View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-10-2010, 05:19 PM
thanks for all the replies i was told never to as can be very dangerous but i think i would depending on the water ect..

he is to precious to me, i couldnt just stand there and watch him struggle would wait a little to see if he could get out though
Vicki_Ann
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Unless my dog was physically stuck on something, I wouldn't.

I wouldn't stand there and do nothing though, I would improvise and find myself something to lasso my dog, or a big branch for them to grab hold of, I know that both of my dogs that swim would grab hold of a stick.

Failing that, and if I thought there was time, I would be onto the emergency services/anyone that I knew could help.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 05:39 PM

I once had someone offer me their mobile phone to call the coast guard as one of my mothers dogs swam away from me! (Absolutely nothing wrong with her swimming skills, but a deep desire to catch the duck that was swimming 10' in front of her!)
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I'd try not to tbh and I'm a strong swimmer but I think people often underestimate the effect cold water has, it can be almost paralysing, it's hard to swim when you can barely breathe. I would do all I could from the bank but would avoid going in if at all possible.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd like to think my dogs are strong swimmers, they get enough practice and I dont allow them to go into dangerous water so hopefully they wouldnt get into a situation.

Not sure really because I can just about keep myself above water, not much of a swimmer and I know for a fact all my dogs can swim better than me.
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Years ago my old dog, Teddy, when he was a pup used to go in the river and play, at the point he went in it was shallow all summer, then one day we went down and they had opend the barrage, he was so quick straight in before I had time to stop him he started to try and swim back to the bank but the river was to strong so insted of fighting it he turned and went with it a little way down untill he could get in, he managed it but if he had taken much longer I would have been in after him. Saying that it was 20 years ago so not sure if I would think of jumping in now......................probably would though
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2010, 06:38 PM
I honestly can't say. I would hope I wouldn't be so daft as I haven't swum for years and even then wasn't very good. I stiffen up with the cold as it is so if it was cold water I would most likely not be any help to Lana and would end up drowning because of the cold.

Most of the stories you read, the people who jump in after the dogs drown and then the dog manages to get out so although it must be hard to watch I think people shouldn't go jumping in after their dogs. But what seems to be the sensible thing to do isn't necessarily what people do (myself included) so until it happens no one can really say how they would respond. I only hope that none of us are ever put in that position.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Definately would depend on the situation! I would probably wade in if he was properly stuck but probably not jump in unless I had some kit with me. I used to teach watersports and still go out with kayakers etc so I'm very aware of the dangers.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I think I would. Zane is a very strong swimmer so I'd have no choice but to go in after the others. Zane would be in with a chance of gettign himself out of a situation but if he was having problems, I have no doubt I'd go in after him.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-10-2010, 06:54 PM
no i would not, i have a partner and child who need me in their life, as much as i love my dogs they come first.
That is what my head is saying anyway.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >