View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-04-2011, 02:01 PM
there is no excuse. it all comes down to the same thing, with any animal. its too easy to go out and buy life without having to think about it or answer to anyone about the conditions you keep your new 'best friend' in. It makes me feel sick
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2011, 02:49 PM
The issue of neutering cats angers me far more than the issue of neutering dogs. We can control the latter to most of the extent but with cats, if they are let out we have absolutely no chance of controlling their breeding.

I dont think owners realise just how much of a problem they are causing, not only to the numbers of unwanted cats, but also to the health of their own cat who's body soon weakens and that shows in subsequent litters.

It's disgusting quite frankly.
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-04-2011, 09:21 PM
I got my cat from the Cat Protection League and they gave me a voucher to have her spayed at the local vets.
She was an indoor cat for 7yrs, then when we moved she suddenly became an outdoor cat, I shudder to think what could have happened if she wasn't spayed.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Part of the problem i feel is tge fact that Vets insist kittens are 6 mtgs befire spayng/neutering. There are many kittens who come into season around 5 months. Our Amber was 4 mths & possibly only because we have up to now kept them as undoor cats, we caught on very quickky what was happening. No one could believe a kitten so young was in season! Apparently its not unheard of. The vets soon changed their minds once they realised she was inseason, their 6 mth spay policy flew out the window!
(
Male cats should to be 26 weeks if done earlier it can be linked to kidney problems later on. The cats protection i helped with would spay females earlier.
ATD x
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Motley View Post
there is no excuse. it all comes down to the same thing, with any animal. its too easy to go out and buy life without having to think about it or answer to anyone about the conditions you keep your new 'best friend' in. It makes me feel sick
Too many are given "free" - free to good homes (in other words they want "rid", free kittens etc.

People dont care - if the kitten wanders off, its all too easy to get another
VickyC
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2011, 12:59 PM
There is a lot of thought at the moment about getting kittens neutered early - many vets are neutering cats from 4 months, earlier in cases of rescues or ferals: http://www.cats.org.uk/news/cat-char...ering-register

Far too many kittens have litters themselves, and I personally don't think there is any excuse (unless a specific medical reason not to undergo an anaesthetic) not to have cats neutered. If money is a concern there is certainly more assistance available to help pay part, if not the full, cost of surgery.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 08:39 AM
I'm pretty sure that I've been played surronding one litter, and I'm so angry, basically the female went missing for a couple of days, were assuming that she became pregnant then, but conviently the family have a holiday booked during that time so was gonna take the female around to their parents house, where she's never been incase she gives birth during that time, so guess what muggins is now watching incase she does, I so wish that this female was spayed, I was asked what to do when she was giving birth, and I said all I'd do, is that if she let you watch her give birth and call the vets, and it would probally be emergency if anything looks like its going wrong, and I got told that they don't have the money, believe me, if anything goes wrong when I'm watching her she'll be going to the vets, and as I don't drive if I can't find someone to get her there she will be travelling via their 'pet ambulance' whether they can afford it or not, they let her get in this situation they can sort it out if needs be. Oh and I've also been told that I'm looking at this too negatively, she will be fine, isn't it great that people can see into the future? I myself would rather be ready and prepared and everything, so I'm gonna have to join Catsey to see what people recommend to do with cats giving birth.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
It's disgusting quite frankly.
My thoughts exactly. And there is no excuse. We have 3 cats and our vets would not neuter/spay any of them before they reached 6 months and we knew that the could breed from an earlier age. So, they were each housecats until they reached 6 months. Not cruel as we have a big enough house and we managed to make an area in our garden where they could play when supervised without wondering off. I know it sounds daft and we got a few mocking comments about supervising our kittens outdoors. But we now have 3 cats who are all neutered, who play in or out as they please (until the cat flap is locked to keep them in at night) and who are well looked after. I think part of the problem is that there are so many kittens 'free to a good home' or costing as little as a few pounds, so little thought is given to the longterm care and cost of them... and then of course often the novelty wears off once they are no longer cute and fluffy little kittens - or sooner if they are curtain climbers!!

Originally Posted by chaz View Post
I'm pretty sure that I've been played surronding one litter, and I'm so angry.
I would feel exactly the same as you, in fact I do after reading your posts about this - and I am not even involved! How irresponsible and blatant of these people. Also, they seem to have enough money to go on holiday! If I had (irresponsibly) found myself in their situation, I know fine well what I would be putting my money aside for. People seem to forget that these are innocent, living, breathing creatures. Drives me mad!! Good luck with it all and I hope it all goes smoothly for the cat.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Manyana13 View Post
My thoughts exactly. And there is no excuse. We have 3 cats and our vets would not neuter/spay any of them before they reached 6 months and we knew that the could breed from an earlier age. So, they were each housecats until they reached 6 months. Not cruel as we have a big enough house and we managed to make an area in our garden where they could play when supervised without wondering off. I know it sounds daft and we got a few mocking comments about supervising our kittens outdoors. But we now have 3 cats who are all neutered, who play in or out as they please (until the cat flap is locked to keep them in at night) and who are well looked after. I think part of the problem is that there are so many kittens 'free to a good home' or costing as little as a few pounds, so little thought is given to the longterm care and cost of them... and then of course often the novelty wears off once they are no longer cute and fluffy little kittens - or sooner if they are curtain climbers!!
If I had cats I would do the same, to me I say I love animals too much to even risk adding to the unwanted population, its just a shame IMO that more people aren't the same

Originally Posted by Manyana13 View Post
I would feel exactly the same as you, in fact I do after reading your posts about this - and I am not even involved! How irresponsible and blatant of these people. Also, they seem to have enough money to go on holiday! If I had (irresponsibly) found myself in their situation, I know fine well what I would be putting my money aside for. People seem to forget that these are innocent, living, breathing creatures. Drives me mad!! Good luck with it all and I hope it all goes smoothly for the cat.
I wouldn't go on holiday either, my animals are my responsibilty, and they are worth more then time away any day. I just feel for the cat and however many kittens she has that are involved, I just don't see why people have animals if they treat them like this
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2