Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
It's odd to be honest.

What i did notice was that all the dogs were very very quiet - but to the point of it being strange rather than good training.I noticed this straight away.

I dont understand why they need this. In the Uk, Canine Partners, Support Dogs, (for example) and others do not use prong collars or choke chains or any aversive equipment, yet their dogs are well behaved, show affection and use their brains I believe guide dogs may be the exception.

I was very disappointed. I would suggest it's either because prongs are just more accepted in the US or else because - hate to say it - those particular trainers are not as good as those in the Uk similar organisations. There may be other reasons but my mind has gone blank.

To sum up I'd say "disappointing and surprising, and possibly affecting the dog's behaviour, possibly negatively for the dog".

Wys
x
This is what I actually noticed first, then the 'collar' the black lab doesnt exactly look 'positive' does it
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Some years ago my sister went to the USA and on the advice of a GSD-owning american friend, bought a prong-collar to try on her pulling GSD at home. It was the type with the plastic caps over the ends of the prongs.

She did use it for a month or two then it hung in the cupboard for years and was finally thrown out.

Why?

In her words, it really didn't have much effect. It stopped the pulling only very slightly and only when the dog was using it.
dogdragoness
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:06 PM
It surprises me how I'll trained (imo) some of the police dogs are. There is also a lot of talk of the dominance theory, which might apply for some breeds bit not all dogs.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 08:03 PM
scary stuff really, why not just train them on a flat collar and 'pass them over' once old enough and if they 'meet the grade' I mean, if they can do it here....
MississippiRick
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-03-2011, 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by dogdragoness View Post
It surprises me how I'll trained (imo) some of the police dogs are. There is also a lot of talk of the dominance theory, which might apply for some breeds bit not all dogs.
Yes, they are something else all together. So high strung. You have to realize they don't always see action 24/7, in fact a lot of nights they will never even get out of the car except to do a potty. But, once they are called out, boy are they ready to turn it on!!!! They have only a couple of functions, find the person, and if need be, bring him down. And the mindset that they get into when attacking someone is really something to see. Then you stick them back into the car and you are riding around and if you ever have to hit that siren, they know that sound and are just going bonkers in the back seat. If it happens to be a call where they are not getting out, they cannot except that. They are back there in the car just raising hell...hahahaha...but, all in all, you got to love them for what they are, and what service they provide.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:30 PM
the dogs in the programme were assistance dogs not police dogs
Aligord
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-03-2011, 09:54 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I dont understand why they need this. In the Uk, Canine Partners, Support Dogs, (for example) and others do not use prong collars or choke chains or any aversive equipment, yet their dogs are well behaved, show affection and use their brains I believe guide dogs may be the exception.
My experience of GDBA (the biggest guide dog charity) is that they promote half check collars now after the public complained about their use of choke chains. Other guide dog charities may vary!

Ali x
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Prong collars are about as common in the US as normal collars are here.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2