View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:50 AM
I read a few----I thought some were a bit more practical than others----the lancashire heeler one was very honest! Good for whoever wrote it. Also the foxhound.

rune
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:55 AM
Dalmatian

The Dalmatian has a very distinctive appearance, being either black spotted, or liver spotted, the spots standing out well on the pure white background colour of his coat. As a puppy he is born pure white, making it impossible to know whether his spots will be black or liver.

The breed was very popular in Britain during the Regency period, and was known as the ‘carriage dog’, as he was used to run under or beside all types of carriages, from those of the gentry to the mail coach. He also used to run ahead of the horse-drawn fire engines of London, earning himself the name ‘Firehouse Dog’. When running with carriages or coaches he was termed ‘Marathon Runner’ and he is indeed a breed of incredible endurance, travelling over long distances at a moderate speed. An excellent companion and house-dog, he has a sporting side to his nature, with a good nose and a soft mouth. An active, agile dog, strong and muscular, who enjoys plenty of exercise and is more suited to country life than the town.
Breed Group- Utility
Vulnerable Breed- No
Size- Large
How much exercise? -2 hours a day or more
Length of coat- Short
How much grooming?- Once a week
Supposedly sheds?*- Yes
Town or Country- Either
Type of home- Large House
Minimum Garden Size- Large
Lifespan- Over 10 Years

I agree with all of this, although they probably need groomed everyday if you don't want thousands of tiny white hairs covering everything.
Cooper def has a sporting side to him, he is very good at pointing and finding game (and killing it) but he would much rather eat it than give it back to you
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by pippam View Post
I dont have a dog yet but I find that after having read many descriptions of the Miniature Schnauzers almost all the sites say different things about the breed so im thinking to myself just how accurate are these descriptions???
I remember that feeling! So I went with the sites/books I'd read which said 'terrier looks without the terrier temperament'! Because that's what I wanted in a dog. Pepper hadn't read that!!! and she is 100% confident, independent, high prey-drive terrier, through and through! Not all schnauzers are like that, you need to meet as many as you can, talk to as many owners/breeders as you can, but remember dogs have their own personalities and breed traits can only ever be a guide. Expect the unexpected and you'll do fine!

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
ask mother*ship she will tell you
Thanks, but we really need Mini - she's the expert on the breed!

Right need to get mine out...

J.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 10:05 AM
but remember dogs have their own personalities and breed traits can only ever be a guide. Expect the unexpected and you'll do fine!
Thats what I typically try to go by but it helps to find accurate info about about the dog so we I know roughly what to expect.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 10:17 AM
This is what they say about the English Setter:

One of the most glamorous of all breeds, the English Setter has the ability to attract not only those who admire a stylish worker, but also those who want a dog capable of being a cheerful companion.

His coat has an overall basis of white, flecked generously with black, lemon or liver, with the black or liver occasionally intermingled with tan into a tricolour. The flecking is referred to by the cognoscenti as ‘belton’, thus lemon belton or orange belton. A longish, fairly lean head on a slightly arched neck, well-set shoulders and firm straight bone, a deep chest and strong muscular hindquarters are the hallmarks of a handsome breed that should combine elegance, quality and stamina under a silky, easily groomed coat.

Development of the English Setter into the breed as we know it today began around the mid-1800s. The breed was shown at the first dog show in Newcastle in 1859.
Breed Group Gundog
Vulnerable Breed No
Size Large
How much exercise? 2 hours a day or more
Length of coat Medium
How much grooming? More than once a week
Supposedly sheds?* Yes
Town or Country Either Type of home Large House
Minimum Garden Size Large
Lifespan Over 10 Years *
The Gundog Breed Group
Dogs that were originally trained to find live game and/or to retrieve game that had been shot and wounded. This group is divided into four categories - Retriever, Spaniels, Hunt/Point/Retrieve, Pointers and Setters although many of the breeds are capable of doing the same work as the other sub-groups. They make good companions, their temperament making them ideal all-round family dogs.

I would say that it is generally quite good, but they say these dogs are easily groomed, they don't mention that they should be brushed every day or that they should be trimmed to prevent matted feet etc.

It also doesn't mention how naughty they are and that they don't have good recall
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 10:24 AM
This highly intelligent dog has an inborn instinct to work, and responds readily and eagerly to training. He was originally used for working sheep in the hills and mountains, mainly in the border counties of England, Scotland and Wales, but his prowess as a working sheepdog has now spread countrywide throughout Britain and even farther afield. It was only in the latter quarter of the twentieth century that the Border Collie assumed an important role in the show rings of Britain.
He is graceful, but with sufficient substance to withstand the elements. A silent worker, he responds to any signal, audible or visual. His disposition is kindly as he is loyal and faithful by nature. Capable of thinking for himself, he is often used in mountain rescue work, makes an excellent tracker and is also used as a sniffer dog.
He needs a lot of exercise, thrives on company and will participate in any activity. He is dedicated to serving man, but is the type of dog who needs to work to be happy and is not content to sit at home by the hearth all day. Before becoming a full champion he must have a work qualification.

Breed Group - Pastoral
Vulnerable Breed - No
Size - Medium
How much exercise? - 2 hours a day or more
Length of coat - Medium
How much grooming? - More than once a week
Supposedly sheds?* - Yes
Town or Country - Country
Type of home - Small or Large House
Minimum Garden Size - Large
Lifespan - Over 10 Years
hmm - I guess most of that is accurate - but of course you can get short coats....mine does not get brushed more than once a week (usually)..and exercise.....mine probably does not get that every day - but I do a fair amount of training.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by Mother*ship View Post
Exactly! Especially as Affens have a harsh coat so it doesn't really get knotty and don't Crested have that lovely, silky fur that tangles easily (like my daughters )?

J.
yep, knots knots knots
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 10:45 AM
The Estrela mountain range is in the central part of Portugal and the Estrela is the Portuguese relation of the flock-guarding dogs that can be found anywhere from Asia halfway across the world to the shores of the Atlantic.

The breed standard isn’t joking when it describes this dog as sturdy and well built: he is made on a generous scale, and that goes for his nature as well. His devotees say that he is almost too good with children, as he tends to tow his owners towards them at high speed!

He is relatively trainable in the basics of good canine behaviour, but doesn’t consider that retrieving is any part of a dog’s normal way of life. He is easy to groom and a good trencherman, being unfaddy in his appetite.

Lest he should appear to be altogether too good to be true, it is worth noting that he has a loud voice, which he delights in using at frequent intervals, not always at the most convenient moments. He is also a prodigious leaper, so runs have to be well made to confine him, if that is the way an owner reckons to keep him.

This is a breed that has built a small but dedicated following in the UK and has much to commend it if a large dog is appropriate.

[Hmmmm.....I think this description is a bit, wellllllll.....lets just say it doesn't exactly prepare someone for what an Estrela actually is! I've never known an Estrela towing owners towards children, although the breed do tend to really like kids, they are standoffish with anyone they don't know. I think 'trainable' is pushing it a bit, they are independent and will only do things for you if they agree that it's a good idea. Dan is trainable but is the exception to the norm. I agree about easy to groom, particularly if they are house dogs. Unfaddy??? Not on your life! Estrelas are terrible to feed and often self starve. Yes they are noisy, unless you train them not to be, and they do like to escape and go wandering. I don't like the last bit though - these dogs are not suitable for the average pet owner. They are very guardy, independent, and for people who are willing to accept that they are still quite primitive in their behaviour at times. There is also a bit at the bottom on the website abour pastoral dogs in general, and it describes them as herders. These dogs are NOT herders and will never respond to commands in the same way as collies etc.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
im going to like this thread if enough people reply i dont understand how they can say a dog needs a big garden,at work the garden is huge for the flatcoats (they need a sit on lawn mower to cut the grass) and you can garantee that all the dogs will lie on the flagged patio, by the door when you shut them out if your not out there with them
I agree. I don't have a big garden but my dogs aren't short of exercise either. In fact I have a damaged fence panel at the moment so the garden isn't secure and they aren't let out, and it hasn't affected them at all.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
One of the most popular of all the terriers, the Staffordshire is renowned for his courage, which unfortunately can lead him into bad ways with other dogs owing to his tendency to ‘get his retaliation in first’. With the human race, however, he is kindness itself, and his genuine love of children is well known. He is descended from a cross between the Bulldog and a terrier, and thus combines the temperaments of the two breeds.

Despite his historical connection with fighting, he has become a great favourite in the show ring, but this has not been allowed to affect his traditional rugged looks.
Breed Group
Terrier
Vulnerable Breed
No
Size
Medium
How much exercise?
About 1 hour per day
Length of coat
Short
How much grooming?
Once a week
Supposedly sheds?*
Yes
Town or Country
Either
Type of home
Small or Large House
Minimum Garden Size
Small/Medium
Lifespan
Over 10 Years
Most of that is accurate,apart from the retaliation bit,I have found that Staffords as a rule will not start a fight,they will go out of there way to avoid trouble but should it come there way then they as a rule will not back down to a challenge.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >