register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2005, 04:59 PM
I live within the law but I don't trust politicians at all - I think maybe some might start off with good intentions but through time become corrupt and its all about what they can personally gain rather than whats the good for the country and its people - but saying that we don't have to put up with it - we could make a stand and if enough people care and do something then changes are made but too many people just don't want to do anything to change things

As with speed cameras this gets me mad when I hear people say they are only there to collect revenue and they shouldn't be there at all - do you want to say that to the families who have lost husbands, wives, sons, daughters etc due to unneccessary speeding - some people forget that what they are driving is a dangerous and potentially lethal machine - if you want to put your own life at risk then thats fine but when you speed and if you crash or hit some-one you are then taking some-one elses life into your hands by your actions

I have seen 3 people ( children ) hit by speeding careless drivers - one of them did not survive he was so badly hit he was choking on his own tongue and ended up having his life support machine turned off so do I mind speed cameras absolutley not I think there should be a lot more as for the money raised surely it would be better to say right if you are going to make money that would be better spent on education or the NHS rather than saying stop all speed cameras!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Hold on a sec Emm - I'm very sorry to hear you've known people affected by people speeding but I never said I want to speed and I most certainly do not put anybody's life at risk. I try very hard to keep to speed limits, particularly in towns and built up areas, near schools, etc., and have never been in an accident in my life - whether there are speed cameras there or not.

BUT I have seen cameras partly hidden behind signs, bushes etc. These have not been arranged as a deterrent else they would be clearly visible. Also, have you not noticed how people speed up to speed cameras, brake suddenly causing risk to everyone, go slowly through the marked area and then speed away again only to do the same thing at the next camera? How can that possibly be construed as safe? And how does catching people going over the speed limit catch people driving dangerously, people drink driving, people in stolen cars - all things which contribute hugely to death on the roads?
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2005, 05:26 PM
Hi Lucky StarI didn't accuse you of speeding personally sorry if it sounded like that - it wasn't meant to be

If you didn't speed then it wouldn't matter if the camera was hidden or not it wouldn't be an issue - as for the people who slow down and speed up at speed cameras yeah that is really unsafe and dangerous and if you were a responsible driver you wouldn't do it

and when some-one speeds that is classed as dangerous driving - drink driving, stolen cars etc are another issue not any less important but another issue

Like I said it wasn't a personal attack on you or any accusation about what you do -
it just annoys me when people think its their right speed and no-one should tell them otherwise
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2005, 05:32 PM
No worries it's an emotive issue, for sure.

Don't think speed and dangerous driving are always classed as one and the same - doesn't it depend on how you are driving as well?

Here's a story for you - my OH was a juror in a dangerous driving case. The guy had been speeding and the police officer wanted him done for dangerous driving. He got off for just speeding as he was not driving dangerously and was no risk to anybody. He was filmed observing all traffic signals, using the roads and lanes correctly, interacting properly with the other road users etc.
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

06-07-2005, 05:39 PM
yep its difficult - personally I would say it is dangerous driving because not every-one out there knows how to drive safely at those high speeds and you might be the best driver in the world but you could come across an absolute idiot on the roads and if you are speeding it takes you longer to come to a stop etc.

also there are a lot of people who drive at crazy speeds and also drive far too close to other drivers this is unsafe as well

it all comes down to your own interpretation of the law but for me its dangerous driving
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

07-07-2005, 09:29 AM
In my opinion, if we all treated others with respect and consideration, there'd be no need for laws. That's how I try to conduct myself. Examples:

The dogs on a lead sign. As I said in my post up there ^^^^ there was no-one about other than one geezer with too much time on his hands, who Jake had no interest in. We were a fair way from a road, so no danger whatsoever. Therefore, the sign got ignored.

'Safe' speed for driving. Some cars are designed to go around twice the max legal limit. Presumably the manufacturer can back up that the car's capable in all respects. On an out of town road, with no other traffic, let 'er rip! In town, sometimes way under the limit is appropriate! A safe driver will be able to make an informed decision. An unsafe driver will drive inconsiderately, erratically etc. which MAY include going too fast. Is a 'safety' camera gonna catch someone driving too close? Nope! 70 mph on a dual carriage way with torrential rain? Fine!

Needless to say Emm, I'm sorry to hear you know of people who have been killed by bad drivers. Chances are those drivers were also in the habit of tailgateing/chatting on their phones etc... Who knows?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2