View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 09:29 AM
I often wonder when these natural disasters occur and these aid charities get set up what would happen if Britain suffered a natural disaster that caused as much devastation as what is happening in brazil and Australia - would the rest of the world chip in and help us out in our hour of need? I have to say I highly doubt it. The rest of the world seems to hate Britain and i really don't think we'd see much in the way of aid.

I think what's happening in Australia and brazil is awful but like others have said if they needed it they would ask and particularly in australia's case i think their economy and emergency services are coping sufficiently at the moment.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Yet no mention of Brazil where over 400 people have lost their lives?
That's because I've only just logged on ;o)

Same for Brazil imo (and Nepal and anyone else who needs it).
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I often wonder when these natural disasters occur and these aid charities get set up what would happen if Britain suffered a natural disaster that caused as much devastation as what is happening in brazil and Australia - would the rest of the world chip in and help us out in our hour of need? I have to say I highly doubt it. The rest of the world seems to hate Britain and i really don't think we'd see much in the way of aid.

I think what's happening in Australia and brazil is awful but like others have said if they needed it they would ask and particularly in australia's case i think their economy and emergency services are coping sufficiently at the moment.
I find this statement amazing you should be thanking god that it hasn't happen there your whinging about something if your lucky that will never happen to you christ still cant believe what I read.
We aussies dont care what country it is, if help of any kind is needed we jump in and even in those areas that the floods have hit the people there are helping others who lost everything and we have a sense of humour, a very large heart and get in an help others in need, I know that on DOL a member has got a truck an is getting dog food, pens,bowls, food, toilet paper and anything else people want to drop off so it can be driven up to those areas
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by China View Post
I find this statement amazing you should be thanking god that it hasn't happen there your whinging about something if your lucky that will never happen to you christ still cant believe what I read.
We aussies dont care what country it is, if help of any kind is needed we jump in and even in those areas that the floods have hit the people there are helping others who lost everything and we have a sense of humour, a very large heart and get in an help others in need, I know that on DOL a member has got a truck an is getting dog food, pens,bowls, food, toilet paper and anything else people want to drop off so it can be driven up to those areas
I have to say I agree, especially with the reference to the Aussie nature. Their team spirit and camaraderie is something I just adore about the country! Living in Oz made me a better person, I swear.

Oh and before anyone says anything, yes I have made a small donation to both countries. I did the same for the Tsunami, Haiti, the Pakistani floods and every other devastating natural disaster. I don't expect everyone to do the same (in fact I firmly believe that donating is strictly personal preference and no one should be made to feel they have to donate), but I do expect a more gracious attitude to doing it, especially for Australia if they need it.

The thing the man with the truck has done is charming, what a nice guy!
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I have to say I agree, especially with the reference to the Aussie nature. Their team spirit and camaraderie is something I just adore about the country! Living in Oz made me a better person, I swear.

Oh and before anyone says anything, yes I have made a small donation to both countries. I did the same for the Tsunami, Haiti, the Pakistani floods and every other devastating natural disaster. I don't expect everyone to do the same (in fact I firmly believe that donating is strictly personal preference and no one should be made to feel they have to donate), but I do expect a more gracious attitude to doing it, especially for Australia if they need it.

The thing the man with the truck has done is charming, what a nice guy!
he got roughly 1200 km drive ahead 1 way, and it not just Qld, Northwest Vic towns are holding their breath with flood waters rising and northern tassie is suffering floods but we all pull together, Aussies dont care what country is in need we will put our hands deep into our pockets, tassie farmers will be sending cattle stock, that post just p!$$ed me off,
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by China View Post
I don't care what country it is either which is why i often donate something in one way or another when these things happen. My point is that i don't think the Brits would get as much help as we give to other countries which is a lot - we are very generous as a country in giving to charities whether they are long standing charities or ones set up for a natural disaster.

My second point was that normally these charities are set up when a country asks for aid and I had got the impression that Australia had not yet asked for monetary aid but then I might be wrong. I am in no way saying it is wrong for us to give money to countries who need help, i think you have misunderstood me.
China
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
I don't care what country it is either which is why i often donate something in one way or another when these things happen. My point is that i don't think the Brits would get as much help as we give to other countries which is a lot - we are very generous as a country in giving to charities whether they are long standing charities or ones set up for a natural disaster.

My second point was that normally these charities are set up when a country asks for aid and I had got the impression that Australia had not yet asked for monetary aid but then I might be wrong. I am in no way saying it is wrong for us to give money to countries who need help, i think you have misunderstood me.
No I dont think I misunderstood you, christ its not a race to see what country can donate more or who cant an like I said I hope you never find out, but I have little doubt other countries would come an help and give what ever aid was needed, And the only thing we aussies hate is the whinning
Yes they have ask for help and below is the details for any donations
Donate to the Premier's flood relief appeal by calling 1800 219 028 or by visiting www.qld.gov.au/floods.

Donate by internet banking
The account details for donations are:

Account Name: Premiers Disaster Relief Appeal
BSB: 064 013
Account number: 1000 6800

SWIFT code for international donations: CTBAAU2S
so to any on dogsey there are the details
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2011, 11:49 AM
Actually, the Australian government isn't asking for help, but they are saying that 'at the moment' the economy can cope, but any donations and aid would be gratefully received.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-01-2011, 11:55 AM
its a bit of a whammy for australia

as they were one of the few countires that could say they still had an economy.

sadly, i think the cost may now put them in the same mire as the rest of us.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-01-2011, 11:59 AM
I am not prepared to get into an argument here but I think China you have jumped on esmed a little harshly.

In no way was she saying Australia
or anyone else is not entitled to aid in fact she was saying they would get the aid if they ask she feels as yet they haven't but she might be wrong. But she feels strongly we wouldn't in the Uk for whatever reasons she seems to think we would not get as much aid if any.

None of us are in any doubt that what has happened in your country and in Brazil isn't terrible it is it but not so many years ago we had terrible floods in Cornwall and people lost lives and businesses and the same in the Midlands.

So please can we just all calm down and play nicely.

We have had enough nasty posts and people upsetting one another recently and we would like to try to get Dogsey back to being a place where you can have a debate and disagreements but without being horrible to one another.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >