View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Breeders must be registered, checked, pay costs to be on a register and charge high costs for good, health checked, top class puppies, and if anyone is caught to be breeding elsewhere, a prison sentence or a hefty fine at least.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 07:46 AM
Originally Posted by astle9 View Post
It is too easy to breed dogs and openly advertise for sale and then not declare the money as income, hit them in the pocket for me would help to go some way.
And that is one one of the major issue's ,it's too easy.

Some people buy dogs and then want the money they have paid for them back,so mate it with Joe Bloggs dog round the corner and hey presto.

We need some sort of regulation of breeding,the sale and advertising of dogs.All dogs bred should be traceable back to there breeder,(a bit like how every car has a log book)then should dogs go through rescue,breeders can be traced,if they won't take the dog back then they should be charged for the dog whilst it is in kennels,banned from breeding further litters etc.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 07:53 AM
I don't know how to solve the big issue but for starters Free Ads, Pre Loved and Gumtree need to follow ebay's example and ban advertising live animals.

It's going to be difficult to solve this as whatever measures are put in place, the government won't put enough funds into policing and inforcing it. Like compulsory microchipping, responsible owners will do it, but the idiots it's aimed at will not. Same with compulsary insurance. The government don't seem to realise that they need to tackle this reckless breeding if they want to tackle dangerous dogs as it's usually the same people engaging in both!
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Household dog license, that means everyone in the house is repsonsible for the dog/s. You have a card like a driving license and must carry it when out with the dog and dog wears a tag with your 'license number' on it...
On the license it says if you are a breeder or not, you pay extra to be a registered breeder.
The money from the licenses goes to 'license enforcement person', who can make house calls or check any dog on their travels. No you don't need to let them in your house, but if you have nothing to hide, why should you be bothered?
No advertising in any classifieds for puppies, reputable breeders won't need to advertise anyway.

Any suggestions would be followed by proper dog owners and abused by numpties anyway...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
How about this

Its illegal to sell a dog, all dogs are now FOC

Rescues MUST be a registered charity & can accept a charitable Donation for a rescue dog

If you are caught selling a dog , you get Fined, Dunno say £1000.

Good breeders will still breed to show etc, but its a hobby, so its at their own expense. & they arent in it for the money anyway.

BYB puppy farms etc will simply just cease

There will be less dogs generally & the rescues will be more popular, & gradually get less & less
Then responsible breeders are punished financially and can no longer afford all of the expensive health tests that ensure their litters are of the best health possible, and have to bow out of breeding, losing years worth of work done to improve the health of their breed(s), leaving BYBs to mop up the demand for puppies - if they want to get paid for them then they will find a way to do it, otherwise you will get Joe Bloggs dog owners with little knowledge breeding their dogs to give pups to family & friends who want a cute puppy and can't be bothered to scout out for a breeder.
Smaller rescues who don't bring in enough donations to become a registered charity will have to close their doors because they couldn't afford to rehome dogs for free and would become bankrupt with all those fines for asking for donations.
Those who want a dog on a spur of the moment decision will find it a lot easier to get a dog because now they don't even have to save a few hundred quid to buy one, so more dogs will be dumped when they get bored - but there are now less rescues, more unhealthy dogs because no responsible breeders are there to improve the health of dogs, those rescues that are registered soon find themselves full and with twice the amount of vet bills as they used to due to the declining health of the dog species, and soon have to close their doors for good.

Pitbulls are illegal to breed, sell, or even give away, but what were the stats on the show last night? There are thousands more than their used to be. Those without the morals to breed dogs properly are unlikely to follow these kind of laws so it's the responsible breeders that we're punishing.
People need to be educated about BYBs and puppy farms and take it into their hands to research for a responsible breeder. These are the people we need to encourage and support - the future of the dog species is in their hands. If you want your children, grandchildren and any other future generations to have the pleasure of owning friendly, healthy dogs, the answer isn't to stop dog breeding, but to stop irresponsible breeding, and to do that we need a suitable replacement. People won't give up owning dogs just because the only place to get them is a BYB, but they may be willing to approach a responsible breeder instead if they've been educated about the reasons for not supporting BYBs. Even from a selfish POV, make people realise that BYB dogs will cost them money and time in health and behavioural problems and make responsible breeders seem the more economical answer, and you're lessening the demand for BYBs and puppy farms. Everything is about supply & demand in our world, society expects to be able to get almost anything it wants, and lots of people won't sacrifice the pleasure they get from owning a pet for the "greater good"
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:20 AM
I posted on the programme thread before I saw this thread, but what about compulsory neutering for all dogs, regardless of breed/temperament/owner's pleas or reasons for not neutering ~ no exceptions, other than licensed breeders? Any unneutered dog can be seized & forcibly neutered ~ at the owner's expense, if an owner can be found, if not, then animal charities could bear the cost as they already do for any unneutered dogs that go into their care. Anybody found with an unneutered dog will be heavily fined. Possible exceptions could be dogs with health issues that would make the operation dangerous, but they would have to have written confirmation from a vet. Neutering to take place at the earliest age that is safe for each dog, dependent on breed.

Immediately someone gets a puppy it is the law that they must register with a local vet & that the vet keeps a register so that the owner is reminded about neutering & any owner that fails to have their dog neutered at the appropriate age is reported to the police.

Breeders have to be licensed & standards for getting a license are high & rigidly enforced./ Breeders also have to demonstrate that they have proper facilities, do extremely thorough health checks of all dogs prior to mating, & get written guarantees from potential owners that the puppies will be neutered. Breeders premises to be closely monitored & randomly inspected, perhaps by animal charities who can be paid a set fee by the local council. All potential owners have to pass basic canine behaviour tests & show that they have the facilties, time & knowledge to raise a dog before a breeder can sell a puppy to them.

I can see lots of flaws with this (not least the possibility that the scarcity of puppies could result in a "black market" for puppies supplied by puppy farms) & no doubt many breeders that are in it for money will be horrified. But if it helps permanently remove the 1000s of dogs doomed to euthanasia or stressful miserable existences, then perhaps worth it?

I await the backlash.........
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't agree with enforced neutering, my boys are not neutered and won't be, their temprements excellent, so why should I neuter? I am responsible, I don't breed, I have had an entire girl (who is now neutered) and she never came close to mating with either of my boys, due to careful management. If it was law I would do it, as I would have no choice, but I don't agree with it.... at all.
Ang3l
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:31 AM
A database of all dog owners is definatly needed. Dogs need to be done as soon as possible. This could be done via tthe breeder stipulating that if you want a puppy it must be spayed neutered within a year, I know this can be done as I did this with my unexpected pup and so far all the girls have been done only mine is still waiting , -Medical reason tho, at the moment my little man is only 'half equipt' for the job LOL- he has to be at least 8 months coz they will have to go looking for the other missing bit LOL

Breeding bitches need to be put under some different sort of register as with my Molly, the vet is convinced due to her stomach and small last litter, that she has been used as a breeding dog and was as I said before taken by me to save her from a rescue home, which the vet told me can be common practice when they've been deemed 'to old' by the 'Breeder'!!!

All my puppies are to come back to me if there is ANY problems with there present owners. I'm named as a second contact on ALL microchips. Luckily too all have gone to people I know, so I'll know if there are any problems. Yes if I got asked to take all 3 back in I'd do my damn best to look after them all til I could rehome them myself. It would be hard work but not as hard as those dogs going to a rescue centre !!

If you aren't going to breed why do you need a 'full' dog/bitch? Life for me will be a lot easier when Molly finally makes it under the knife so I can imagine she'll be extremely happy to just live out her last years as a dog rather than a puppy machine.

I know there is the expense to consider but when I got Molly I knew she was a 'full' dog and I had my 'full' male. I was told Molly had just finished her season when I got her and a vet checked seemed to back it up, she got pregnant I felt bad as I didn't know until she gave birth!! Milo was done a few weeks back but just yesterday I was told that when I went away for a week my dog sitter didn't seperate them as asked so today I'm off to the vets for a pregnancy test as she had just finished her season when we went away and Milo was done the day after we returned. To be honest I think she is pregnant

Accidental breeders like myself could also register if it's done right. That program did make me think, Like now if Molly is pregnant and I so hope she isn't, I could sign a register at the vets which would then track Molly and the pups until they leave me ...but also put on condition that within 6 months she HAS to be spayed or I get a fine. That way Molly would be spayed and the pups always linked back to me as the breeder. ( Molly is definatly being spayed!!!!!)

Only thing is all Laws can be flauted one way or another and as that vet on the programme said 'you get some that care, some that don't'
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:35 AM
Why do people disagree with neutering?! Unless you humanise your dogs that much .

It prevents health problems!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
How about this

Its illegal to sell a dog, all dogs are now FOC

Rescues MUST be a registered charity & can accept a charitable Donation for a rescue dog

If you are caught selling a dog , you get Fined, Dunno say £1000.

Good breeders will still breed to show etc, but its a hobby, so its at their own expense. & they arent in it for the money anyway.

BYB puppy farms etc will simply just cease

There will be less dogs generally & the rescues will be more popular, & gradually get less & less
The flaw with giving all dogs away, will mean it openS the door up for more people to own a dog, if they dont have to pay for it!!

It would also effect rescues, if you dont have to pay for a dog, how are they going to survive???

Its also wont stop them dumping those dogs in rescue, easy come , easy go.

Why should the responsible breeder be penalized for the irresponsible, taking their income for breeding dogs is not going to stop irresponsible breeding.

Legalisation for PF, BYB should be make tighter.

A license to breed should be enforceable, and at a high cost, every puppy should be registered to the breeder, so in the case of abandonment it will be the breeder who has to be responsible for the dog... but then responsible breeders already take on the responsibility.

Lets say if you breed a dog, and it ends up in rescue, they can trace it back to you, and present you with a fine..but then that could also hit a responsible breeder (no easy answer)

But them , even with all these laws put in place, you then need someone to police them,
Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »