View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2010, 10:12 PM
As you have just said Settagirl, You know your own dogs inside out, that is how I feel, and up until I got Kyesh I would have said I could guide people through the stages they go through, and what to look for, (I have had english setters for 22yrs) but he has thrown some weird things at me, all my other ES were calm But still stuborn, but Kyesh is the first that is always on the go until he is ready for a sleep then he just flops, but he is so intelligent, and as his breeder says, brains can be dangerous, But expert never, I am learning everyday, and hope I move with the times, yes I am experience in reading my own dogs, and could put a good guess at what is going on with anyone elses dog but that is all it would be, a guess. Each dog is different. Hope that makes sense. Gayle
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 11:52 AM
I think that experience is something that is happening all the time, no-body will ever know everything, I don't think that someone has to breed or show to be experienced, but to live with the breed they have day in day out, watch them, learn about them, that for me would count for more experience, whether or not they show, to me the more important experience is understanding the breeds natural ways, and I would say that people always be open minded to gain experience, as if someone said that they was experienced, and have been involved in something for years, but shut their mind off after the first couple of years, saying that they know what they need, well to me the years of expereince they have shut off when their mind did I do hope that one day I could say I'm experienced, but that wouldn't be for years if I could even ever say that.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 04:14 PM
I think some people like to make out they are experts because they have owned certain breeds for a while. I've often read stuff like have owned for over 10/20/30yrs etc. I could say that about Rotties, having owned them since my early twenties. However, it only amounts to owning 3 dogs in total so it hardly makes me an expert

I class some truly experienced or expert when the knowledge they DON'T know about the breed could be written on a postage stamp!! These people are truly experienced knowing their breed/pedigrees/health problems etc inside and out.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm not experienced, I've only owned and worked with an akita rescue for 4 years, however I have a bit of experience with the breed, which I hope can help others through what I have learnt actually owning Akitas, and meeting many more.

But as far as breeding or showing goes, pah, haven't got a clue! But I could find anyone their perfect forever rescue
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Like most things in life, "expertise" comes down to balance. We all know people who have been in a breed five minutes and already know "everything" about the breed and pontificate loudly about it. There are others who have vast experience, but have learned little.
I have been seriously interested in my breed for 20 years and have owned the breed for 16. We have shown dogs since our first boy and made up 6 champions. We have worked our dogs all the time we have had them. For the last 6 or 7 years we have been active in breed rescue, personally fostering over 100 unwanted dogs. Having said that, there is no way I would regard myself as a breed "expert". I have a good general knowledge of the breed and a good deal of practical experience with it, but there are several aspects of the breed I am definitely not expert in and I am still learning more each and every day. I hope I will continue to do so for a long long time to come.

Mick
LillyRose
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-08-2010, 10:58 PM
I can understand how owning a breed would gain experience within that breed, but when it's said that we're always learning,we can't know everything.Everyone will know their individual dog/s that's a given but it'd be difficult to argue that then meant they knew the breed as a whole.

I'm not sure being in love with a particular breed automatically makes someone experienced but the pleasure of constantly learning can only be a joy to be had.

I'm all for learning more and was encouraged as a child to be resourceful but I was also reminded of the gift of learning from others.I think anyone who feels they know it all or are too good at a field of interest to further themselves for themselves,then they not only close themselves off to the possibilities of gainer a greater knowledge but can become lonely,bitter people.

I'm a horse rider for more years than I dare to type but I'm no expert
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2