Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Originally Posted by Rolosmum View Post
I have always had a fascination with ESS, my mil was going to get two just over 20 years ago, but sadly her husband died so she pulled out of getting them, this has always left my husband and I wondering and wanting to have one around, so just over seven weeks ago, i finally decided the time was right for us to get a dog and so it was natural that this was what we got.

We knew the work that we needed to put in, and the amount of exercise especially needed by the working strain, but decided it fitted our lifestyle, very outdoors and around during the day, so went for it and Rolo arrived. Just love the look in their eyes, their fluffy ears and watching them have so much fun when out and about in fields. We knew we wanted a dog that could be off lead, didnt just want to be walked around streets plodding along next to his owner, so he suits us really well. Love the liver colour of this breed, they are just so beautiful and their medium size fits our house size and my husband refusing to walk a handbag size dog and me not wanting to give house space to a large dog. I am obsessed with all things springer and could look at pics of their unique markings all day!
How can you not love teh springer working look - the tail wagging furiously, the nose to thr ground...the zig -zag running, I love it when Louie shows his springer side I also love the liver & white colour, I think the B&W serves more to the Bench side to this breed
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 10:56 PM
When I was younger I remember seeing a story in the paper about a RR attack and My mum saying how terrible it was that a dog breed for killing lions was allowed to be a pet but all I could think about was how beautiful the dog looked (was very young).

When my OH and I were looking at getting a dog, he had his heart set on Alaskan Malamute/ Husky/ Akita and while I love all these breeds I kept looking at RRs. I started to read about them and totally fell for not only their gorgeous looks but there breed traits as well. They are the perfect breed for our family - I love their independence, their wildness, their intelligence, the way they think about what is being asked of them instead of just blindly following....Beau keeps me on my toes and I love a challenge
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-11-2010, 11:14 PM
The day i visited faerdorns old kennels we parked and 4or 5 boxer heads popped up .I know for sure then even if i had to wait months it had to be a boxer.
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
How can you not love teh springer working look - the tail wagging furiously, the nose to thr ground...the zig -zag running, I love it when Louie shows his springer side I also love the liver & white colour, I think the B&W serves more to the Bench side to this breed
I love everything about them, (sorry to the people with B&w), just think the liver and white has something really right about it for the way they are and what they do, (although i dO see a black and white springer cocker cross that has made me change my mind slightly, she could come and live here!). I am not such a fan of the show strain, again their is something that just seems right with the working dogs.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Some lovely stories and reasons for loving the breeds you do
I love lots of breeds, but 'my' breed is now Greyhounds. I fell in love with them more the more I met them and learned about them. I love the ex-racers and hearing about them coming out of themselves and enjoying retirement in a loving home. I fell in love with their graceful and gentle nature - the comedian that emerged was a pleasant surprise!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 09:42 AM
The love of my breeds came from :

German Shepherds - loved The Littlest Hobo and Rebel from Champion the Wonder Horse on TV when I was small. Joyce Stranger books helped the love for the breed grow through both her fiction and non fiction. From being small I always wanted to be a police dog handler, so my ideal dog would of course be a GSD I wasn't allowed a dog of my own as a child and so walked all and sundry in the small town where I grew up. My fave included a longhaired GSD called Mandy, and I was devasted when a family owning a beautiful and kind bitch, Sheba, said I couldn't walk her as they were training her to be a guard dog There is no other breed that can turn my head and make my heart miss a beat like the GSD.

Border Collies - I grew up spending my summer holidays on my grandparents farm in Southern Ireland. There were two collies, Bimbo (??! ) and Timmy and I loved those dogs as if they were my own. I spent all my time with them and longed to bring them back home with me. I also enjoyed watching One Man & His Dog when growing up, and even wrote to Jim'll Fix It, to see if I could have a go at One Man & His Dog (all the time hoping if I got on the show, they would present me with a collie pup of my own, as they had for another little girl (with a bloodhound) I had watched a few weeks earlier ). It never happened. I still love everything about the border collie, but will probably not have another one myself. I will just enjoy the collies my hubby has and will always have and stick with GSDs myself.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 09:45 AM
As things stand at the moment, I can see my two year old son following in his dad's footsteps as far as dogs are concerned, rather than mine His favourite dog of our pack is Fly (a collie), his favourite tv show is Mist - Sheedog Tales, and his favourite film is Babe Over the past week he has asked for Babe on at least three times a day You have to love Fly and Rex
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
As things stand at the moment, I can see my two year old son following in his dad's footsteps as far as dogs are concerned, rather than mine His favourite dog of our pack is Fly (a collie), his favourite tv show is Mist - Sheedog Tales, and his favourite film is Babe Over the past week he has asked for Babe on at least three times a day You have to love Fly and Rex
I love Mist - Sheepdog tales!!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Well...Border collies - whats not to like?

I love the looks and differences I love the attitude, the fact they are still affectionate dogs but have an 'on' switch with work.

If I had to have another breed....I think I would brace a RR...or an Estrela. I have known some fantastic RR's, lovely temps and just a bit standoffish with strangers which I like as well.

ETA....I have always said that I like to have a different breed to go with the BC's.....I like GSDs and think they compliment each other nicely, but the health issues within the breed put me off, after Trip I have decided that I do not mix well with Gundogs - other than RR's I would steer clear of hounds, and I am not really a small dog person.....so I guess I wil have to sticlk with BCs Process of deduction!
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-11-2010, 10:27 AM
To be honest, I don't really know why I've always had an obsession with Great Danes. I know that when I was a baby, my parents had two...but I can't even remember them, never could...yet all my life I have been super drawn to the breed. Over the years, I just had to learn as much as I could about them. I spent hours upon hours lurking in dane forums, looking at every picture of a GD the internet had to offer every day. I loved hearing the stories Mom told about her danes. Then when we had a Borzoi whom we took to dog shows, I would always run to the GDs there to meet them, ask questions, just bask in the glory that is a dane I guess
There is something about these guys...they are so human like in so many ways, you have to spend time with them to really see it. Even through all my research, I never really "got it" until I had Luke..just how different they are from any other breed. I've been around, or had, quite a few different breeds over the years, and none of them have whatever it is that danes have. It's something that is hard to describe.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >