View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
missy01
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2010, 09:55 AM
I too bought up Missy in an apartment, hence the use of puppy pads. They work fine, she has learnt to let us know when she needs to pee (sits by the door) so I know when to take her downstairs and outside.
I still leave a pad out if we think we will be out later than usual, but 9 times out of 10 she will not use it and waits until we are home.
It is hard work having a dog in a flat, but they soon get used to it if you have a set routine. Nothing woring with my CKC, she is a very happy little dog!

Please post pics once you have them!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
Originally Posted by dj_hazit View Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your responses. I really appreciate the tips you all have spoken of. I will be picking up little Harry "Peanut" Winston this Friday.

Just a little more additional information...Peanut will be living in an apartment with no outside garden. We (Evelyn and I) plan to use training pads in the bathroom under the sink. The door will always be a little open for him to enter. I was also thinking of putting a bell outside the bathroom door, just in case the door is closed, and teaching Peanut to ring it with his nose if need be.

Definitely, if Peanut does his poops & pee anywhere besides where he is suppose to, then we will clean it up without giving him the attention. Praising and giving light mini snacks for when he does do it on the training pad.

We will be keeping our eyes keen on him from day 1 and spending as much time as possible with him to have him use to his new environment.

Cheers, Henry
Hi Henry will your little dog be relieving itself in the house all its life or just to begin with while it is small/until it is vaccinated ?

Is there nowhere you can take it outside? I really don't like puppy pads but appreciate they may have to be used in some instances eg when you live in an apartment and don't have access to the outside.

I think it is expecting a lot of a small puppy to go into another room to soil, if you have to use pads it would be better to do so in the room in which the puppy spends the most time and has its bed so it can get to them quickly.
If your puppy will never be going outside you can gradually move the pads to a permanent place in the bathroom. If he will be going outside I would put them near the door and when you can, progress to taking him outside frequently as described above and giving lots of praise when he soils outside. Then when he is fully trained dispose of the pads.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2