Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Found this out ...

To legally have sheep on your land you need to have a County Parish Holding Number (CPH) for the land on which the sheep will be kept. To obtain this number, contact the Rural Payments Agency (RPA) on 0845 6037777.

Once you have this number, you can then move sheep onto your land under a general licence, ensuring that you fill in correctly a movement document, which should be provided by the seller of the sheep. You can obtain copies from your local Animal Health Divisional Office.

After the sheep have moved onto your land, you will need to contact your local Animal Health Divisional Office who will register your sheep and provide you with a Flock Mark which is a unique identification number for your sheep/property.

All this information is available on the DEFRA site, together with information about double tagging of your sheep, a new practice that has become law in January this year. These rules apply whether you have one sheep or one thousand.

You'd be unlucky to get an inspection from DEFRA but better safe than sorry. Animal Health are allowed to make planned visits but also unplanned spot checks too. Keeping good records of all movements of livestock, a flock register, any medications given and correctly tagging are essential.
DEFRA have produced a useful guide that you may find helpful which is a Code of Recommendation for the Welfare of Livestock.
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I thought Rob wasn't a fan of sheep/lambs?
He isn't but I am. Actually, I have been a bit inspired by the programme the Dales and quite fancied having a couple this year and Sam is desparate to get one.

Also, not sure without asking Allan, but you may need a CPH holding number (from DEFRA) to keep sheep .... might be worth looking into? Also they will need to be tagged and given a flock number. I will ask Allan if you like?
We've got it sorted

We only have four pets at the moment, and hope not to have any more really - even though they are very sweet
Luke has actually done very well for pet lambs this year, so hopefully, he will have something for us.

Helen
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2