View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 10:50 AM
The yank and shout method is unfortunately still taught in many places.
IMO a dog learns better when he is making the choices. So turning and weaving when a dog pulls helps the dog make choices to follow rather than lead.
Jerking isn`t necessary. It`s the same as having good hands when riding a horse. A certain level of sensitivity is called for. I use a long loose lead but don`t normally use my voice when turning because I use my voice to praise when the dog is in the right place.
I find it better to do half turns at a fairly gentle pace. Turning into the dog is also good.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 11:22 AM
I really do not see the point about getting OTT about ANY tv programme/book/trainer.

The fact is that ALL of us are different, NOBODY is going to agree with ANYONE else on ALL things.

So, take what you like, ignore what you do not.

I have attended training seminars with people who demonstrated methods I did not agree with, but I don't get all hot under the collar about it, I pay attention to the areas which DO appeal to me and take that away.

There is always something to learn from EVERYONE, even if it is how NOT to do things.

No matter WHO was on the TV some people would take issue with some things.

So, watch programmes with a degree of disinterest, detach yourselves from them and look at them as you would do say at work, discuss the pros and cons and make the decision that suits you!

Simples
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 11:26 AM
I agree with SB on this, but it's easy for trainers to say. For owners looking for that magic pill that will stop their dog pulling, jumping up etc, then there is far more likelihood that 'these methods will be tried at home'.

Discussing the pros and cons, however, is, what I thought, forums were about.

Yank and jerk? The jerk yanks, the dog suffers
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 11:37 AM
The jerk yanks

too true,
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 11:49 AM
The problem is if it is on tv then people copy it without any understanding - and the poor dogs get jerked aroound by their neck

Reminds me of a young collie I was asked to hold at a show

Lovely dog, and I guessed her owner was a little heavy handed with her training from other things I had seen

With this little girl she would charge to the end of the lead, as soon as there was any pressure on the lead she would LEAP backwards - al 4 paws off the ground - and slam into your leg in a heel position
Poor girl was preempting the jerk but had no idea she was expected to walk in the nice heel position all the time because she had never been rewarded for being in position
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 12:03 PM
Standing totaly still when lead is tight - until they choose to slacken lead
makes sense for the dog, and is dead easy for any size of dog
Until you get a dog who just sits down with the leash still tight and continues to scan the horizon for 40 minutes. I think I'd still be standing there now if I'd waited him out

I used the about turn method and there's no need to jerk the dog. Sadly it's all too easy to spin around, drop part of the leash so there's plenty of slack, march off and give the dog a hefty yank because you've moved so quickly they haven't even had a chance to follow you. Doing it that way is no better than just yanking them back imo.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Until you get a dog who just sits down with the leash still tight and continues to scan the horizon for 40 minutes. I think I'd still be standing there now if I'd waited him out

I used the about turn method and there's no need to jerk the dog. Sadly it's all too easy to spin around, drop part of the leash so there's plenty of slack, march off and give the dog a hefty yank because you've moved so quickly they haven't even had a chance to follow you. Doing it that way is no better than just yanking them back imo.
But to sit the dogs neck goes back slightly and so the lead slackens a little bit - I take that as good enough - not asking for the dog to come right back to heel right away (if ever) just asking for the dog to be aware of me and do something when the lead is tight that shows they are aware that I exist

Mia did that - and no I am happy, when I stop walking she sits, it makes her look really well trained - in actual fact she is asking me to get moving again by sitting politely
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 12:46 PM
It concerns me slightly that people are just "turning" expecting the dog to anticipate what youre about to do. If done correctly at the precise moment you turn you should say the dogs name & a command word eg "Rex; turn". Do the same if turning into the dog.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I really do not see the point about getting OTT about ANY tv programme/book/trainer.

The fact is that ALL of us are different, NOBODY is going to agree with ANYONE else on ALL things.

So, take what you like, ignore what you do not.

I have attended training seminars with people who demonstrated methods I did not agree with, but I don't get all hot under the collar about it, I pay attention to the areas which DO appeal to me and take that away.

There is always something to learn from EVERYONE, even if it is how NOT to do things.

No matter WHO was on the TV some people would take issue with some things.

So, watch programmes with a degree of disinterest, detach yourselves from them and look at them as you would do say at work, discuss the pros and cons and make the decision that suits you!

Simples
Well yes however as Ben says people watching it at home will see it as an acceptable way to train dogs. My point being it showed a small dog yanked back off its feet

Surely this type of dog training with or without check chains should be discouraged.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2011, 02:27 PM
I agree, however it is the tv company that it is putting it on that should be targeted with the reasons why.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >