View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 09:36 AM
That is so sad. Wolfhounds (and Deerhounds) are such beautiful dogs, and quite rare now. What a waste - to produce a cross when they could have done something to perpetuate the breed.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 10:45 AM
Ran into a Rottie/Wolfhound mix once. Wolfhound size, coat and body type with a HUGE Rottie head and colouring. Stunning dog, no idea about the breeding though, he was a rescue.

Originally Posted by littlewolf View Post

I think it's cute and I bet you knew what type of x it was by it's silly name. I don't really understand why folks get so worked up about these silly names as that's all they are.
Because people use the "designer" name to sell cross breed puppies at extortionate prices and people act as though their mix is a real breed. We had a "purebred Cockapoo" at obedience class, this dog had cost £1,500 therefore couldn't possibly be a lowly mixed breed. The owner actually told me she would never own a common mutt like mine

I find the majority of the "designer" names stupid (would you call a poodle/shih tzu mix a poosh*t?) but it's the way they're used that bugs me. And it only seems to be certain mixes. Lurchers don't seem to be the in thing and I have yet to see a Bullsh*t advertised anywhere or hear anyone refer to their dog as one.
littlewolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Because people use the "designer" name to sell cross breed puppies at extortionate prices and people act as though their mix is a real breed. We had a "purebred Cockapoo" at obedience class, this dog had cost £1,500 therefore couldn't possibly be a lowly mixed breed. The owner actually told me she would never own a common mutt like mine

I find the majority of the "designer" names stupid (would you call a poodle/shih tzu mix a poosh*t?) but it's the way they're used that bugs me. And it only seems to be certain mixes. Lurchers don't seem to be the in thing and I have yet to see a Bullsh*t advertised anywhere or hear anyone refer to their dog as one.
But if people are willing to pay daft sums of money for x's let them, if they're happy with their fancy named x good luck to them.

The woman you describe just sounds like a snob, but I think a lot of the dislike of silly named x's is snobberry too. People seem pissed off and annoyed because people think their x's are better than their pedigrees, where as the pedigree owners obvuiously feel the same in reverse.

Neither of which is the case.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I personally don't have a dislike of silly named mixes (I dislike the silly names but not the dogs). I have a dislike of the people breeding these mixes purely to make money and with no other thought. How many people will pay £500 for a puppy advertised just as Lab mix compared to how many will pay it for a puppy with a designer name? THAT is what really gets me. It's as though giving the mixed breed dog a designer name makes it worth more to people.

No dog, pedigree, "designer" mix or plain old mutt, is superior to any other dog imo. I've run into snobs with pedigrees and snobs with mutts and I don't understand the attitude in all honesty. I'm pretty sure a dog doesn't give a damn about whether it comes from champion lines or not and neither do I.
KatieSmith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by Sara'n'Scout View Post
Seriously... this is getting ridiculous! COME ON!

I saw a dog walking down the street today... it looked like a very large Poodle cross (I hate to use the term Labradoodle... but that's what it looked like), so, of course, I had to ask I'm wishing now I didn't! What is the purpose of THAT mix?

I think we're fighting a loosing battle in the designer dog/dumb name issue. Honestly, what is wrong with saying he's an Irish Wolfhound/Poodle mix? Or a Lab/Poodle cross, or a Springer/Cocker cross (this one I know is easy, as I had one for nearly 15 years, and we never called her a "Sprocker")? or any other mix...

Yes the dog was cool looking (he was apricot), and a really nice dog, but I really don't see the point in stupid names, or the crossing of those breeds. there could really be major problems with the mix, both carry similar health/genetic issues... etc.
OFGS this is ridiculous now I agree. This really gets my goat as there is no need to make up names - they are crosses aka mutts, or mongrels not some ridiculous name like that! Wolfhounds are wonderful gorgeous dogs in their own right without having to corss them with anything.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:12 PM
There are some pups advertised on the internet at the moment and they are poodle x GWP and the fools want £850 for them (thats more than a well bred pedigree GWP costs!)

Hopefully when people have crossed just about all they can then the infatuation will pass (and surely we've nearly exhausted all combinations!)
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Littlewolf I agree. I think everyone gets far too worked up about "designer names" just because someone uses a designer name doesnt mean they think they have rare pedigree. The name says its a crossbreed, the names are an acronym, it is so well known these days. Again money thing I think its the same both ways. If people want to pay ridculous sums let them, they'll do it for a cross or a ped. The names are ridiculous, I just think they're funny.

Personally I own 2 crossbreeds-even though one I reckon may be a total heinz. Dont know why but I hate the term mongrel and mutt just now because I feel its used as an insult for them. I dont know why people feel the need to point out the make up of someones dog. Well done the documents we received on them also tell us that. Someone even came up to my mum when we were at a dog show and said "and what is that supposed to be" she just said our puppy and walked away. They guy actually pinpointed her out to give her into trouble for owning a cross. Even when you fight the term people stick there noses up. Amber was in a pup companion show, the announcer came over and asked what she is. My mum always dreads this. She said shes a cocker poodle cross into the mike. The guy then speaks to the audience going ahhh a "cockapoo". Mum looks embarresed people around the ring people start bitching about her :@ She won it btw then got best in show
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:32 PM
I own a HPR crossbreed and last month in his working test the judge referred to him twice as a "thing". I do resent that as although he is a crossbreed, his capabilities are on par with any pedigree HPR and he is actually from very good lines on both sides (his grandfather being the most successful GWP in field trials in the UK so far).

I dont have a problem with the designer names, I do have a problem with some of the choices of combinations and the prices charged.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
That is so sad. Wolfhounds (and Deerhounds) are such beautiful dogs, and quite rare now. What a waste - to produce a cross when they could have done something to perpetuate the breed.
Totally agree.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2010, 05:31 PM
I am one who gets right worked up about designer crossbreed names. I have no issues with mutts, infect I have 3 two of which I have no idea what they are. BUT I call it like it is. they are terrier mixes, and a lhasa x bichon. I asked a man once if his dog was a poodle x lab, or a poodle x golden retriever... he got right indignant with me and told me the dog is a goldendoodle. I said ah a poodle golden cross... he said no he's a GOLDENDOODLE. I said yeah, same thing. He stomped away... boy I pissed him off. thing is people are spending as much or more on crossbreeds without any health testing, and THAT is why I hate those stupid names.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >