View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:00 PM
If I have been at the vets, and another dog has started barking at Teagan, or pulling their owner to her, I ask them to move/go outside!

Teagan is always well behaved at the vets until another dog starts on her.
The vets is one place she never starts, she is always 'picked on'.
Don't see why I have to move/wait outside if it's their dog that has reacted first! (Im stubborn!)

It happened a month or so back, and I told a guy with 3 small dogs to move, as his dogs were winding up my dog, and causing her to bark/pull etc - his dogs were the one who ran up to Teagan and barked in her face, so I told him to move (he let them, as obviously they were on lead)!
He did move, and his dogs continued to be little s**ts! The receptionist/vet nurses were even getting annoyed!
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Oh I love Cairn terriers! I had 2 together once too. They were lovely dogs. Never barked at another dog or showed aggression except once when Angus chased another dog away that was growling at Rusty. The lady round the corner from me has a Cairn which we met regularly and I want to steal her! She insists on calling her a "Cain" terrier for some strange reason though!
How funny! yes they are lovely dogs, I've had 3 now and all of them have been absolutely brilliant. Rusty (red one) was an aggressive little sod with other dogs I have to say but no doubt that was my fault. Rusty and Spike I think had the same mother or maybe father not sure, got them form the same kennel a few years apart. They were inseparable and everyone in the village knew them. The last one I had was a grey called Sam who sadly died last June. I wouldn't have another one out here though but would always recommend people to them as a perfect 'small' breed to own.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 08:00 PM
If I have been at the vets, and another dog has started barking at Teagan, or pulling their owner to her, I ask them to move/go outside!
God knows what you'd do with me then. Mine acts like a complete sh*t and will lunge, roar and threaten everything as we enter the waiting room. Then when we sit down he sits or lies at our feet and behaves like a perfect angel. Since we have to go into the waiting room to book in I just get him in and sit down as quickly as I can. I can't drive so leaving him in the car isn't an option if I'm on my own.

I can deal with dogs lunging and having a snark at him as long as they're under control, it's the people who let their dogs come up to him and get in his face that REALLY p*ss me off. He's muzzled for a reason!
Rubensmum
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Thanks everybody for responding, think in future we will wait outside and avoid any confrontation
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
God knows what you'd do with me then. Mine acts like a complete sh*t and will lunge, roar and threaten everything as we enter the waiting room. Then when we sit down he sits or lies at our feet and behaves like a perfect angel. Since we have to go into the waiting room to book in I just get him in and sit down as quickly as I can. I can't drive so leaving him in the car isn't an option if I'm on my own.

I can deal with dogs lunging and having a snark at him as long as they're under control, it's the people who let their dogs come up to him and get in his face that REALLY p*ss me off. He's muzzled for a reason!
Ahh, that would be fine at my vets, as the reception desk isn't near the seats!
I always sit as far away from the desk as possible *just in case* (as obviously you get queues etc), but people still love to come, sit right next to me and let their dogs get up in Teagans face, bark, snap etc and upset/annoy her!
She is DA, but only if a dog 'starts' on her first (if you know what I mean)!
At the vets she just lays on the floor and snoozes!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 09:45 PM
I really wish vets were laid out better. Trying to pay when alone with Rupe can be an absolute nightmare! I try to get the last appointment of the day so that I can pay in peace At least booking in I only have to give my name.
Rubensmum
New Member!
Female 

29-03-2011, 10:06 PM
I agree my vets reception area is very small and because I drive there I always take him straight out put him in the car and come back in to pay, I have noticed there is a hook on the front of the reception desk so you can clip the lead on and be hands free.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Rubensmum View Post
I agree my vets reception area is very small and because I drive there I always take him straight out put him in the car and come back in to pay, I have noticed there is a hook on the front of the reception desk so you can clip the lead on and be hands free.
Yeah, there is on ours too but if I hooked him to that I'd have even less control of him than if I had hold of the leash. Not to mention the desk isn't fixed to the floor, I can just see my dog flying out the door after a passing cat with the desk following him
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 11:29 PM
Many vets will make provision if your dog gets hyped up in the reception area when other dogs are there. As said, leaving the dog in the car until it's his turn is one answer. Some vets will, if you let them know in advance, arrange for you to go in by an alternative door and, if the problems not serious, ie a general check for meds, some vets will examine the dog outside or in the car.

All dogs on lead, small space, strange smells and often a place associated with pain. There's no wonder really that even good natured dogs that never show any sign of aggression can kick off in the vet's reception area
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I really wish vets were laid out better. Trying to pay when alone with Rupe can be an absolute nightmare! I try to get the last appointment of the day so that I can pay in peace At least booking in I only have to give my name.
As Max is DA, once we come out of the treatment room, I go and put him back in the car, then bring in my handbag and pay!

Trying to manage a DA dog, handbag, bank card etc in a room smaller than a normal lounge filled with dogs/cats/small furries, people and kids is a nightmare!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >