View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 03:18 PM
YES! tissues are a great favourite, followed by dead birds! You get very good at spotting oncoming snacks!
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Some dogs are better (or worse depending on your perception) at it regardless fo what the owners do about it.

I'm relatively lucky with my lot as I try to teach them to "leave" relatively early on. In fact, it's one of the first things they learn (as well as "down") as if they pick up something toxic, I know I can get it away form them without and arguments ro fear of them swallowing something they shouldn't.

I know it's difficult at times ie maybe if the dog is in the distance and finds something they find irresistably tasty and particularly with some breeds more than others. But I knwo of dogs that have died as a result of them scoffing everything and anythign they come across. Not worth the risk IMO. I know my dogs are safe.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2010, 06:11 PM
Yes, all three of mine will if given the chance... like the others a 'leave it' command and 'good boy/girl' if they go to it, or 'drop' if they pick it up... usually its snotty paper hankies they like!!
Harry25
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Yep, Poppy is a terror for this. One day she went for something which mum thought was a twig, when she got it out of Poppy's mouth it was half a finger of Twix!!

"Leave it" works at home, but for some reason not out and about.

There always seems to be loads of jelly chew sweets on the pavements round by us.

Walks aren't always enjoyable as you are constantly on the look out for sweets, half eaten pizza, chips etc to get past them before Poppy spots them.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

27-07-2010, 07:39 AM
Ollie is guilty of this too, he will get into hedges if he thinks there may be a crust of stale bread there dropped by the birds.

On the field where we live people have those little disposable bbq's and then leave all their rubbish on the field.

This morning he knew there was a crust of bread on our neighbours garden I thought he was being intelligent knowing if we are taking a pooh bag we go a different way to the field to drop it in the bin, but no he remembered there was bread on their path. I was one step ahead though and he didn't get it.

He has brought dead rabbits home luckily dropped them at the gate and once I thought he had a big stick it was the bottom end of a deers leg. He did drop that for a bit of chicken I had with me.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Well I think that the government should be grateful to all us dog owners with scavenging mutts-think of the time and money saved in road cleaning! Could work us in as part of David Camerson's community workers.
Luckypirate
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Oh my god yes. With two schools within five minutes of my house, you can barely move for dropped sandwiches. He also particularly likes crisp packets.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Yup I have a chineese takeaway at the end of my street so ben often finds himself a wee tray of curry sauce for a morning treat!!

One of the first times I let Mia off the lead I lost her for a short while
Found her in a ditch tucking into a whole roast chicken - bones and all
Thankfully although a little constipated and fullup she was fine
Now she is much better and they both tend to leave things

But try telling a starving ex stray to leave a whole chicken to get a tiny bit of cheese - it dont add up
kazer
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by CuteRotts View Post
Yep - same here.
Dennis quite looks forward to going on a kebab-hunt on a Sunday morning
Oh I know this one - it's a Saturday and Sunday morning near us for Lady. We walk down a path to the field and there can be half eaten pies, chips, chicken bones - anything remotely edible. Robbie doesn't seem to bother but Lady acts as thought we don't fed her and tries to grab anything!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2