Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lyns
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2011, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I have had two dogs that had thier anal glands removed and its the best thing I ever done for them. No more discomfort or having to empty them and certainly no problems afterwards.
The only thing I will stress is to have a surgeon experienced in removing the glands do it as there is a lot of nerve endings around that area and if they are not experienced then you could get problems.
I personally wouldn't hesitate to have the op if I had a dog suffering badly with them, just speak to the vet and make sure they have done plenty of them and thier success rate is good.
I left my first dog so long and she had them emptied so much they thickened so much one wouldn't empty any more and the other was difficult and painful. the poor girl was in agony i should have done them sooner.

Thanks for posting this reply it really put my mind at rest, personally I feel that my vet is the best in the area. My auntie runs the charity Iris's Cats In Need obviously as a massive pet lover she swears by the vet, so I thinks we will definately be having it done. My poor dog has been so miserable and uncomfortable for the past few weeks I dont think we have any other option
Findley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

24-01-2011, 10:00 PM
Anal glands are a just scent glands either side of the anus, they were of use when the dog lived in the wild. Dog would produce faeces and the glands would empty at the same time. Any wild dog pack that came along would know by the scent what pack had been there before. Removing these are no problem at all. The only discomfort for the dog is the sutures as they will be in a vulnerable place for 7 to 10 days. The dog should be fine after they are removed with no more problems. I had my dogs removed and I am a veterinary nurse, diet can help a lot, but if the poor animal keeps getting these problems along with abscess it cannot be comfortable or happy. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-01-2011, 11:55 PM
My Sister-in-law had her yorkies anal glands removed under Vet advice...........resulting in every time the poor dog woofed, poo came flying out of her bum

Jann xxx
Blue Roan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-01-2011, 07:37 PM
My cocker had his removed June 2009 at the age of 4.

We was at the vets having his emptied every month up to the beginning of June and then every week in June.

He would scream in pain and the vets said that "enough was enough, we couldn't put him through this every week".

They were removed and we haven't looked back........he is sooo much happier. Mind you, I was very apprehensive the first few times after when he had a poo.

He was in a bit of pain and discomfort for about a week after (had him castrated at the same time whilst he was under the GA).

Changing his diet wasn't an option as he was and still is on Hills c/d diet for controlling struvite crystals in his urine.

Hope this helps..................
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2