Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
In agility some people use a command to warn their dog that a change of direction is imminent, like 'And....' as they are approaching a jump so they know to take the jump but be prepared to turn sharply. Works for them but I have enough trouble getting the correct commands out at the right time without adding to them!
- I am surprised people have time!!!
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Well my dog is so well-trained if I said "Next" he would fetch my credit card thinking a trip to the shops was imminent!!

Seriously though I have never heard of this command either at heelwork to music or agility classes-think my dogs would be confused to be honest.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Never heard of it before. I guess the one use I can see (for things like HTM) is if you eventually work up to giving a serious of commands in one go rather than waiting for the dog to complete the first action before giving the command for the next one.

so e.g. sit-next-paw-next-bow next would get the dog to do 3 commands in a row?

Is that the eventual aim?
No as far as I can see it is so the dog is ready waiting for the next command, like if you say 'sit' then 'next' it means the dog isnt to just get up but there is another command comming
But I train my dogs that 'sit' means 'sit there till I tell you something else' I dont have a wait or stay command

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Odd ive never really thought?

In horses theres "And" as a precurser to a change of pace, whilst lunging etc.

I use no ,as a stopper & then recommand

I suppose my next command is in general the dogs name

Or at times possibly "ready"

But dont really have a commandfor that purpose.

What command did the trainer use? & how?
I didnt see how she uses it with her dogs, but she was getting us to say 'next' in a string of simple rapid fire commands 'sit, next, down, next, stand, next, sit'

Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Didnt she tell you a "quiet" command would help with his barking?

Benjie was a terrible barker so I him "speak" then I taught him "quiet" And I can now tell him quiet whenever he's barking and he'll shush

Would've thought that better than "next"
The idea was supposed to be that her dogs barked less because they knew another command was comming and it reduced confusion
Unfort the quiet command has never worked with Ben, it took 9 months to get him to bark on command, and he has never got the hang of quiet
He barks when he is excited, when I give a really exciting command like 'weave' he will give a wuff before he does it and then wimper the whole time he is doing it

Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Why not just use Wait (which means the same thing)? Well it does to us anyway!
yup it does sound the same

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
No - never used a 'next'.

I used a 'Working' when I want the dogs to concentrate and 'finished' when we are done.

But once I have said working, they are listening and it does not really matter what command I give next.
exactly, I think when they are in the zone they dont need to know another command is comming, they expect it

Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
In agility some people use a command to warn their dog that a change of direction is imminent, like 'And....' as they are approaching a jump so they know to take the jump but be prepared to turn sharply. Works for them but I have enough trouble getting the correct commands out at the right time without adding to them!
Havent heard of that, I am using kinda the sylva trkmans cip cap method - althought I just say 'go left' to mean go out and do the jump and wrap the wing. for less wide turns I rely on my position and let them move in towards me or tell them 'out' away from me

Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
- I am surprised people have time!!!
lol yup I know, the less I can say the better
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Well my dog is so well-trained if I said "Next" he would fetch my credit card thinking a trip to the shops was imminent!!

Seriously though I have never heard of this command either at heelwork to music or agility classes-think my dogs would be confused to be honest.
hahahahahahahahaha hahahaha
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Odd ive never really thought?

In horses theres "And" as a precurser to a change of pace, whilst lunging etc.

I use no ,as a stopper & then recommand

I suppose my next command is in general the dogs name

Or at times possibly "ready"

But dont really have a commandfor that purpose.

What command did the trainer use? & how?
There is also a ridden equivalent, termed a "half halt" whereby you very gently squeeze the reins and sit a little to basically warn/prepare the horse that you are about to ask it for something, or that there is a change coming up but this tends to be when you have been doing something for a little while e.g trotting one side of the area, so the horse is maybe slightly on auto pilot. it can also allow it to concentrate on the move it is doing, knowing you will warn it before changing the instruction.

The idea is the horse is alerted but not actually given the command for a moment so or, so the response is quicker and more accurate, once that command is given.

E.g If a dressage test called for trot to marker A, then canter at A, you would trot to within a few strides of A, half halt, and aim to give the cue and strike off in canter precisely at A.

I cannot see any need for this with a dog who is already in attentive mode, and in any case a listen/wait/watch/name check (so long as you haven't train name=recall ) could achieve this "half halt" preparedness effect without introducing confusion with another command?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2