Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

30-01-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I find this deeply disturbing.
So do I. Her dog should have been returned to her the same day she went home.

Subsequently some checks could be carried out and discussions with the owner would have enabled a far happier outcome.

So very sad
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 05:43 PM
This is so sad to read and echo's in a way thoughts i have about dogs being so good and of benefit to folks wellbeing. It must be a very fine line sometimes with this and both dog and owners best interests. I have a best friend in her 90's and am always 'on call', go walk her dog who means the world to her. It is such a shame that the poor woman and her dog couldn't have had more help to stay together
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Oh, that is heartbreaking so so sad... I agree with C&D.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 11:18 PM
i do think its very sad,however being devils advocate, had she collapsed at home and not been checked on and the dog had come to harm etc, you might have had people blaming the rescue for not acting sooner etc.

I would have thought the son should have tried to do more to get the dog back - even if that meant he took responsibility for the dog to ensure its well being etc.,

Very sad for the lady and her family though...
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
i do think its very sad,however being devils advocate, had she collapsed at home and not been checked on and the dog had come to harm etc, you might have had people blaming the rescue for not acting sooner etc.

I would have thought the son should have tried to do more to get the dog back - even if that meant he took responsibility for the dog to ensure its well being etc.,

Very sad for the lady and her family though...
but that is the point she shold be at home in a familar home with a care package put into place to make sure they were safe.

very sad situation, although on the other hand I rehomed a cat when a lady was in and out of hospital sometimes for 4 months at a time. she couldnt cope at home, and had to go into care and agreed to rehome him, she use to send him letters and cans of tuna and the people who rehomed him reply and send pictures.

ATD x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by ATD View Post
but that is the point she shold be at home in a familar home with a care package put into place to make sure they were safe.

very sad situation, although on the other hand I rehomed a cat when a lady was in and out of hospital sometimes for 4 months at a time. she couldnt cope at home, and had to go into care and agreed to rehome him, she use to send him letters and cans of tuna and the people who rehomed him reply and send pictures.

ATD x
assuming the rescue centre were contacted initially to care for the dog when the lady went into hospital. so perhaps when she was released she wasnt very clear, dementia can leave someone confused and saying things they dont remember etc, so perhaps she said she siddnt want dog back etc and again playing devils advocate the woman felt she really couldnt cope with the dog etc.

Sadly carers arent responsible for feeding peoples pets walking them etc so perhaps no one was offering support... think its another case of dont believe everything you read etc/

My nonno is beginning to show signs of dementia and is very confused and gets annoyed with you as insists he has told you things when he hasnt and denied saying other stuff...??

i do think its really sad I just dont trust the source very much either !!!
Terrierdachs
New Member!
Female 

31-01-2011, 01:00 AM
Absolutely tragic. Could they not have returned the dog and found someone to offer practical help? Dogs matter, but people are darn important too!
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2011, 10:21 AM
I agree with C&D, this was tragic and avoidable. There are ways the dog could have been monitored in the home. How does one person with NO training in determining a persons mental fitness get off taking a persons dog away from them.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2