View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:38 AM
I thought that eating standing up and eating stopped bloating also isnt it eating fast that causes bloating.
I've found that with Louie if he eats off a box, it doesnt give him hiccups and makes him eat slower for some reason
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
We never had any troubles with the feeders (we had GSDs)

We used to raise them up, but not quite to the level with the shoulder or wherever your supposed to raise it to. Otherwise the dogs found it uncomfortable to eat.
Our bowl is about level with the tops of his front legs.
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:44 AM
I bought a stand from Ikea, much cheaper than others and folds flat for easy transport. The one in Wednesbury is not selling them anymore, but others may be.
I have heard different things about raised vs flat for bloat risk, but Axel was uncomfortable eating off the floor and looked somewhat Bambi-like, he's a lot more comfortable eating and drinking higher up.
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm thinking of getting a wine box for the right height and getting OH to cut the bowl holes in that way I can use it for storage for their toys etc. Don't know how I will find one the right size though loool
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2010, 11:05 AM
Really, there are so many "causes" of bloat, but we still don't know for sure why some dogs who do everything right, still bloat. Alot of people think it's genetic, or genetically predisposed I guess you'd say. We know for sure that excersise after eating plays a huge part in it, etc.
To me, especially with a giant breed, it's common sense that it's more comfortable to have their bowls raised. To feed a great dane off the floor is the equivalent to us standing on our heads and trying to eat, you're going to ingest a heck of alot more air that way than you are sitting at the kitchen table eating normally right? Well it's the same for dogs. Not to mention it's probably painful to hang your head that low and try to chew and swallow basically upside down. So Luke's bowls have always been elevated.
I just use a plastic storage container. I need to get a taller one though. I was going to spend the money to buy a real one, but why bother when you can use something in the home that works just as well.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Jenn~n~Luke View Post
Really, there are so many "causes" of bloat, but we still don't know for sure why some dogs who do everything right, still bloat. Alot of people think it's genetic, or genetically predisposed I guess you'd say. We know for sure that excersise after eating plays a huge part in it, etc.
To me, especially with a giant breed, it's common sense that it's more comfortable to have their bowls raised. To feed a great dane off the floor is the equivalent to us standing on our heads and trying to eat, you're going to ingest a heck of alot more air that way than you are sitting at the kitchen table eating normally right? Well it's the same for dogs. Not to mention it's probably painful to hang your head that low and try to chew and swallow basically upside down. So Luke's bowls have always been elevated.
I just use a plastic storage container. I need to get a taller one though. I was going to spend the money to buy a real one, but why bother when you can use something in the home that works just as well.
A decent stand cost £16-£25 and you cant store anything in it so only has one purpose really, just to stand there, for that type of money you can get a food/toy storage - put holes in the top for dishes and there you have a stand and storage
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2010, 11:15 AM
Yup! I put his food in the bin and cover it with a towel or cloth, and we have a multipurpose feeder
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 12:09 PM
we use upside down buckets (the round type) with the bottom cut out.. it`s a perfect size for large dog bowls. I`ve put paint tins under the buckets.. so they don`t move around while they eat.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2010, 01:04 PM
We use these and you can store kibble in them

I think I got them from pet planet could be canine concepts can't really remember because I've had them years.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-11-2010, 01:40 PM
It wont let me post the link so it's the pet planet website and it's listed under ergonomic feeders, the picture is of the brown ones which look a bit odd.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >