View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 05:51 AM
It's so scary when this happens. It's happened to Baz with one of our past Shibas. She ran away from him in the local park - never did it before - but she would ot come back to him. She was in sight for ages and he was calling her and calling her. In the end, after about 30 minutes, he had to come home, as she'd disappeared from sight.

She was sitting on next door's doorstep.......

She had crossed a busy dual carriageway to get home.

I was 60-odd miles away at the time, and I've never felt so helpless in my entire life.

Hugs, Lauren...... give Jakey-boy some extra hugs from me

x0x0x
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 07:22 AM
I am so pleased he made it home safe and sound xxx
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 07:25 AM
OMG you must have been beside yourself, well done for keeping it together while you were looking for him. I know whenever one of mine does a runner I am out there shouting like a loonie and having panick attacks.

The most amazing one I had was when Chester RIP, (a dog that I had taken on for a friend that had cancer cos she could no longer handle him) went off when the OH was walking them, when the OH came back without him I took Bo on the lead and tried to see if we could find him I walked miles calling and shouting, nothing, I had to ring the OH to come and get me in the car, got home rang the vets, the police, the local marie, and was just going back out after lunch when the phone rang,it was a bar about 10 miles away from us "have you lost a dog" they said errr yes says me well he is here under the table having a drink of water, he had followed some hikers, god knows why.Lucky he had a collar with my telephone number on it even though he was chiped, he was sooo happy to see me when I got there
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Oh Jakey, what are you like?

What a terrifying thing to happen, especially in the dark. I would have been going mad.
So glad it all ended well x
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 12:52 PM
It's a good job he knows how to get home as I dont think my dogs would. They go in the car everywhere so know their way around all our haunts but I doubt they would know how to get from A to B.

When we had our family dog growing up we used to take her and my Grandmas dog to the local woods. Both would disappear together and we'd stand there for ages shouting. Looking back we should've been more proactive in stopping them.

Jed will often disappear (he's very independent and quite comfortable being away from the rest of us) but will come back within a couple of minutes of me whistling but it is annoying when they suddenly go charging off into the undergrowth and ignore your shouts.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 01:37 PM
What a scare! Am so pleased Jake found his way back and you are all ok
Rolosmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2010, 03:39 PM
How scary, we still have to let our pup off of the lead for the first time, i just know that i wont relax, cos i know that it just takes them to spot something or get distracted and they could disappear!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-10-2010, 04:31 PM
That must of been so frightening.

Clever Jake though knowing his way home and going there to wait for you,
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Originally Posted by lynnb View Post
A very similar thing happened to me one day in the park with hooch, one minute he's playing and running around with his friend jess, the next he just stopped looked towards the trees and he was off. He's never done it before or since.
I was looking and calling him for what seemed like over an hour, i rang our house to see if he had gone home but NO ! I was asking everyone in the park, i was getting franic thinking how am i going to tell them back at home that i'v lost hooch.
The thing is i didn't know if i should start on my way back home to see if i could find him on the way or stay were i was incase he came looking for me.People had seen him in the park running around as if he was looking for something.
Anyway my dad rang me to say that he had just turned up, and would.nt stop crying and was sat looking out of the window. bless the little ragbag. like you though i didn't know if i wanted to cuddle him or strangle him
I kept him on his lead for about a week after and i must admit i was very nervous and unsure when i did let him off.
Oh, that must have been so scary! Especially coz he was away for so long… when Jake did it, I just kept thinking ‘what if I never see him again?’… it was horrible. I was a bit nervous when I let Jake off yesterday morning, but I know its not like him so I just did it and he was so well behaved.

Originally Posted by lore View Post
Oh my goodness, I thought for one horrifying moment that he had disappeared without trace. Thank goodness the wee man found his way home. I know you adore Jake and would be heartbroken if anything happened to him.

I'm so glad he's okay Lauren, you can relax and in the words of my friend 'deep breath in, deep breath out'..or alternatively, chocolate, wine, and a cuddle on the couch with Jake
Thanks, I think he just likes to keep me on my toes well, I had the chocolate and cuddle, but I had tea instead of wine

Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I did giggle a bit, even though the situation would have been terrifying, all I could think was 'Jake and his adventures' and when you said you wanted to to wring his neck, I imagine you did that why you hugged him.
He is still a norty teenager who is going to send you prematurely grey
So glad he was okay though and has an automatic tracking device that sent him home. Half an hour of being worried, I am no surprised you cried, the thoughts we have in that time can snowball and to find out he went home after being who-knows-where, would have been anger, relief, happiness, norty norty Jake!!
I hope you don't think it was a mean laugh, it was an OMG laugh. I think you are going to be able to write a book on the 'adventures with Jake' he sure does mix it up and keeps you (and us, when we read your posts) on your toes.
Hugs to you and Jake xxxx
lol, don’t worry I know it wasn’t a mean laugh Jake just likes to keep me on my toes, and make me prematurely grey! He certainly does have adventures it never ends with him a book about Jake life would be jam-packed! Even when he cut his side open, everyone I met in the park (of the regulars) kept saying, ‘oh, if that had to happen to a dog, it would always happen to Jake!’ and it is soooo true… these things always happen to Jake (or Jake causes them…) I love my boy even if he does drive me nutty sometimes

Originally Posted by fayeily View Post
I would have been absolutly distraught! as i imagine you were.
What a naughty boy! like Emma said, i wonder what he got up to?

Dogs ay, who'd have 'em?
lol, it would be fun to know what he got up to… I wish I knew what he had seen too, we have deer around here so someone suggested that that could be what it was… im not sure, but I so wish he could talk and tell me

Originally Posted by Vicki View Post
It's so scary when this happens. It's happened to Baz with one of our past Shibas. She ran away from him in the local park - never did it before - but she would ot come back to him. She was in sight for ages and he was calling her and calling her. In the end, after about 30 minutes, he had to come home, as she'd disappeared from sight.

She was sitting on next door's doorstep.......

She had crossed a busy dual carriageway to get home.

I was 60-odd miles away at the time, and I've never felt so helpless in my entire life.

Hugs, Lauren...... give Jakey-boy some extra hugs from me

x0x0x
oh, that must have been a nightmare! feeling helpless is one of the worst feeling ever... and the desperation of just wanting to know where they blooming well are! its amazing she found her way home (well, nearly ) safely, you must have been so relieved when she was there!

Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
I am so pleased he made it home safe and sound xxx
thanks
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
OMG you must have been beside yourself, well done for keeping it together while you were looking for him. I know whenever one of mine does a runner I am out there shouting like a loonie and having panick attacks.

The most amazing one I had was when Chester RIP, (a dog that I had taken on for a friend that had cancer cos she could no longer handle him) went off when the OH was walking them, when the OH came back without him I took Bo on the lead and tried to see if we could find him I walked miles calling and shouting, nothing, I had to ring the OH to come and get me in the car, got home rang the vets, the police, the local marie, and was just going back out after lunch when the phone rang,it was a bar about 10 miles away from us "have you lost a dog" they said errr yes says me well he is here under the table having a drink of water, he had followed some hikers, god knows why.Lucky he had a collar with my telephone number on it even though he was chiped, he was sooo happy to see me when I got there
Oh, that must have been the best phone call ever! I was getting ready to drag my family and OH out to help look, and if that failed I would be calling everywhere! He has a tag though, and a chip so hopefully, like what happened with Chester, someone would call to say them found him.

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
Oh Jakey, what are you like?

What a terrifying thing to happen, especially in the dark. I would have been going mad.
So glad it all ended well x
He is a nightmare it was one of the worst things ever (although, I think when he came out the trees with a big hole in his side, ever so slightly beats it…) thanks

Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
It's a good job he knows how to get home as I dont think my dogs would. They go in the car everywhere so know their way around all our haunts but I doubt they would know how to get from A to B.

When we had our family dog growing up we used to take her and my Grandmas dog to the local woods. Both would disappear together and we'd stand there for ages shouting. Looking back we should've been more proactive in stopping them.

Jed will often disappear (he's very independent and quite comfortable being away from the rest of us) but will come back within a couple of minutes of me whistling but it is annoying when they suddenly go charging off into the undergrowth and ignore your shouts.
Yeah, I am so glad he does. although, we only live a minute walk away from the park but Jake is a tad dense sometimes, so I wasn’t sure he would to prove his denseness… I took him to a friends yesterday, and she has a dog flap… we showed Jake about 6 times how to use it, and he still couldn’t figure out how to use it himself even Samson the stupid Lab figured it out after being shown once! Although, my friend has a parrot, and Jake noticed her as soon as she spoke (he didn’t when she was just moving though lol) whereas Samson, hasn’t noticed her at all… in the 2 years he has been there!

Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
What a scare! Am so pleased Jake found his way back and you are all ok
thanks

Originally Posted by LynnB1 View Post
How scary, we still have to let our pup off of the lead for the first time, i just know that i wont relax, cos i know that it just takes them to spot something or get distracted and they could disappear!
Jake was a nightmare as a pup, and I had to get a long line for him… his recall is sooooo much better now though, and he hasn’t done something like that for months and months… he is also a clinger so likes to keep me insight, and if his is away investigating out of sight, he pops back every minute or so to check where I am! I think it gave him a big fright though when he came out the trees, and saw I wasn’t there.

Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
That must of been so frightening.

Clever Jake though knowing his way home and going there to wait for you,
Thanks and thankfully we live right next to the park
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >