Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2011, 08:09 AM
As someone interested in behaviour and training, I prefer Dogs Today

From this point of view, DT wins hands down over any other mag. The articles on behaviour and training problems are excellent. I don't always read the articles about pedigree dogs (so I pick and choose what I read) but I don't get the impression the magazine is against pedigree dogs, quite the opposite - they are trying to get healthy pedigree dogs.

After seeing a photo of a Shar Pei tiny puppy with it's eyelids stapled up, by a "breeder" who was thrilled she had got her new staple gun apparently, it is clear that this needs to be discussed and not brushed under the carpet.

However, maybe it should be made more clear that they are not against pedigree dogs, but against poor practices in dog breeding/showing.

Wys
x
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2011, 08:13 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
As someone interested in behaviour and training, I prefer Dogs Today

From this point of view, DT wins hands down over any other mag. The articles on behaviour and training problems are excellent. I don't always read the articles about pedigree dogs (so I pick and choose what I read) but I don't get the impression the magazine is against pedigree dogs, quite the opposite - they are trying to get healthy pedigree dogs.

After seeing a photo of a Shar Pei tiny puppy with it's eyelids stapled up, by a "breeder" who was thrilled she had got her new staple gun apparently, it is clear that this needs to be discussed and not brushed under the carpet.

However, maybe it should be made more clear that they are not against pedigree dogs, but against poor practices in dog breeding/showing.

Wys
x
I agree with this. I used to get Dogs Today because of the training stuff and other interesting articles. I have to admit I stopped buying it because Catherine O'Driscoll seemed to be in it every other month being sanctimonious and patronising...I can't stand her (can you tell) so I stopped buying it.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2011, 08:15 AM
I find Your Dog informative and fair but obsessed by puppies - a bit too geared to the first time owner maybe,
I find Dogs Today uneven - some good stuff and some poorly researched and occasionally hysterical.
But what would stop me buying a magazine was if it bored me - and neither do that.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Ksal View Post
I tend to buy whichever Dog magazine looks most interesting that month, but I have to admit I did think to myself that I wouldn't bother buying Dogs Today again after last month as it just so negative. I really like Your Dog, it does feel far more balanced and celebrates dog ownership. It's a shame as I think there are some great columnists in Dogs Today. I know the issues they are tackling are really important, but why don't they ever talk about the healthy pedigree dogs that are out there and making wonderful pets?
Same here It is a shame as I used to like dogs today
jaymacv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

20-02-2011, 02:06 PM
I buy Your Dog - never tried any othe magazine so cant comment there!
I read the article on Crufts - very interesting.
My favourite bit is the breed profiles... I'm so childish lol, I'm like "what one will it be this month?"

Jay.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2