View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 09:43 AM
It definitely isn't easy to rent with dogs. I found two places that allowed me to, but thankfully don't have to worry about that now.

Both my rentals were with private landlords (one allowed two dogs and the other allowed three). I think letting agents just automatically say no, so you are far better to look in the local papers as well as windows of local post offices etc for ads. I found it best to explain my dogs were well behaved, house trained etc and I offered to pay an extra deposit and/or have the carpets professionally cleaned when I left.

In my experience, it is easier to find a place to rent with dogs in the countryside. Large shooting or agricultural estates often have gamekeepers and shepherds cottages to rent and they usually have no problem with pets (and the rents are generally less than in the town - but that could be because of remote locations).
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 10:11 AM
We are in shared ownership with the council when we moved in we had 3 dogs and had to get permission I think there are only 3 flats here who have permission to have dogs and we are not allowed to allow them to be a nuisance so have to be a bit careful or they could take back the permission.
paulandfloyd
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-01-2011, 12:20 PM
anyone else? Just thought i'd put this thread back up here...
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Our landlord allows dogs (2) although my friend had about 8 and just used to hide the extra when the land agent came round to carry out rent reviews etc.

the majority of the village is owned by the landlord so theres a fair few dogs about!

if i could buy the place i would (although the 3 dogs that live at the end house would have to leave home as their incessant barking drives us nuts!)
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 12:42 PM
We're in military accommodation and apparently they have a limit of 2 dogs and we have to pay for any damage they cause. Before that I was in a council house, not sure exactly what the rules are there. When my ex and I split though I had to move back in with my parents. According to the housing folks I qualified for a place in a hostel and wouldn't be allowed to take my dog. I couldn't afford to rent privately in an area where I could still get to work, I earned between £700 and £1200 a month (varied depending on shift) and rent alone would be around £500 a month. Most didn't allow dogs either.
chaosjoey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2011, 02:14 PM
We had to move out of our previous rented property in July last year. They allowed the dogs from the beginning no problem and didn't ask for a larger deposit or anything.

However we did find it hard to find somewhere else to live and when we did we had to pay 2 months rent as a deposit plus a stipulation of our tenancy agreement is that we have to have the carpets professionally cleaned when we leave.

We also found that some landlords/agencies would quite readily accept small dogs and were also a bit selective when they asked us what breed our dogs were.
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-01-2011, 06:03 PM
I used to live in a rented housing assosiation flat. No dogs/cats allowed, but I did convince them to let me have a house rabbit.('It's clean, uses a litter tray, doesn't make any noise. It's just like a hamster only bigger' etc)

I now live in a private rented house. My first question was if I can have a dog. If the answer was 'No' I would have continued looking. The answer was 'Yes' so I moved in & about a year later I got my dog. (Took several months of searching to get one that allowed dogs.)
spot
Dogsey Veteran

31-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by chaosjoey View Post
We had to move out of our previous rented property in July last year. They allowed the dogs from the beginning no problem and didn't ask for a larger deposit or anything.

However we did find it hard to find somewhere else to live and when we did we had to pay 2 months rent as a deposit plus a stipulation of our tenancy agreement is that we have to have the carpets professionally cleaned when we leave.We also found that some landlords/agencies would quite readily accept small dogs and were also a bit selective when they asked us what breed our dogs were.
Interesting thread. From the other side of the fence, my OH has moved in with me and is planning on renting his place out - it was one of my conditions that if he rented he had to allow dogs

I do think its fair though that carpets etc are cleaned and any damage put right to taken out of the deposit.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 07:29 PM
We rented out a large property for several years .........we said "dogs welcome but no children!" We were inundated with people wanting to move in because so few landlords allow pets around here, in spite of it being a very rural area. Those that do allow dogs, charge quite a hefty monthly fee on top of the normal rent.

Personally - we felt that dogs were far preferable to small children, and we were rewarded at the end of a long tenancy by a pristine house. So many people, when we were searching for our first tenant, were dreadfully snotty when we insisted that there should be no young children, but we were right to be adamant. There are no end of properties that allow children and so few that allow dogs, and give me a dog owner over a young family any time!!!! Before anyone jumps on me, I have nothing against young families unless they want to wreck our house
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2011, 10:22 PM
I am a landlady and I allow dogs in my properties but not cats due to previous bad experiences
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >