Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Carole
thanks SB will no doubt have loads of questions when the time comes.

I had no idea it look 6+ months for the hormones to clear
It doesn't always take that long Carole, but it can do It will be three months at least My vet advises castration at 8+ months, sooner if inappropriate marking is a problem, but 8+ gives the waterworks time to mature &, according to him, lessens potential urinary problems.
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2005, 12:20 PM
confussed now. Our vet said if we are to get otis done, get it done at 6 months?
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Leave it as long as you possible can, but at least till the dog is fully mature, don't expect it to cure all the problems, it may but it may make them worse, in most cases it makes no difference to behaviour except testosterone driven aggression, and you may need a experienced dog handler to tell you if the behaviour is or is not caused by testosterone.
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 12:44 PM
I've never had this op on any of my males and I've never had any problems, not that I'm saying dont do it, because it's personal choice at the end of the day.

I would wait till he's older than 6 mnths because of growth and maturity, 9-10 mnths would be better.IMO.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Me neither Hectorsmum, have only done it once and would never do it again unless it was for medical reasons and I keep 3 intact males together with a bitch. But as you say it is personal choice but would leave it till at least a year or until the dog is mature, it is surprising how often if you do leave it till the dog is mature it no longer seems needed.
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2005, 12:53 PM
sorry for sounding stupid, when is a staff fully mature?
hectorsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by Thordell
Me neither Hectorsmum, have only done it once and would never do it again unless it was for medical reasons and I keep 3 intact males together with a bitch. But as you say it is personal choice but would leave it till at least a year or until the dog is mature, it is surprising how often if you do leave it till the dog is mature it no longer seems needed.

I totally agree on your last bit, get over the stupid stage and it's quite a joy to watch them mature nicely.

What would happen if we did this to humans???????
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2005, 01:15 PM
They would have to be on HRT for the rest of their lives. For a number of reasons including good health.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Ruthlynn
Murphy was done at 7 months, because we weren't going to use him at stud, he wa s pet, don't show and labs tend to 'like the ladies'.....a lot! He's a big lab and when he was younger he was too powerful for me to take to training, used to pull me over trying to get to the other dogs!
He's still powerful, still pulls me over, still likes the ladies! but is very laid back for a lab. Hasn't had any problems with dogs thinking he smells like a bitch on heat, as I've read on other boards Fraid I can't agree with that theory from a medical, physiological point of view anyway.
He recovered quickly, no problems at all.

TTFN
Hi Ruthlynn,

Just wanted to say that Feminisation Syndrome does exist because my dog has it after being castrated at 7 months old I sometimes wish I hadn't bothered having him castrated because it has caused more problems than it solved. It is particularly worrying when a large dog comes over and starts trying to jump on him and will not go away whatever you do
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-06-2005, 02:15 PM
All animals, regardless of species, produce both testosterone and oestrogen (and progesterone) - when a male is castrated, the testosterone is removed (after a while) but the oestrogen remains. Intact males often find castrated males extremely appealing and will harrass them as if they were in oestrus females. Some vets even believe castrated males smell even more 'female' than females.

This will happen at whatever age you castrate the dog and isn't restricted to young castrations.

Becs
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >