Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally Posted by *Lorraine* View Post
Trixie is attending puppy agility classes (well she's having a few weeks off as she's just been spayed)....she's 9 Months.
So far we've done the wait & wait while I go past a jump.
We've done the tunnel, from a variety of angles & also the wait, whilst I go to the other end of the tunnel (which is a hard one as she loves the tunnel)
We've done the "out" command. Sending Dogs round a post, or jump wing & then returning to us.
We walk over cavaletti poles, to get the DOgs aware of picking up all 4 feet.
We also do the "feet" contact command......starting on a plank on the ground & moving on to a slight incline.
Some weeks we have about 8 pups in the class.
After years of doing fun agility, I find it really hard to learn it & teach my pup properly .
That sounds really good fun, I wish we'd started these 2 earlier, but Max's hips aren't great and we were advised to wait, but even so we could have started to train them younger if we'd have known what we were doing!
Sorry for sounding daft, but what's the difference between fun agility and competetive? I always assumed they were the same but you either did or didn't compete! This is the first time I've had anything to do with agility.....
I forgot to say in other posts that we've had to start again with the sit and waits. We've been given a completely new method. It just reinforces me wishing we'd done it earlier so rather than just feeling like we've finished they're basic training and now having to start again, we could have just integrated the two from the start. Grrr!
LittleMonkies
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2010, 08:00 PM
We had lesson 2 today.

The trainer was really pleased with his progress from last time. He's following my directions nicely (still loads more work to do on it though!), loves running through the tunnels, his sit & wait is improving although we've been told not to rush that, just keep reinforcing it and she thinks his focus ahead is great.
We've now got to introduce target touching. He does it with our hands with no problem but we've got to do it on a pringles lid now.
We did some figure 8s around a jump which went quite well and we're to work on those.
She tried to get me to (I don't know the technical term) redirect Max from my right side to my left between 2 jumps. He almost did it and that's somethign she really wants us to focus on.
Max is turning nicely around me but is to focussed on the ball when I do it so I have to turn him just with my empty hand and then throw the ball once he's walked round me.
It's been yet another realisation that I''m really not as fit as I need to be!
We had great fun and I'm so chuffed we've finally got started.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2