View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:46 AM
Have you tried putting a stuffed kong in there with her? I would practice through the day, just popping her in there with something nice, and building up to shutting the door, but staying with her, then doing the same thing, but just moving about the house so she knows you are there She might have started to associate you shutting the door, to being left alone, thus creating anxiety and reluctance to having the door shut.
Hope you sort it soon and manage to get some sleep Good Luck

Jann xx
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:03 AM
Originally Posted by pasiphae View Post
Well I give up. Its half midnight and after an hour of being unpleasantly loud and hyper she has finally crashed out....unfortunately she still didnt go in her crate and is spawled out on the floor so another sofa night for me I guess. Cant face anymore fighting tonight
Is there any way you can move the crate into your bedroom for a few nights? Might help her to settle.

If not, does she settle in a room on her own if she is allowed a little more freedom? A safety gate across the kitchen door giving her free roam of the kitchen may do the trick if so.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Sounds to me like the poor dog is claustrophobic and suffering from that myself I know how terrified she must be feeling.
I think you are making too much of having her shut away. I personally would be taking her to your bedroom with a nice basket and all getting a relaxed nights sleep.
The state your getting yourself in she will be picking up on and it will be making her more anxious.
I think she after being through pound life and goodness knows what else she is just very insecure and needs to be near you for some reassurance.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:45 AM
Well I give up. Its half midnight and after an hour of being unpleasantly loud and hyper she has finally crashed out....unfortunately she still didnt go in her crate and is spawled out on the floor so another sofa night for me I guess. Cant face anymore fighting tonight
I wouldn`t be fighting a scared dog. There are no winners here. Is it really that important that she is in a crate?
pasiphae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:09 PM
I dont think she's scared, she's just wilfull She's so destructive at the moment that yes she does need to be secured or watched all the time. I'm in the process of sorting out some 1-1 training for us both but I'm beginning to doubt my ability as a doggy mum I love her to bits and I'm trying so hard to do whats right for her.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 12:18 PM
I dont think she's scared, she's just wilfull She's so destructive at the moment that yes she does need to be secured or watched all the time. I'm in the process of sorting out some 1-1 training for us both but I'm beginning to doubt my ability as a doggy mum I love her to bits and I'm trying so hard to do whats right for her.
I slept on our dining room floor for 2 or 3 weeks when we first got Max... he was the whiniest dog ever. I couldn't even leave him downstairs for 30 seconds whilst I went to the loo without him crying like an actual baby!

Freckles doesn't want to be away from you. You are now the 'safe' thing in her life, and she wants to be with you ALL the time. It's like having another baby in the house.

I'd say 99% of us on Dogsey have all sat crying at some point, from exhaustion and anger and mixed emotions, when our new dogs/pups have completely confounded us with their behaviour. You're not a rubbish dog mum, it's just that you and Freckles haven't yet worked out a compromise!
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:11 PM
She wont go in at all tonight....not even with the door open she's been in and out of it all day quite happily. She's toileted, walked, fed, watered etc she's tired but wont chill. She's going mental at me and I'm not even doing anything. Just feel like sobbing
Oh dear, pups can be really hard work at first, and just like kids (I imagine) all are different, have you tried taking her and the crate into your room, at least that way you get a bed rather than a sofa. By the sounds of it to me she just really doesnt want to loose sight of you and if by not going into her crate you will stay with her, than thats what she will do. I have to say that I have never crated a dog in my life I just move everything I didnt want distroyed out of the way.
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Is it so important she is crated? I have one for fosters, but never used one with my own dogs, just used a dog gate to keep them contained in the kitchen when I went out. I just removed any objects that may be tempting to a dog.

If she is unused to a crate it will take time to train her to use one, or she may have been crated a lot int he past and have bad associations with them.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Not wilful, just wondering where she fits in at the moment. Her world has been turned upside down more than once so right now she's both worried and possibly a little scared.

One to one training with the right trainer will put your mind at rest, put things into perspective and give you all the tools you need to help your girl.

You're not a bad 'mum', just one that is overwhelmed by a worried dog. Don't worry, that elusive corner will be turned
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Have you considered a puppy pen or room divider?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >