View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys! Some good advice in there... I will be investing in a nice big kong for her asap And I will try leaving the room too and see if that snaps her out of it...

And it's good to hear that other people have been through this. I'm not the only one with a slightly crazy dog it would seem! Kind of glad she hasn't resorted to eating the walls though! I don't have the patience for DIY!

If anyone has any more ideas I can try - Just keep 'em coming!

xox
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Licking radiators!?!
Funny you should say that, as I once had an Oriental cat who did the same, but only when the radiators were on.

The internet was much younger then, so the only place I could find to ask advice was a US-based vet/behaviour mailing list. My email was rejected by the moderators as they said it wasn't suitable for the list..... Only later did I realise that radiators are called something else in the USA.... so heaven knows what the moderator thought I was trying to describe!!
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2010, 07:50 AM
Does she appear stressed when doing it?

My Cloud licks beds and its nothing to do with stress as its often whilst she is very relaxed, sometimes when she just wakes up, sometimes when she is going to bed, and she has one heck of a stimulting life, so its not bordom. I wondered if it is something that is in her breeding. What is the breeding of your dog?

I like Runes idea of spreading paste in kongs, but unless its a real bother to you, or she seems upset when doing it, I would just let her get on with it. Lots of animals find licking a good experience and licking has prewired genetic basis in dogs anyway.
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Licking radiators!?!
Funny you should say that, as I once had an Oriental cat who did the same, but only when the radiators were on.

The internet was much younger then, so the only place I could find to ask advice was a US-based vet/behaviour mailing list. My email was rejected by the moderators as they said it wasn't suitable for the list..... Only later did I realise that radiators are called something else in the USA.... so heaven knows what the moderator thought I was trying to describe!!
Won't they be thinking of car radiators? So they think you let your cat lick the cars engine when you turn it on... xoxox

Originally Posted by Lotsadogs View Post
Does she appear stressed when doing it?

My Cloud licks beds and its nothing to do with stress as its often whilst she is very relaxed, sometimes when she just wakes up, sometimes when she is going to bed, and she has one heck of a stimulting life, so its not bordom. I wondered if it is something that is in her breeding. What is the breeding of your dog?

I like Runes idea of spreading paste in kongs, but unless its a real bother to you, or she seems upset when doing it, I would just let her get on with it. Lots of animals find licking a good experience and licking has prewired genetic basis in dogs anyway.
Thank you for your post She tends to do it when I'm getting her dinner ready or when someone she knows comes in (me/my mum/Mike/etc...) so I think it's a way she deals with her excitement... It's not a major problem but she looks a bit manic when she does it which is why I was calling it a compulsion. I don't mind it as she's not eating the walls like some other posters have said about their dogs, but Mike gets very frustrated with her which is why I was looking for ways to lessen the extent to which she feels the urge to do it, if you know what I mean?

I don't know her breeding sadly, we rehomed her after she had been through 3 homes (at only ~5months old ) and she didn't have any papers with her... We don't even know if she's full BC! She is a bit small... But some people have said she may just be a bit of a midget collie! We love her all the same

S xox
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2