View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2010, 09:47 AM
I managed to get these ones pretty much by accident, of Tau with her friend Dax, who LOVES playing with her, how they never hit a tree I don't know....

SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Right thats it...I'm sending my dogs off to you to have pictures done - they move so fast

Lovely photos - all of them
rik
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-11-2010, 01:11 PM
Thank you all

@Tarimoor; great pictures

Shutterspeed is 1/25

If you want to freeze a running dog you need at least 1/640.

For this picture it was 1/1250.

lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 01:26 PM
gorgeous pics
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Lovely shots

Regardless of whether you have a camera with interchangeable lenses or not - the basic principal is the same.

As you move your camera from right to left (panning) at the same speed as the object - the object (in this case the dog) remains in focus whilst the background becomes blurred.

There's a couple of things which govern how easy this is. Firstly the light - on a good day with bright light your camera can use a very fast shutter speed.

Maximum Aperture - different lenses (whether fixed or interchangeable) have a maximum aperture. This is how wide they open when you take the shot. The bigger the aperture (smaller f number) the more light can enter the camera. Wide aperture lenses are called 'fast' as they simply allow faster shutter speeds to be used.

Focus - Different cameras have different autofocus capabilities - some will 'hunt' and struggle to lock onto a moving subject - some can track moving objects with ease.

On a decent day you should be able to get a panning shot of a dog using the Finepix S5800 - just a case of trial and error really but the aim (if you want a 'frozen' dog is to move the camera at a speed that matches the speed of the dog. Move the camera too fast or slow then you will get a little blur on the dog which can help give a sense of movement.
Ohh thanks to Phil and Rik for taking time to explain this to me. I really need to have a fiddle about with my camera settings, I've never altered them from the day I got the camera!

I love that second photo you've shown above Rik, amazing clarity - love it!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2010, 02:46 PM
I had panning down to an art when I used to be into motorsport but cant seem to apply the same to my dogs!

Great pictures.
rik
Dogsey Junior
Male 

13-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Thank you

Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
I had panning down to an art when I used to be into motorsport but cant seem to apply the same to my dogs!

Great pictures.
For a running dog you need some luck. He's not only moving horizontal but he also goes up and down.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2