Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah88 View Post
...And I am venting all my concerns on here so I can hear success stories such as yourself!
xoxox
I got my first dog when I was 6 months pregnant with my first child. We lived in the middle of nowhere with no transport and I never had a dog before. She was a rehomed GSD who had never had a proper walk aged about 1.
It could have been a recipe for disaster - but she was wonderful. She taught me all I needed to know about dogs, helped me bring up the kids, survive divorce and upheaval, and was the sweetest, brightest dog I ever knew.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 04:01 PM
Hope things work out well for your friend and her new pup an am sure she'll value your support. I was in my twenties when brought very first pup home and had a young child(as single parent). It was hard work at times but worth every second, we had help and good advice from a friend and the breeder also. Wishing her the best of luck.
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah88 View Post
I'm really not sure it was a good idea!

She's 21 and very used to getting her own way (has a bit of only child syndrome going on...), she lives in a council house with her 2 year old son but relies on her mum for a lot of help (her mum collects and does all of her washing for her!). Now, she's a very capable mother and a great friend so don't get me wrong! But I don't think she realises the new role she has taken on getting this pup and am terrified that it will all go wrong and she'll give the pup up...
What's the fact that she lives in a council house got to do with her ability as a Dog owner?
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys! Your posts really are helping alleviate my stupid fears! I know I should have more faith in her... Like I said - gut reaction made me start this thread where I knew you lot would help put me straight And some of you have some amazing stories to tell!

Originally Posted by Delos View Post
What's the fact that she lives in a council house got to do with her ability as a Dog owner?
You know, I knew someone would take it that way... It has nothing to do with it, I was just explaining her situation. She's only just got the house (was in a small flat before) and it's needing a lot of work. I'm worried that she's not settled enough for this pup but that small part of my post really wasn't the point of it... Apologies if you were offended though

xoxox
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 05:12 PM
I know what you mean Sarah...

A friend at work, who is a serial pet-owner, asked me about getting a dog. As a family, they had hamsters, gerbils, rabbits etc and ended up giving them all away cos they never got looked after etc.

I was really worried about her getting a dog; but gave her loads of advice about health tests, good breeding practice etc; and gave her the link to the breed club website...

They got a slightly older puppy that had been run-on by the breeder for showing, but hadn't quite made the grade as they were over-height...

You know what, the entire family ADORE the puppy (2 little kids too). They have all bonded with him really well and wouldn't ever think of getting rid of him. She's asked my advice about training and grooming; and has him booked in for puppy training after Christmas.

It's really nice actually, as she has done brilliantly with him, much better than I would have given her credit for
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 05:25 PM
All you can do is support her and hope she has done the research rather then go out and get a cute little snow dog puppy.

I really hope it works out for them both but the breed she has picked is going to make it hard for her.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

07-12-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
much better than I would have given her credit for
Sometimes we do underestimate people, IMO it doesn't happen often, I have found that humans have an inbuilt ability to disappoint and let you down, but sometimes just the opposite happens.
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 11:50 AM
As said, I would help her along the way. The ideas of giving her puppy/dog training books is a lovely idea- especially with Christmas so close! I am sure she won't take it the wrong way.

It can be hard work with dogs and children, but as long as she finds a balance-things shouldn't go too far wrong!
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
Sometimes we do underestimate people, IMO it doesn't happen often, I have found that humans have an inbuilt ability to disappoint and let you down, but sometimes just the opposite happens.
Yup, I am so glad that she had bonded with their puppy (who is gorgeous!)... she has rehomed over 15 animals in the last year which is why I was so worried...
SibeVibe
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Hello

I was the same age as your friend when I started living with sibes. Had young twins at home to cope with too. No doubt it was a challenge but I managed and learnt along the way.

If you would like any breed specific info to pass on to your friend let me know. I'll be happy to send some on to you

Take good care.

Seoniad.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >