Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
If it was a companion show do all the entrants have to be registered with the KC?----I am getting very confused about this.

I originally thought companion shopws were the new name for exemption shows but it seems they aren't as the dogs are registered on the companion bit of the KC---is that right?

Thanks

rune
Sorry should have siad it was a "fun" show and I'm not sure what this has to do with the thread but to clarifty
A fun show any one can enter and it doesnt have to be KC lecensed.
A companion show (previously an exemption show) all dogs can enter regardless if there KC reg or not.
In a companion show dogs who have a stud book number ie JW, CC, RCC can not go in the Pedigree classes but can go in the fun classes.
By the way although Ross (AKA Morganstar Moondust) does show at champ shows and is obviously KC reg he has none of the above.
Can we now get back on topic please
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I have to say I think I would of said something too hun, so your not alone there
Maybe they have been told by someone to use the ''flooding'' method, they were most likely very frustrated too, still its no excuse I know

Maybe if there is a next time they may consider doing it differently
The poor dog was stressed to the point of hysteria and I doubt they could see it. The impression we got was they were right you and us and our dogs are wrong.
In fact at one point it whipped a mal up to frenzy pitch and couldnt understand why the owners put it back in the car.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 08:36 AM
I think the differnce is that you know your dogs, and you have control of your dogs. You know when they are playing (or not) and you know when they need a break. A rescue dog you've only had for 2 weeks is not the same! Especially one you know has been poorly treated and unsociallised!

Can't believe he started hitting it! No matter how gentle the 'tap' was the poor dog has probably had worse and may decide on some "proactive prevention" to protect itself from what it could perceive as a repeat of its past. (not saying its right to hit any dog, but to do that to a rescued, abused animal is downright cruel)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Sorry should have siad it was a "fun" show and I'm not sure what this has to do with the thread but to clarifty
A fun show any one can enter and it doesnt have to be KC lecensed.
A companion show (previously an exemption show) all dogs can enter regardless if there KC reg or not.
In a companion show dogs who have a stud book number ie JW, CC, RCC can not go in the Pedigree classes but can go in the fun classes.
By the way although Ross (AKA Morganstar Moondust) does show at champ shows and is obviously KC reg he has none of the above.
Can we now get back on topic please
Sorry----it sort of was on topic because I thought if it was a show where they had to be registered (which I thought a companion show now was but turns out it isn't!)----then they could have been reported to the KC.

I was IN NO WAY suggesting anything else or having any kind of dig!

rune
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Sorry----it sort of was on topic because I thought if it was a show where they had to be registered (which I thought a companion show now was but turns out it isn't!)----then they could have been reported to the KC.

I was IN NO WAY suggesting anything else or having any kind of dig!

rune
No problems, I've replied on your other post, and the dog didnt enter any classes.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Obviously the homing centre had no idea how useless they were at reading a dogs body language. I am sure if they had of known they would never of considered re-homing to them.

Ollie would get stressed out by all the people and dogs so although I would very much like to enter him into shows we don't for that reason. His happiness and health comes first.

Sounds like this poor dog may end up back in rescue through sheer lack of knowledge on how to deal with possibly an already abused dog. I hope they don't get bitten for using these silly methods. Not for their sakes but it would be such a shame if it was thought necessary to pts through no fault of his own.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 11:13 PM
I think their actions were wrong, but if I heard people judging me or my dog when they do not know us then I would shout at them. At the fun dog show yesterday, I had many people ask me about jakes wound. Some people though, just talked about it loudly right next to me, saying things like 'oh, he's been attacked'! I would turn and tell them what actually happened, not shouting but was short with them. Its the height of ignorance, and ok some people may not want to ask but then dont discuss it right next to me when I can obviously hear!

I also didnt understand when you said he wasnt hers...
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
I think their actions were wrong, but if I heard people judging me or my dog when they do not know us then I would shout at them. At the fun dog show yesterday, I had many people ask me about jakes wound. Some people though, just talked about it loudly right next to me, saying things like 'oh, he's been attacked'! I would turn and tell them what actually happened, not shouting but was short with them. Its the height of ignorance, and ok some people may not want to ask but then dont discuss it right next to me when I can obviously hear!

Theres a great difference between someone talking about your dog and a dog thats so hyped up its clearly distressed.
So you think we should have ignored it and let them carrying on dragging the poor animal around til it bit them another dog or a child, whilst all the time smacking the poor thing with a ball thrower.
Your definition of fun is obviously different to mine.
By the way I don't get your last comment at all.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post

Why would you shout?

Is it not a good idea to quietly speak back to them rather than jump in with both feet and cause a scene?

rune
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by morganstar View Post
Theres a great difference between someone talking about your dog and a dog thats so hyped up its clearly distressed.
So you think we should have ignored it and let them carrying on dragging the poor animal around til it bit them another dog or a child, whilst all the time smacking the poor thing with a ball thrower.
Your definition of fun is obviously different to mine.
By the way I don't get your last comment at all.
Im not saying to do nothing at all, but what good does standing bitching do? How does that help the dog? Surely, if u wanted to help it wouldve been better to approach the owner and enquire about the dog (at least then you would know all about the dog) and offer some friendly advice. Or even say your friend is a behaviourist and is happy to give them some tips if they want. The impression I have got, is that you know very little about these people and their dog. They could be feeling overwhelmed and struggling, and want help but dont know where to turn. You achieved nothing with what you did, and I doubt you ever could, but by offering to help you could have achieved something. Sure, they could have turned you help down but at least you would have tried.

I am not defending their actions but I think you went around it wrong.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >