Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
So what if it doesnt get easier mate. You let these little furballs into your life and love them like your own. To then have them leave must be so hard and rightly upsetting. But what you have to remember is that that you have saved them from the stress of kennel life or even worse! You are doing a wonderful thing in helping these pups find their forever families. If you want to cry, then cry. I for one will lend you a shoulder any time. Big hugs across the miles for you and sloppy terrier kisses from the Tillymonster! xxx
I agree It is a wonderful thing that you do and crying just proves what a big heart you have for wanting to help them. Like others have said, if you didn't cry THAT would be the worry!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 09:44 AM
So what if it doesnt get easier mate. You let these little furballs into your life and love them like your own. To then have them leave must be so hard and rightly upsetting. But what you have to remember is that that you have saved them from the stress of kennel life or even worse! You are doing a wonderful thing in helping these pups find their forever families. If you want to cry, then cry. I for one will lend you a shoulder any time. Big hugs across the miles for you and sloppy terrier kisses from the Tillymonster! xxx

I guess I just wonder if you can build up to a point where you don't burst into tears I now feel drained and tired, hugged my boys but just wonder how that boy is doing, wanting the best for him, I think his new owners are going to spoil him rotten. I guess it is just that I can't see him and know for sure and if I let myself weaken I would have kept him.
I wish I could sit down have a cuppa with you and cry and talk it out, as with Scruffy, it is sad and it is my loss but what the dogs have gained is more important. Those beautiful boys have forever homes and can be happy and make someone happy. For that I know I would do it again and again, it is just a question of when I will have my first foster failure really....
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
I guess I just wonder if you can build up to a point where you don't burst into tears I now feel drained and tired, hugged my boys but just wonder how that boy is doing, wanting the best for him, I think his new owners are going to spoil him rotten. I guess it is just that I can't see him and know for sure and if I let myself weaken I would have kept him.
I wish I could sit down have a cuppa with you and cry and talk it out, as with Scruffy, it is sad and it is my loss but what the dogs have gained is more important. Those beautiful boys have forever homes and can be happy and make someone happy. For that I know I would do it again and again, it is just a question of when I will have my first foster failure really....
Well I for one would be crying for each one too. Its natural. Stick with it. You are doing such a good thing.
Maybe if it doesnt bother you, you shouldnt do it. Stu used to be a fireman and he saw some awful things. But he will be the first to say about the job if it didnt touch you, you shouldnt be doing it anymore I know its not the same thing but you need to care to do these thing otherwise it means nothing. I think you're so brave doing the fostering. Im not sure I would be strong enough to see them go. But they DO have great lives now, and you have played a big part in getting them there. I'll raise my cup of tea to you now and pass you a virtual tissue. xx
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
To be honest.....if you were finding it easy I'd be worried.

When you love dogs and let them into your life - letting them go...even when you know it is for the best is very hard.
I am a sucker for any dog, and I realised it wouldn't be easy fostering, but in a way it has been too easy, the dogs I have had have had a few issues and minor behavioural issues that have been sorted or at least curbed quite well, making it hard too see why see why anyone could give them away/up.
It has been easy letting them in the door, it is just harder to open it and let them go
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Originally Posted by Stumpywop View Post
Nope - in fact I'd say letting one go, even to a fantastic home, is upsetting.

Fortunately for me there's been no interest so she'll be staying for a while

I try to think that even if only for a few days, that I can make a positive difference to a dog before it goes to their new home. And for those dogs who stay with me a little longer, I get to do some training with them also so hopefully home life with a new dog will be easier for their new owners too.
She is beautiful, see I can't think of how anyone could give them up in the first place, and because someone has, you don't know if the people that take them on might do the same (but I doubt it, it is a bit of a different process adopting a dog, but still....)
I suppose I have to remember I can only be responsible for me and my actions, not others and you are right, if I have given them a positive experience and have talked to the owners and they couldn't be more excited about their new furkid
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I agree It is a wonderful thing that you do and crying just proves what a big heart you have for wanting to help them. Like others have said, if you didn't cry THAT would be the worry!
The day they leave I cry, I will try and say this and hopefully it will make sense.......... the emotional side of me says, it is good, and the facts say it is good, but I end up crying and feeling that they were happy here and when they look at you was if to say 'who are they?, can we go home now?' and you hand them over, I know that in a little while he will settle and he will see them as his and he will be fine but that look gets me a lot and trying to hold back the fact I could easily keep them, if I thought it was in the best interest of my dogs and the other dog that would stay as one of my own.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 11:00 AM
Well I for one would be crying for each one too. Its natural. Stick with it. You are doing such a good thing.
Maybe if it doesnt bother you, you shouldnt do it. Stu used to be a fireman and he saw some awful things. But he will be the first to say about the job if it didnt touch you, you shouldnt be doing it anymore I know its not the same thing but you need to care to do these thing otherwise it means nothing. I think you're so brave doing the fostering. Im not sure I would be strong enough to see them go. But they DO have great lives now, and you have played a big part in getting them there. I'll raise my cup of tea to you now and pass you a virtual tissue. xx
I will stick with it, it is just that I thought it would start getting easier, but it is no better, and thought I may lack some emotional cut off with these foster dogs, but if I did have an emotional cut off, I feel like I wouldn't be giving them the best chance to know what it is like to be valued and treated as they deserve to be, and by giving them that, they come out of their shell and, seriously, the first time they do zoomies I can't stop smiling (and so many more things that they start doing), all three have done it and it takes a while but they get there and you can see that they are enjoying themselves, feel good, feel relaxed and they respond so much and can just be dogs that don't have to worry about hunger or thirst or warmth or fleas or pain etc. So now just writing that made me smile, maybe I have to remember them as they were here, turning into well balanced dogs.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 11:51 AM
Even with some of the dogs who stay I feel an attachment, not to all of them and I know they are going home to what they know and usually getting far more attention etc than they do here.

Giving up my lab pup was one of the hardest things I have done---I still feel a gap where he ought to be. I know he is better off where he is but it doesn't help me!

I'd worry if you weren't unhappy to see them go.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 11:58 AM
No doesnt ever get any easier! Our last foster left last saturday to a really nice couple, it was heart breaking. The longer you have them, the harder it is to say good bye. Although I find at the same time you get a warm feeling knowing you helped the dog along the way and can now do the same for more.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-10-2010, 12:35 PM
Hmmmm, this is making me re think doing it now. I don't know if I'm tough enough!

Em, read what I put on FB and listen to Aunty Em xx
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >