View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 05:36 PM
One SBT Rescue that I know of charges £100 rehoming fee,I don't think is too much and in general I don't think rescues charge too much.

You may see SBT pups advertised at low prices,in a newspaper that circulates the midlands there are often quite a few litters ranging from £100 upwards,these would be poor quality,bred from classic BYB,no knowledge of the breed,no health testing and no paperwork.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 05:42 PM
No, I don't think it's too much at all. I see the adoption fee as a donation anyway, goes to help other dogs in need. They have to feed, house, vaccinate, spay/neuter etc every dog that goes through their hands.

If you don't like having to pay what is a low amount really for a dog from a rescue, then I wonder how you are going to afford or want to pay the cost of health care,feeding, dog supplies, insurance each month.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2011, 07:39 PM
NO I dont think rescues do - people would be paying much more for a decent pup in most breeds. £250 wouldnt get you a decent staff, from an ethical breeder..Just someone making a quick buck, better off saving a life.
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-02-2011, 08:54 PM
I am not sure that the opening poster meant that the initial cost of taking on a rescue was to be compared with the cost of buying a puppy. I think what she meant was - if you are to go out and buy a puppy, you get to chose whatever you want and the money you pay is appropriate to that.

If you get a rescue (which is often hard enough to pass their criteria) you are not chosing your favourite breed but accepting a dog that the rescue centre deems appropriate. And, please correct me if I am wrong, doesn't the rescue centre retain ownership of the dog? Do you not have to agree to never move house, pass it on and have to take it back if your circumstances change - all fair enough, I agree, but conditions just the same.

Rather than compare the costs of a puppy over initial purchase price - perhaps we should compare to the numerous adverts in papers offering "free to a good home" where you will often pick up a dog that is neutered, vac'd etc anyway.

Just another slant on the argument - comparing like for like rather than running and maintenance costs.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

12-02-2011, 09:12 PM
Very interesting replies all

I think what I was getting it, is that it might make the difference between your average jo getting a rescue dog, or getting one from a back yard breeder.

Either way they will almost certainly fall in love with the dog (especially if it is a pup) so was thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea to make it easier, or remove barriers (within reason) to make them choose a rescue instead - if they fall into that category of 'buyer'.

It's like if you look at how manufacturers create models to fit different budgets - very often they find that people are willing to spend a certain amount more to get the net model up, and for the average jo 'the next model up' is a pedigree.

I think people who specifically go out to get a rescue will most likely leave a bigger donation anyway - as they're approaching it from an entirely different perspective. (And conversely there are many people who will want a pedigree and a rescue won't really come into it.)

I do think it would be worth trialing for a larger rescue - so more conclusive factual information can be attained on whether it makes a difference, or not.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-02-2011, 12:26 AM
I don't think your average jo type "buyer" would necessarily go for a rescue dog anyway people seem to think they are taking on too much baggage with a rescue, and won't get a stable & loving, well behaved dog .......they couldn't be more wrong.
I dont think they should charge any less for a donation to the rescue; i donated £150 to the BC rescue i got Drift from, and if it had been £200, i would have paid it
I guess what i'm trying to say is, if people truly want a rescue dog, they won't care how much the donation if it means they are giving a loving home to a dog in need

Jann xx
Ravenwood
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-02-2011, 02:06 AM
I was on the lookout for another springer a while back and found the breed rescue centre on the web. I filled out all the forms and left all my contact details plus I phoned and left a message.

Now, you would think that there are not that many homes in the UK that are equipped and experienced enough to take on a Springer - just like BC's as you illustrated.

But - I never heard a word back, nothing, not even a generic "thank you for your e mail" So it does make you wonder just how these breed specific rescues find homes for the dogs
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by Ravenwood View Post
I was on the lookout for another springer a while back and found the breed rescue centre on the web. I filled out all the forms and left all my contact details plus I phoned and left a message.

Now, you would think that there are not that many homes in the UK that are equipped and experienced enough to take on a Springer - just like BC's as you illustrated.

But - I never heard a word back, nothing, not even a generic "thank you for your e mail" So it does make you wonder just how these breed specific rescues find homes for the dogs
you obviously didn't come to us, everyone gets a response when they submit an application form from me, because i look after the forms

anyway back to the question, lets do a bit of maths here

average cost of neutering £100
average cost of vacs £30
Chip to us - £5
wormer - £1
Flea - £1

food while they are on Foster - £5 per week, fuel to get them to foster home if not dropped off, well depends how far.

The above is just the costs associated with homing a healthy dog, not counting the ones that come in needing vet care.

We always say that the donation is not for that dog its to help the next one that comes along and have a guide of between £120 - £160 although we are considering asking for a minimum as everything is going up, for that you get a thoroughly assesed springer or cocker that if we've done our job right won't have any problems fitting in to your home.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 08:22 AM
Yes. I think in many instances they do. A good portion do not charge accordingly to the dog in question and I know of a couple people who have in the end walked away and gone elsewhere.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by Lizzy23 View Post
you obviously didn't come to us, everyone gets a response when they submit an application form from me, because i look after the forms

anyway back to the question, lets do a bit of maths here

average cost of neutering £100
average cost of vacs £30
Chip to us - £5
wormer - £1
Flea - £1

food while they are on Foster - £5 per week, fuel to get them to foster home if not dropped off, well depends how far.

The above is just the costs associated with homing a healthy dog, not counting the ones that come in needing vet care.

We always say that the donation is not for that dog its to help the next one that comes along and have a guide of between £120 - £160 although we are considering asking for a minimum as everything is going up, for that you get a thoroughly assesed springer or cocker that if we've done our job right won't have any problems fitting in to your home.
To a rescue? never? We have normal vet practices that spay for £60 and neuter for £45.
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »