Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
I would much rather use a bit more petrol to keep my dogs cool than rely on open windows - A/C was a big deciding factor in my new car. Not that there's many situations where I'd decide to take the dogs out when it was that hot but for necessary trips, e.g. vets, I'm definately going to use the air con.
Opening the window can be fine if you're a human, the air flow takes away sweat and cools your skin, the same was as a fan - but dogs don't sweat like us so this doesn't work. If the air outside the car is cooler than the air inside the car, sure, but lately I've found having the window open just makes me feel hotter because the air is so muggy, so I can't see it working for the dogs.

I think SB's idea of preventing the car from getting hot with covers is probably one of the most efficient ones.
If the aircon in the car isn't that good, maybe it needs regassing or something?
interesting theory, except.....the current warm days havent exactly been muggy nor stifling, just moderate.

its only brits that would think that way

and the air outside a moving car would always be cooler than the air inside a car, due to slipstream.....just like a fan, as you said.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
interesting theory, except.....the current warm days havent exactly been muggy nor stifling, just moderate.

and the air outside a moving car would always be cooler than the air inside a car, due to slipstream.....just like a fan, as you said.
I agree again.

I've never ever used the air conditioning in my car. In other countries where it is genuinely humid and hot, it is often essential. But over here bar the very odd day, it is rarely hot and humid enough to warrant the use of it IMO. I think I could count on one hand what I would describe as experiencing 'proper' humidity in this country.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Karly - maybe it does need re gassing - it is 11 years old afterall...I'll ask OH to take it to garage and have a look - although shouldn't they cover it on the MOT?
They wouldn't regas the AC in an MOT I wouldn't have thought. An MOT is just a test to make sure your car is road-safe, the garage itself may do repairs if your car fails, to make it road-worthy, but the AC wouldn't really make your car a danger to drive unless it was falling out from under the car or about to catch fire or something (if that's even possible!). A service might include it but it's probably something you have to request.

Well I live in Britain and I think it's muggy. Maybe it's not as muggy as other countries but I don't live in those other countries so it's muggy to me
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
They wouldn't regas the AC in an MOT I wouldn't have thought. An MOT is just a test to make sure your car is road-safe, the garage itself may do repairs if your car fails, to make it road-worthy, but the AC wouldn't really make your car a danger to drive unless it was falling out from under the car or about to catch fire or something (if that's even possible!). A service might include it but it's probably something you have to request.

Well I live in Britain and I think it's muggy. Maybe it's not as muggy as other countries but I don't live in those other countries so it's muggy to me
Ahh yeaah - we'll have to have it checked then - it feels as if the faster we go the cooler it blows, so it's useless when we're not on the motorway or country lanes. The exhaust needs checking anyway so I'll put a word in about the Aircon.

I think it's bloomin' muggy here too - maybe not as warm as some countries but the past few days have been awful - I can't stand it too warm, it's allowed to go up to 18 Celsius in my opinion - any more and it's too warm! Can you imagine summer if this is just Spring?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-04-2011, 10:49 AM
I have to say as a woman of a certain age the thought of a car without air con would be unthinkable for me never mind the dogs. Mine is very efficient and according to the OH is like sitting in the freezer, better that than being a sweaty betty and no having the windows and roof open is no substitute especially in London traffic and I don't want the fumes and dirt coming in either. If my aircon broke it would be a major disaster
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 11:00 AM
I dont find a problem when the car is moving - I keep it cool enough for me so its fine for the dogs (im not great with heat)
I have cooling bandanas for all 3 of us when its really hot and that makes a huge difference

and the most important thing I have found is keeping the car cool when parked
Park in shade where possible, reflective screens on windows and when its really sunny I have old sheets I tie over the windows too (I dont care what the car looks like)- even on a full agility show day parked in a field my car is lovely and cool
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 11:02 AM
My car was chosen with Max's convenience in mind! I had the boot and back windows tinted and that does make a difference. He is secured in the boot between a tailgate and dog guard so has no access to stick his head out of the window. He has a cage fan fitted. In moving traffic I have the windows open for him. If we are in stationary traffic I put the air con on for him. If you want the windows open but are worried about your dog sticking its head out of the window you can get some RAC guards (about £6 from PAH) that slot in place with no fixing required.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I think it's bloomin' muggy here too - maybe not as warm as some countries but the past few days have been awful - I can't stand it too warm, it's allowed to go up to 18 Celsius in my opinion - any more and it's too warm! Can you imagine summer if this is just Spring?
yes, another 10 degress over summer, and it will be perfect

definitely has been no humidity this week though.
still fresh and breathable.
i always know when its humid, my asthma kicks off.

we brits....cant stand a little bit of cold, cant stand a little bit of heat....
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 11:08 AM
yes, another 10 degress over summer, and it will be perfect

definitely has been no humidity this week though.
still fresh and breathable.
i always know when its humid, my asthma kicks off.

we brits....cant stand a little bit of cold, cant stand a little bit of heat....
Maybe in your part of the country - but having a bit of a chest infection this week I certainly am appreciating the noticable lower humidity today after the storm we had yesterday.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I have to say as a woman of a certain age the thought of a car without air con would be unthinkable for me never mind the dogs. Mine is very efficient and according to the OH is like sitting in the freezer, better that than being a sweaty betty and no having the windows and roof open is no substitute especially in London traffic and I don't want the fumes and dirt coming in either. If my aircon broke it would be a major disaster
Having driven through London in Summer without a/c and then done it with - a/c would be a major point for me if I lived there!

It is also a major plus for long drives - everyone stays cool, as much as I try and avoid hot or busy times driving - it is not always possible (and you can't always predict traffic jams!!)
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >