Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Appalling!!
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 09:31 PM
I know someone that has imported a candian champion CC who is debarked..I have seen this dog a few times, once when with her litter of 7week old puppies - I do find it hard to believe that dogs who are debarked can communicate in a normal manner.
Its a barbaric practice and one better left banned over here in the UK.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-01-2011, 09:59 PM
But dogs are visual communicators and they can still make some noise!

I wonder if they like barking because of the sound or the sensation? I know deaf dogs who bark like mad!

I dislike it as I think there are ways to manage barking that still allow the dog to bark when you don't mind, or even need the dog to.

Adam
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 10:04 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
But dogs are visual communicators and they can still make some noise!

I wonder if they like barking because of the sound or the sensation? I know deaf dogs who bark like mad!

I dislike it as I think there are ways to manage barking that still allow the dog to bark when you don't mind, or even need the dog to.

Adam
They are not completely reliant on visual communications - Scent plays a Huge part and vocalisations play another.

Not right IMO - oddly the deaf dogs I know are silent unless left.
The pointer in particular has lost a lot of communication through not vocalising. He does not know how to stop rough play - he has NO idea of a growl.
I have to watch him and Zeff carefully, as although they play well, If Zeff gets to OTT Perran has no way of telling him not to. (He just does not know how to)
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

30-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Thats interesting, I know a very vocal deaf border collie. I agree about the play issue to an extent. Certainly deafies seem to lack bit inhibition.

Can debarked dogs still growl/yelp?

Adam
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Thats interesting, I know a very vocal deaf border collie. I agree about the play issue to an extent. Certainly deafies seem to lack bit inhibition.

Adam
Bite inhibition?

Not found that to be honest.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 10:30 PM
The dog I have meet couldnt - her puppies were hanging all over her, and usally a bitch would growl/yelp at them - this girl didnt she did make a noise a few times although it was far from what she should sound like more of a squeak if thats what you would call it..Its a weird noise one I can not explain.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
The dog I have meet couldnt - her puppies were hanging all over her, and usally a bitch would growl/yelp at them - this girl didnt she did make a noise a few times although it was far from what she should sound like more of a squeak if thats what you would call it..Its a weird noise one I can not explain.
Do you know how the pups turned out?
Was there anything noticeably different about their behaviour?
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Do you know how the pups turned out?
Was there anything noticeably different about their behaviour?
Puppies are 8months now - I saw them at just after 7weeks, and again about 4months and one not to long ago.
At 7week and 4months old they were very nippy, little sods that were out of control (nothing like a usal CC litter - well to a certain extent)- some may say it was due to the lack of communication from their mother - like putting them in their place. The one I saw not that long ago has became very timid and shy, such a respectful little pup that wasnt pushy/demanding or anything like that.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Awful. Why the hell do people seem to want dogs but then want to subdue/restrict/abate everything that makes them a dog?
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >