View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 12:59 PM
I always take my two out together. The only exceptions were when Barney was castrated & then had another op, so I took Wilma out on her own with some friends & their dogs. She was fine & didn't seem to notice Barney wasn't there.

But mid-mornings, when I'm at work, my husband used to take both dogs for a lead walk just round the houses for 15-20 mins to break up their day. He found that Wilma was a bit scared of busy roads with traffic whizzing along. She would flinch a bit & try to "hug" the wall to get away from traffic.

After a while, he found that he'd call Wilma to have her harness put on, then put Barney's harness on, by which time Wilma would vanish. He would find her curled up on the sofa (with harness & collar on) & eyes tightly shut & he'd have to almost drag her off or bribe her with treats to go for a walk.

When he told me this, I said either change your route or don't take her. He's too set in his ways & doesn't have enough imagination to change the route. So Wilma stays behind! He always gives Barney a biscuit when they get back & Wilma's the first to greet them, just to ensure she gets her biscuit too.
Misty-Pup
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 01:25 PM
I can do a thousands walks in a day generally, depending on various things but will take Misty out on her, then Blade, for training, or a just a nice walk, so they can have 1 on 1 time with me. I try to take them out a couple of times a week on their own, because they love it! Obviously on shoot days, I only have one out, so it gets them used to having one taken out the kennel, while one stays in.

I like taking them out, one at a time, I try to take each and every one of the dogs out on their own at least once a week. Usually on the same day, time consuming, but I love it and it gets me out of the housework!
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Me!

With my 2 akitas - Zeke's got cancer and goes verrrry slow and not far, I hate to rush him. Keisha is only 3, lively, trots along and needs lots more exercise, playing and attention! If my OH is with me we take them both together, me and Zeke a mile behind!

Plus Keisha isn't great with other dogs offlead running up in her face, so 1-1 I can concentrate on training her more, protecting her from unruly dogs and feel 100% safe and confident.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Yup, often do!

Marius is able to go on much longer and arduous walks than Lola could. He is physically able to go on treks up the fells and out for long periods of time (sometimes over 2hrs). Lola isn't built for that kind of walk.

I often take them on a smaller walk together, I think it's nice for them to do this

It's also good to be able to give them one to one training on their separate walks. I often take a toy and do some obedience training, heelwork or even a bit of ringcraft if the cycle-path is quiet!
Petra
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes, our two have separate walks.
Petra is old, doddery and v. slow (and dog aggresive). She likes to run after Buffy and chase the ball and she just can't do it any more.
Buffy is an anxious nutter.

They both need 100% attention, for their own special reasons, from me when out, and I can't give it to them walking together.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 06:30 PM
Generally they get taken out together as I do not have the time to do it seperately and each give them the exercise they need (or rather, are used to and wouldnt settle happily with anything less).

Flynn spends the most time alone with me as he has totally different training needs and he also competes in various things which the collies dont. Jed gets his time with me at agility and he seems to come alive when the other dogs arent there. Normally he fades into the background and gives the impression he has no personality but take him out alone and he becomes interesting!
Jessie may get a game of ball on the field without the other 2 but I dont train her as such so generally she either goes out as a threesome or with Jed.

I do try and give them one-2-one time sometimes as I think it does their confidence the world of good when they cant rely on the other dogs and the dogs clearly love having their owner all to themselves without having to compete for attention.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 07:46 PM
I very rarely take all mine out together. Bo (Slovak) turns into even more of a hyper maniac than normal if I take her with Tilly (Yorkie).

Dex and Bo get walked together in the morning and evening. On my days off Bo will get an additional walk on her own at lunchtime. Tilly generally gets taken out on her own but doesn't need anywhere as much walking as my other two, nor does she care if she gets walked everyday.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 07:53 PM
I mainley do group, but as a treat they have 1-2-1 sometimes!
Kelly27
New Member!
Female 

21-09-2010, 08:00 PM
if im on my own i walk 2 & 2 but if me & OH are going out all 4 go together

I walk Mya & Roxy together then Skye & Kyle together but once Zara has had her jags she'll be getting walked with Mya & Roxy so i'll soon be walking 3 & 2
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2010, 08:04 PM
Len gets walked separately from Mya and waits at every kerb without being told - he's such a little soldier and it's so different from when he was a young pup and pulled like a freight train!
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >