Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
C'mon H be fair - tell us what it means to you. We don't all have to share the same opinion
I'm not the one who's not being fair!

I love and care for my dog, and any other that I either come into contact with, or can directly help. I've helped with many rescue dogs aswell as my own. Given advice to owner who don't know what to do for the best etc.
johnderondon
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-04-2011, 12:01 AM
Some people love dogs. Some people love owning dogs.

The two things are not necessarily the same (although it can look very similar from afar).

To me the term 'love' means to subordinate my own interests to that I profess to love.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by johnderondon View Post
Some people love dogs. Some people love owning dogs.

The two things are not necessarily the same (although it can look very similar from afar).

To me the term 'love' means to subordinate my own interests to that I profess to love.
Very well put . They are not mutually exclusive, many people love dogs & love owning dogs.

My view of "loving" my own dogs is also to put their needs above my own. But I can't profess to be noble enough & unselfish enough to put the needs of ALL dogs above my own needs. However I do support causes that help animals in general, I do voluntary work for animal charities, I'll help out wherever I can & I'll speak out against deliberate cruelty. I hope that makes me a "dog lover".
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 07:35 AM
My dogs mean the world to me. I would do anything for their comfort and happiness. I would also do the same for ANY dog that crossed my path, under pretty much any circumstances.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-04-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
C'mon H be fair - tell us what it means to you. We don't all have to share the same opinion
i think she is beign very fair, she had a very personal insult given to here, not a nice thing,

Back on topic, do I consider myself a dog lover, yes I do, others may not , but thats their problem.

I love dogs, I love the dogs I have, the dogs I have lost, those I know, and will know, i would never go out of my way to hurt a dog, and will if I am able to help one.

I dont like some dogs, but that does not mean I dont love them as a species,
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:38 AM
I am not sure that the word "love" is an adequate word to describe the relationship I have had with my dogs and how I feel about dogs generaly.
To me its all about a mutual attraction and an interest in sharing a relationship with another animal, who is so different, yet so similar in many ways. It is also about appreciating the beauty, spirit and differences of of that animal, one with many abilities superior to our own. I suppose really it is also maintaining a glimpse of the wild and a world we have long since left behind; something that personally keeps my feet on the ground.
This animal, a dog, willingly comes trustingly to humans to share an existence and takes so little in relation to what it can give.
It is also about the empathy and understanding which is built up together over the years you are together.
All in all I think dogs are quite special animals. I don't keep them for what competitions I can win with them, or what prestige I may gain, or even for my own safety, but rather for the pleasure of having them around and sharing in my life.
Sorry if that all sounds a bit romantic and airy fairy, but Azz I think you have asked quite a complicated question.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:39 AM
I love and care deeply for my dogs... I am sickened by any abuse of dogs, in whatever shape or form.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 08:50 AM
I love my dogs, but i dont think i would call myself a dog lover. The reason I say this i do quite like some dogs that other people have but dont really feel anything for them, other than some look nice.

My own two dogs I love to bits, would do anything for them etc. I dont want to see other dogs hurt but i just dont have a love for every dog going iyswim.

So I love my dogs, but am not a dog lover, if that makes sense.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Being a dog lover means, at the moment, a big dent in my bank balance!

Cherry's costing lots of pennies 'cos of her eye problems
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2011, 09:11 AM
PS-sometimes people use the word "love" but to me they are not dog lovers-like the lady on "It's me or the dog" who had 6 dogs she "loved" but she never walked them! Love is about responsibility to enhance and enrich life not just gushy feelings.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >