Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 11:08 AM
a few figures:
87% of strays in Ireland are destroyed.
14% in England
Under Irish law a stray dog has 5 days to be reclaimed or re-homed, a dog surrendered by it's owners 24hrs, if neither happens the dog then faces euthanasia.
Now have a look at the 2 pictures at the bottom of this page.
http://www.paws.ie/
(it`s OK. It`s before and after.
Now - do you think need stops at a border?

My Shamus was taken out of an Irish Pound on the day he was due to be killed by an Irish Rescue. He was transported by Allbreeds to the UK and I adopted him. None of that cost any of you any money. All these rescuers are volunteers.

Dogs Trust already cherry-pick `rehomeable` dogs. As do the RSPCA. They are free to make their choices - as do other Rescues who are more prepared to take those dogs that have less of a chance.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 11:08 AM
There is no way I think it is wrong. I have huge respect for Many Tears rescue and for other smaller rescues who help in a small way with dogs from Ireland and elsewhere.

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
For those who disagree....

How do you feel about individuals who bring dogs back?Does it make a difference because they are using their own money? or do you feel the same because they are giving their 'place' to an imported dog when they should have looked at home first?

We have a dog from Spain here and have rehomed one from Thailand that someone brought back...both needed new homes due to unforeseeable problems - Would it have been Ok if they could keep the dogs, but became wrong because they then had to rehome?

I find it difficult, because as much as I see a huge problem here, they are all dogs and they all deserve a good life.

As too allowing more space for Irish PF's......surely if you take that stance, do you not agree with rescues full stop? after all, they allow PF's here a way of disposing of unwanted dogs.
An individual choice , is yours to make, and I have no problem with that.

But the title is "should RESUCES give priority to UK dogs"

In which my answer is Yes!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
a few figures:
14% in England
Under Irish law a stray dog has 5 days to be reclaimed or re-homed, a dog surrendered by it's owners 24hrs, if neither happens the dog then faces euthanasia.

My Shamus was taken out of an Irish Pound on the day he was due to be killed by an Irish Rescue. He was transported by Allbreeds to the UK and I adopted him. None of that cost any of you any money. All these rescuers are volunteers.

Dogs Trust already cherry-pick `rehomeable` dogs. As do the RSPCA. They are free to make their choices - as do other Rescues who are more prepared to take those dogs that have less of a chance.
Yes I still stand by my opinion, we are not helping the countries deal with their own problems and have a huge number of dogs in rescues. If we got the figures down to the hundreds then perhaps we could help other countries but we have to look at our own first.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-02-2011, 11:16 AM
Depends on the remit of the rescue .
I have no problem if a private rescue chooses to help dogs from Ireland, Portugal or Spain.
People who contribute to these rescues know where their money is going ..
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy
a few figures:
14% in England
Its very sad , and no I DONT think need stops at the border, but sadly we have to may dogs needing homes as it is, bringing more in, only escalates the problem here, and frees the problem there for more strays.

There is never an easy answer, because when you see individual dogs, its heartwarming to see the results, but it still does not change my mind, on the whole, we need to "fix" our own problem before we try to "fix" others
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 11:20 AM
It is such a difficult one. The UK has a huge problem with unwanted dogs and so my gut reaction is that the rescues here should try and do what they can for UK dogs first and foremost. However, how can you say no to dogs from abroad who are also in desperate need? The problem is such a massive one.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
For those who disagree....

How do you feel about individuals who bring dogs back?
Does it make a difference because they are using their own money? or do you feel the same because they are giving their 'place' to an imported dog when they should have looked at home first?

We have a dog from Spain here and have rehomed one from Thailand that someone brought back...both needed new homes due to unforeseeable problems - Would it have been Ok if they could keep the dogs, but became wrong because they then had to rehome?

I find it difficult, because as much as I see a huge problem here, they are all dogs and they all deserve a good life.

As too allowing more space for Irish PF's......surely if you take that stance, do you not agree with rescues full stop? after all, they allow PF's here a way of disposing of unwanted dogs.
I think this is one of the 'head -v- heart arguments.

From the heart - If presented with a dog that was in desperate need of my help in another country, I doubt that I would turn it down on the basis that I would go and find a dog in this country to help instead.

Individuals have different reasons for the rescues they take on or the charities/programmes they support. Sometimes the heart tells you to do something which the head may not entirely agree with.

From the head, yes, I think people's finances and energy could generally be more efficientcy spent helping the animals in this country rather than another. But if a charity is set up to specifically help overseas animals, that's fine too as those that are donating have chosen where the money is to be spent.

As for the supporting PF argument - I'm really not sure. I guess it depends what you think the PFs would do with the dogs if they didn't hand them to rescues. Personally I think it would make no difference to their actions, BUT perhaps it would produce more of a public outcry that their 'used' dogs were being pts rather than 'going to a loving home'.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
What you chose to do with your own time and money is your own business Tassle as I am sure seeing a dog first hand would be very hard to pass it by. Good on you for caring.
But my point was that 2 of these dogs had to then be rehomed in this country....Is it just about the money then?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 11:23 AM
As I said before, I think we have a big enough problem here without bringing in more dogs for rehoming from other country's. Instead of complaining about how many dogs are in rescue here, lets concentrate on them and let other country's do the same for their dogs.
Page 2 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »