Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
I cant really suggest anything then - other than leash on her in the house with her following you - but then she'd see where you hide everything and then destroy more

Maybe she's just one of those dogs that need to destroy everything you own...Have you got a picture, I;ve never seen a Slovack before
Judging by her track record, I'd say you are about right!

Picture:

SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 06:24 PM
Oh my jesus - she is adorable - and looks so angelic!! Heheee
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Oh my jesus - she is adorable - and looks so angelic!! Heheee
Definately not angelic LOL.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 06:26 PM
My Springer will sneak into our bedroom if the door is left open and steal my socks from the laundry basket. He will then take them away to a quiet corner and nibble several large holes in them. He is much better though since I started feeding him raw. Chewing up 3 chicken carcasses in one sitting seems to have taken the pressure off the socks.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Glad I'm not the only one then!

Bo will also steal things off desks, kitchen counters...any surface. Unfortunately she is also able to open doors and stairgates so like you, it can be difficult to move everything.

I dread to think the total cost of everything she has destroyed. It is frustrating.
I completely empathise, it is so so frustrating! Especially when you've tried everything and still nothing changes, it's like you're fighting a losing battle. Thankfully Molly is small so can't open doors but I definitely feel for you with that, it'd be a nightmare!

Even worse is when you tell people and they say 'oh just don't leave stuff around for her to get at then' like you haven't thought of that already!

Edit: Just seen the picture you posted, aw!
Margaret
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-11-2010, 06:30 PM
With a face and expression like that little angel you must be fibbing.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Oh dear such a cheeky girl.
I think i'm lucky with Zara she doesn't chew things. She did steal a few muffins that were on the table on some occations and she will steal the cats food.... If food is lying on the floar, she will eat it as she asumes it is hers, but she will leave it when told...
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Have you tried leaving things down that she can destroy? I know ideally you'd like her to not be destructive but she may just need to satisfy the urge to rip. Cain was pretty bad but we've control it by

a) keeping as much out of reach as possible, as you are already doing
b) when catching him with something inappropriate, swapping it for something better. I can now see him when he's in "that mood" and I actively give him his Nylabone (ot swap if he already has something) and he'll sit and chew on that for a good half an hour.
c) giving him regular chewy treats like pizzle and giant strips of paddywack. Being on raw and feeding bones helps, after he's spent 40 mins chewing and ripping up half a rabbit, he doesn't want to chew anything else.
d) making up boxes for shredding - fill a large cardboard box with toilet tubes, scrunched up newspaper, small boxes, hide some small treats and let the dog go nuts. It really helps Cain get his destructive streak out without him harming expensive items.

It's a tough one and I can see why your frustrated. Maybe letting her be allowed to destroy something with permisson might help?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Shamus the Shorthair has a mad moment every evening after his dinner when he has to destroy something. Towels, my shoes, the toy box, envelopes... anything he can get hold of. We just grab anything irreplaceable and resign ourselves to having holy towels.
boredinstroud
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-11-2010, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't trust mine 100% yet - she's generally ok and luckily when she does chew things it's usually an old food packet that she's thieved from the bin but in her time she has had the odd shoe, book and the arm of an old chair. Also whenever she's chewed something it's never been because she hasn't had her choice of bones, rope toy, nylabone etc to chew on! Not as bad as the cat though who destroyed a pair of silky leopard-print knickers (obviously didn't like the idea of another cat around)!
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »