Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2005, 09:33 PM
mine dont yet but have plans to get harnesses for them
bobbie3917
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2005, 11:36 PM
2 of mine are on collars but Tara uses a harnesses, she pulls like a steam train and i have never got her out of it (i did not have her as a pup) i rather collars but like Graeme said there is more to grad if you need to.

i have owned 8 staff in all and all but 1 have walked out in frount. Tasha would walk behind if you put a collar on her she would not move at all
im glad they are like this as i rather then be in frount as when you are walking 3 at a time its hard work is they all want to walk on your left
mitch
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 08:00 AM
Never used a harness on any of mine, I prefer the look of a collar
And I've had no reason to need a harness for pulling. I'm not saying mine never pull but they aren't too bad

Mitch
craig
Dogsey Junior

17-06-2005, 08:19 AM
mine dont ware a harness, think they look stupid on such small dogs, when i had my APBT i had one for him.
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-06-2005, 08:21 AM
Otis (5 month old staff) has to wear a harness because he pulled so much on his lead his eyes were nearly popping out and he was making himself sick!! Now with the harness he walks nicely and i have a very loose lead!

jodie x
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Jas used to wear a nylon webbed harness (I personaly think staffs look awful in these leather and heavily studed harnesses, too much stigma attached to them tbh)

Now he walks wonderfully with a collar and lead. Tam walks very nicley by my side
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2005, 08:12 PM
i agree staffy i don't like the big leather ones it gives the wrong impression to some people.
pennym
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-05-2007, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by leo View Post
just wondered why so many staffs are walked on a harness?
are they better for them than normal collars etc?
or do you think some automatically put a harness on because of the breed of dog?
its pushes out their shoulders and they stand better, but also easier control imo
Missysmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2007, 07:24 PM
I rehomed Missy at 18 months and she had no "formal " training. We go regularly to training classes where she does walk properly to heel but on a normal walk , she pulls like a train on the way out. She likes to walk out in front too .She too plods along behind on the way home, it must be a " Staffie thing " . I mostly use a flat leather collar. When she pulls a lot , she chokes . I sometimes use a wide nylon half check collar , which she does still sometimes pull on but not as much as on the leather collar , and if the pulling is very bad , I use the nylon half check for a few days then change that for a fine leather half check. That normally does the trick although if I use the half check all the time , she resorts to pulling on that too. I have a " Stop-Pull " harness too , which I also use as an occasional training aid. I don't like the wide studded harnesses people put on their Staffies. I personally feel that is just a gimmick certain types of people use for their image , not for the ease of walking their dog.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >