View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 12:48 PM
I was told by Professor Geoff Skerritt that sedation is more dangereous than GA. GA can be reversed quicker & more safely.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Sheree I am sorry to hear about your fright and I have to say I don't blame you. I am just relieved Henry is ok and will be safely home with you soon.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm sorry to hear of the scare you had. Hope all's ok now.

One of my dogs was sedated for hip x-rays & I was quite surprised by the severity of the after effects. He'd previously had 2 GAs for ops but recovered very quickly with a huge appetite & was back to normal in no time. But with the sedation he was groggy, not himself, clingy, no appetite & clearly feeling poorly. My vet said that the after effects of sedation are similar to us having a very bad hangover
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 01:31 PM
OMG what a scare you've had this morning with dear Henry, and thank goodness you had the hindsight through previous experience to notify your vet about what you did and didn't want! I didn't realise that the sedative is more dangerous than the ga, who would in all honesty, unless you've had an experience or have worked in vet practice!

Thank goodness he's going to be ok and I hope he recovers quicky when you have got him back home. You are very wise not to go down this route again imo! I won't be having any of these sedatives for my dog in the future now, they can just knock her out instead thanks!

Good luck with your boy when he returns Sheree, will be thinking of you.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Aww poor Henry, *hugs* to you both.

I've known about long term memory problems with sedatives but not heard of reactions like this before - had I known I would have asked our vet to skip it when Rocky had one before a GA!

Hope Henry gets well soon.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Since losing a 2 year old setter to anaphylactic shock following a sedative, I've always had my heart in my throat when taking my setters for hip scoring.
Henry went this morning, I've just had a call from the vets to say he reacted, his heart slowed right down and they've now reversed the sedative, they say he is happy enough, his tail is wagging and he is fine...they didn't go on to do the hips as I had already told them not to do anything that would jeopordise him.
I'm leaving in a few moments to collect him, but that's it now, enough is enough, I'm ethical enough to know that they need to be scored for breeding but he won't be going down that route, he is far too precious to me.
I've made the decision that I won't ever have another dog/bitch hip scored so, therefore, will never be breeding again
I could kiss you right now for that. You are so wonderful Sheree xx

p.s. Good luck this weekend, will be thinking of you and let me know next dates as soon as you have them xx
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 02:17 PM
What an awful shock for you, Sheree. I hope Henry recovers really quickly.
Take care.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 02:29 PM
What a scare----lucky everyone was prepared for it.

Well done---give him a hug.

rune
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Thank you so much everyone...sorry for the delay but I picked him up and got home about midday, he has been asleep on my lap since then. He has just got up, had a stretch and a small amount of white fish, his tail is wagging and he seems ok but just lazy.

I asked the vets to give me details of what had been given, (this was not his normal vets, they couldn't fit him in for a couple of months so I went to one recommended by a friend, a lovely place and I don't think any of this was their fault, it's just down to circumstances).

The print out they have given me to pass to his vets reads as follows:
Dog premedicated with Medetomidine and Butorphanol (0.3)mg each, for hip scoring and x-rays - prior to induction of anaesthesia HR taken and found to be bradycardic (30-32 bpm) with rapid, relatively shallow breathing. MMc remained pink and CRT < 2seconds throughout - possibly arrythmia under sedation with some beats showing 2 in rapid succession - this did not seem typical of sinus arrythmia given the rapid breathing. Decision made not to anesthetise dog given elective nature of the procedure, sedation reversed, HR incerased to 43 bpm, berathing rate and depth returned to normal and no eveidence of arrythmia (sinus arrythmia only).

Henry was given a GA when he was attacked and there were no side effects from that, I thought he was having a GA here so was suprised he had a pre-med, but then I'm not a vet so have no idea what is right or wrong.

I will take the notes to his normal vets and have said to Clive that, should he ever need a GA for something in the future then I may have him scored then, but I have always had my dogs health checked as a matter of course, many of them have passed with flying colours and I haven't used them for breeding, I just like to know whats what with them.

He could have been scored and they not been adequate for breeding anyway, so we haven't really lost anything in that respect...I just feel so very guilty for putting his life on the line like that

Needless to say I was crying when I picked him up...I suppose a mixture of relief and guilt, I have everything crossed that he makes a full recovery.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2011, 02:39 PM
They always have a pre med unless its an emergency. Pleased he is ok.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »