Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Tabitha, at 20 months and taking into account the breed which are generally slow to mature, the recall issues are probably more due to age than your training methods. Fighting against the nature of the dog and blaming yourself will only get you frustrated. He is a very young dog still and he will get better naturally in his desire to meet other dogs/people with time and age. By all means keep up the training though -- it all helps.

If it is any consolation, my Dexter spent a LOT of time on a Flexi lead at that age. He would gladly trot off with any random old stranger we passed, heeling obediently (he never did that for me!) alongside THEM while I was calling in vain. He stopped being quite so obsessed with people/other dogs at around 3 years of age and has become insanely easy...and lazy...since!

Thank you LABRADORK

Yes, I guess I forget how young he is because he's so big and in some ways, quite self-contained.

Also because when he came to us he was already 13 months, and apparently had NEVER been told what to do by anyone, I think that's made it harder to install a good recall.

But as you recommend, I will of course keep going - with Dex on a long line. A long, long, long line

Thanks for the encouragement Much appreciated
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2011, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
Do you know anyone locally with a pretty calm stooge dog? It may be that the jump from empty tennis court to park with dogs/peopel around is a bit too much - maybe you could find someone with a stooge dog to help you practise in the tennis court then in the empty park, standing with their dog further away and slowly decreasing the distance. I saw a video on Youtube on how to desensitize your dog to dogs and people playing nearby but can't remember the name of it at the moment, I'll try to find it later, but it was basically a stooge working from just sitting there with their dog calmly laying and slowly building up to playing with the dog stationary, then playing a game of fetch, etc. in gradual steps.

Thanks for this suggestion, I will try and find a calm dog; at the moment all of Dex's mates are about as bouncy as he is
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:41 AM
I think as others have said, his age has a LOT to do with it, in which case it's a matter of working through and ensuring you don't teach the wrong things accidentally!

Are you making sure that you stick to the "rules"?

For example:

Don't recall when you know he is not likely to respond - go to him or reel him in, instead.

Don't recall him just as he is boming off to see other dogs, or as he is in themiddle of play with them - wait until he is tired, about to flop down, and then call him and give HUGE rewards!

Then over time, you can start to call him gradually earlier and earlier (but let him play at other times too, of course).

Also you can use play as a reward for obeying you - e.g. when he does come back to you, you can take his collar, say "good boy, off you go" and direct him back to play

I've seen many a good recall ruined by peeps calling dogs at the wrong time, or making the recall cue meaningless.

If you've accidentally done this, then consider using another word/whistle

I can't recall if he's neutered, sorry. If he's not then he may just have a huge urge to be extremely sociable at the moment

Wys
x
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-03-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I know this topic comes up a lot but am really hoping someone can help me get to the next 'stage' of recall with Dex:

I have been trying to train recall for almost ten months.

I started at home, and pretty quickly Dexter seemed to 'get it'. He will come INSTANTLY if I recall him at home.

Ditto if I recall him from the garden. INSTANT response.

Next I tried in a tennis court, when the park was quiet - and sometimes in the park itself, when it's empty.

Again, no problem - Dex will come when called.

So when nothing else is happening, he will come.

But no matter WHAT I do, if there's another dog, or people around, I simply cannot get a reliable recall.

I have tried:

- high value treats
- toys
- jumping and yelling
- running backwards as in 'chase me'
- all of the above combined!

So now I have to keep him on a long line; I've just ordered a new, 30ft one. I would dearly love to have a really good recall but just can't seem to get there

Can anyone help me with where I'm going wrong?

Thank you for any advice
you've tried everything.
you must need an ecollar
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 08:22 AM
Do you have any "key words/emergancy words" Loaded up with him?

Have you a good name response, (NOT a recall, just a good name response) & are you still training the name response with distractions? Do you load up the name response throughout the walk, & when you first get out of the car?or get to the park?

Ive said it about a billion times before, but no-one takes any notice, but teach the recall in FOUR separate parts
Part 1. Name response
Part2. Come (thats the RUNNING back bit must be praised as SOON as the movement starts)
Part 3.all the way/nice close to me
Part4. stay here with me until you are released

I find in general that the "come" is not taught correctly, ie the final getting back to you bit is rewarded, but not the 5 seconds before bit whilst the dog is actually running!

To me,the most important bit is name response
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-03-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post

Have you a good name response, (NOT a recall, just a good name response) & are you still training the name response with distractions? Do you load up the name response throughout the walk, & when you first get out of the car?or get to the park?

Ive said it about a billion times before, but no-one takes any notice, but teach the recall in FOUR separate parts
Part 1. Name response
Part2. Come (thats the RUNNING back bit must be praised as SOON as the movement starts)

I find in general that the "come" is not taught correctly, ie the final getting back to you bit is rewarded, but not the 5 seconds before bit whilst the dog is actually running!

good post

my big thing is people not following points 2. and 3.

i think the chatty encouragment is key, especially along the way as he is running toward you....i tend to whoop it up, call out "yaaaaay", that sort of then.
so 2. kind of merges into 3.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 09:54 PM
I am glad I came across this thread!
Alfie is exactly the same... although he can take his time in coming back if he is sniffing something....

Might give smokeybears method a shot with the food!

How long should you continue to do the food/recall like this for?

Alfie doesn't bother with treats outside, even today I took some chicken and he tuned his nose up at it!
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
you've tried everything.
you must need an ecollar

That's not even funny

I would never, ever use an e collar on my Dexie. Never.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post

Part 1. Name response

I start praising him as soon as he turns to look at me - before he even (hopefully) starts heading over to me.

Thanks for the advice, am going to remember it
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I think as others have said, his age has a LOT to do with it, in which case it's a matter of working through and ensuring you don't teach the wrong things accidentally!

Are you making sure that you stick to the "rules"?

For example:

Don't recall when you know he is not likely to respond - go to him or reel him in, instead.

Don't recall him just as he is boming off to see other dogs, or as he is in themiddle of play with them - wait until he is tired, about to flop down, and then call him and give HUGE rewards!

Then over time, you can start to call him gradually earlier and earlier (but let him play at other times too, of course).

Also you can use play as a reward for obeying you - e.g. when he does come back to you, you can take his collar, say "good boy, off you go" and direct him back to play

I've seen many a good recall ruined by peeps calling dogs at the wrong time, or making the recall cue meaningless.

If you've accidentally done this, then consider using another word/whistle

I can't recall if he's neutered, sorry. If he's not then he may just have a huge urge to be extremely sociable at the moment

Wys
x

I think you've made a great point - I have sometimes tried recall when it was probably never going to work.....

I'll be careful not to make this mistake any more, many thanks

Yes, he is neutered, but still very drawn to the girls....
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >