout the gut/bowel

You could try the dog on a very bland diet for a week or so to see if it helped

You could ask your vet about giving an antacid product last thing at night & first thing in morning & see what he/she suggests - which product to use & doseage etc
I have tried the bland diet, it works for a time then we are back to square one

Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Have you tried Pepsi with charcoal boneos/biscuits. My friend has a JRT with similar problems which were solved with the charcoal. Just a thought. Hope her tummy problems get sorted soon. xx
Charcoal biscs is another route I have thought of but not tried. I was worried they would be too difficult to digest

Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Antepsin liquid suspension is for forming a protective layer and healing of stomach/intestine? and zitac to help stop sickness/spasms?, sorry if not very well explained, others will know how to more, along with your vet but hope helps a little for you to know are not alone with what's going on x
I will talk to the vet about this when I next see her.

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sorry to hear about Pepsi I am having the same thing here with Zena atm, is it the heat Jen? She throws up breakfast within seconds, so I then try lunch, that usually gets thrown up too, even though I've waited an hour after a walk, but of course, we're not even walking in this heat at that time of day either The only meal she will hold down is an evening meal at 9pm! Very strange. Could it be the heat that is upsetting them like this?

The grass is an absolute nightmare too at the moment, coz it's spring grass, it's sweet, they love it, and I've now got myself a couple of ponies here who are manic to get at it on our morning walk, so I've had to change my walking area to avoid it!

That's all I can throw in I'm afraid Jen

There is a stomach settler you can give to dogs, I've Googled it in the past and most people give it, the human one, is it pepsid bismol or summat? Lots of people swear it sorts out dicky tums, but I wouldn't take that route, I stick with a live yoghurt, and if Zena doesn't fancy anything else, she'll usually eat a bit of yoghurt first thing if she's feeling a bit sick. I'm sure it's this heat Jenny. Don't forget too, if Pepsi's been in the sea, that can sometimes cause a lot of sickness can't it, not only the fact that it's the salt in the water, but maybe a few nasties in there too!

Good luck with her, I really haven't any advice to offer, only to tell you I've got the same here, and I've almost got a dog resembling a whippet coz she's only on one meal a day now, and of course, being a large breed I daren't give her a big meal!
Pretty sure it's not the heat. All this was happening from day one.
Live yogurt is the route I am going to go down for now, then I will see what happens.
If she does eat in the day it stays down, she only vomits in the night and only liquid.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 05:39 PM
I am fighting stomach problems at the moment the vet prescribed Zantac 75mg half tablet 2 times a day.

Note vet charged me £8.21 for 7 tablets and I bought 12 from boots same thing same dose for £3.45

That is for a at the moment 30lb Stafford.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi Jen - Charcoal biscuits shouold be easy to digest and are sometimes recommended with dogs who have acid build up. You can get those little tiny boneo ones - worth a try.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 05:57 PM
I have this problem with Katie, in her case its because she is ill with renal disease, there is so little i can give her,itgets very frustrating & despairing especially when she stops eating & she absolutely loathes her perscription diet . Poor little thing hasn't much going for her at times

I think you are wise to ask the vet before trying any antacids. I used to have to dose Rosie with antacids at bedtime with her liver disease
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
I am fighting stomach problems at the moment the vet prescribed Zantac 75mg half tablet 2 times a day.

Note vet charged me £8.21 for 7 tablets and I bought 12 from boots same thing same dose for £3.45

That is for a at the moment 30lb Stafford.
oops Pepsi is 9lb. So I would definately need veterinary advice.

Hi Jen - Charcoal biscuits shouold be easy to digest and are sometimes recommended with dogs who have acid build up. You can get those little tiny boneo ones - worth a try.
It is worth a try and will get some when I can.

Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I have this problem with Katie, in her case its because she is ill with renal disease, there is so little i can give her,itgets very frustrating & despairing especially when she stops eating & she absolutely loathes her perscription diet . Poor little thing hasn't much going for her at times

I think you are wise to ask the vet before trying any antacids. I used to have to dose Rosie with antacids at bedtime with her liver disease
Poor Katie and so stressful for you.
I wonder if the vet thinks I am fussing. I'm going to give her a few more days then I'm off to sort things with the vet.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
oops Pepsi is 9lb. So I would definately need veterinary advice.

It is worth a try and will get some when I can.

Poor Katie and so stressful for you.
I wonder if the vet thinks I am fussing. I'm going to give her a few more days then I'm off to sort things with the vet.
No one knows a dog as well as its owner & your vet should realise that
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Is this a long term thing or a recent one? My dog has always had a dodgy tum, and will randomly vomit during the night. Some times it can be a few nights in a row, other times it's only once a month. He gets up, paces (usually causing me to try rush him to the door) and normally vomits before I have even got the keys in the door. Then he is fast asleep before I've finished cleaning up the frothy phlemy mess... Not really sure what it is.
He will eat grass year round, but this didn't start until we walked him with a dog which liked to lick the dew of the grass in a morning. I have the sort of dog who likes to copy but often gets it totally wrong.
Over the past 3 weeks my poor baby has been very ill though. Scared me alot, even had to go in on a drip, and when he came home he had to be on 10 small meals during the day and night, just to keep him going otherwise he became very lethargic and would collapse. We are now down to about 6, but if he seems off he gets an extra one.
At the moment I'm hearing about lots of poorly dogs, not sure what is going on.
Sorry it's so long, just wanted to explain my situation.

My advice would be to keep going to your vet everytime something new crops up. Call them with new ideas and questions. At the end of the day it is their job, and this is your dog so it is your job to make poor Pepsi feel as good as you can

Which charcoal biscuits would you recommend. I have tried the boneo ones but worry about the value of ingredients. Any body know what sort of charcoal it is? Am I just being stupid, but can't imagine giving my dog the stuff of the BBQ???
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 06:49 PM
The vet may offer cimetidine or similar for excess stomch acid but if they go without food too long they can get like this, maybe she suits 2-3 smaller feeds?

other than that, rawfeeding sorted this out for my dog.

Edit - you can also buy charcoal out of the chemist and sprinkle on food but it should be a short term thing

Edit -
Pretty sure it's not the heat. All this was happening from day one.
Live yogurt is the route I am going to go down for now, then I will see what happens.
If she does eat in the day it stays down, she only vomits in the night and only liquid.
You could also try cottage cheese
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 07:20 PM
SJ we adopted Pepsi in December and she has been like it pretty much from when we brought her home.
What you are describing sounds like our situation. Hubby and I can be seen haring out to the back door nearly every night.
She is not what I would call ill but I will be talking to the vet again.

Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
The vet may offer cimetidine or similar for excess stomch acid but if they go without food too long they can get like this, maybe she suits 2-3 smaller feeds?

other than that, rawfeeding sorted this out for my dog.

Edit - you can also buy charcoal out of the chemist and sprinkle on food but it should be a short term thing

Edit -

You could also try cottage cheese
Concerned about cottage cheese, is there lactose (dairy) in it?
If she would eat 2-3 meals a day this would not be a problem but she often won't eat anything until about 7-8pm
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
SJ we adopted Pepsi in December and she has been like it pretty much from when we brought her home.
What you are describing sounds like our situation. Hubby and I can be seen haring out to the back door nearly every night.
She is not what I would call ill but I will be talking to the vet again.

Concerned about cottage cheese, is there lactose (dairy) in it?
If she would eat 2-3 meals a day this would not be a problem but she often won't eat anything until about 7-8pm
Sounds like she maybe has a bit of an acidic tum
Would you try slippery Elm Bark powder with raw chicken mince and bio-yoghurt (goats)? It may be worth a try?

Its apparently not as bad as say, cows milk, as fresh cows milk for lactose. You can also use cows milk and shake and 'air' each day keeping it in a warm place for a few days for it to be a bit easier digested but if you can get goats milk or goats cheese this is digested easier by many dogs apparently. Remember yoghurt comes mainly from cows milk and is dairy too.

My boy doesnt get these problems anymore on a raw diet and also gets goats milk, yoghurt, cheese as snacks.

Edit - if you made steamed fish for her a few times a day, would she eat it warm? JUst so you can see if she is any better on several meals per day? My dog never used to eat well if he could help it but seems fine with raw. That is my dog though and so I cant say for yours, only what helped us and hopefully may be of help to you. My dog also liked the bark powder, you could try mixing the powder, meat and plain/natural bio-yoghurt (made with goats milk) up and offering spoonfuls throughout the day and see if that helps prevent the sickness?

Sorry I cant be of more help than that.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >