Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I suffered domestic abuse for 10 years both physical violent and verbal.
I define it as using anyform of physical violence or threats of violence and any form of verbal degrading abuse that leaves you feeling scaredor in fear of your life, or that slowly takes away your self confidence leaving you feeling you are no good and its all your fault and you no longer strong enough to get out.
Sorry I am not very good with words so havn't described it too well. I know what I want to say in my head but can't put it into words.
Id say you did an excellent job of describing what it was hun
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Any action that makes you feel threatened, it can be physical or mental, and undermine your self confidence.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Domestic abuse can be physical, psychological,mental cruelty,harm of any kind(should know went through years of it). Finding the courage to leave was one of the hardest but best things i ever did(the threats continued for years afterwards too) n wouldn't have survived if hadn't, leaving a child without a mother and possibly in the hands of the person who inflicted so much pain doing the same to them. It's a terrible, terrible thing
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 06:48 PM
Official definition of Domestic Abuse/violence.

"Any incident of threatening behaviour, violence or abuse (psychological, physical, sexual, financial or emotional) between adults who are or have been intimate partners or family members, regardless of gender or sexuality."

This includes issues of concern to black and minority ethnic (BME) communities such as so called 'honour based violence', female genital mutilation (FGM) and forced marriage.

Whatever form it takes, domestic abuse is rarely a one-off incident, and should instead be seen as a pattern of abusive and controlling behaviour through which the abuser seeks power over their victim. Typically the abuse involves a pattern of abusive and controlling behaviour, which tends to get worse over time. The abuse can begin at any time, in the first year, or after many years of life together. It may begin, continue, or escalate after a couple have separated and may take place not only in the home but also in a public place.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. It is very sad to read that some of our Dogsey members have been victims of DA.

Thank you. X
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I suffered domestic abuse for 10 years both physical violent and verbal.
I define it as using anyform of physical violence or threats of violence and any form of verbal degrading abuse that leaves you feeling scaredor in fear of your life, or that slowly takes away your self confidence leaving you feeling you are no good and its all your fault and you no longer strong enough to get out.
Sorry I am not very good with words so havn't described it too well. I know what I want to say in my head but can't put it into words.
you explained it very very well, and you are very good with words, I felt the pain you much have gone through under this mans hands, thank god you got out, and hopefully now are putting the pieces together again.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 07:55 PM
i was married to a violent man. both physically and mentally. the wounds fade on the outside,but the ones inside take so much longer. even after 16 years they are still there.
i walked away from him and the house. it was only stuff.easily replaceable
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2011, 02:55 AM
I think that the mental abuse side of domestic is the worst part of it. The scars run deeper & are invisible to the eyes, which makes them easier to hide which can be dangerous for the sufferer because it often esclates to physical violence.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2