View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 08:02 AM
I think it's brilliant, makes teaching and learning fun. Keeps your dogs (and your) brain working and the more a dog learns to learn the quicker it does and if it's fun to boot even better!
Becky
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Pointless? Tell that to Assistance dog trainers. Or Mary Ray.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I think it's brilliant, makes teaching and learning fun. Keeps your dogs (and your) brain working and the more a dog learns to learn the quicker it does and if it's fun to boot even better!
Becky
Agreed. I enjoy it, the dog enjoy it, so why not? Our trainer asks for a new trick every week which we show in class, as it encourages the owner to work with the dog and have fun together. Having fun helps your dog bond with you so he will be more likely to listen to you when you give a command, because he thinks you are exciting. I think trick training is great. Rogue and Dan have a great repertoire of tricks!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 09:10 AM
I dont believe any training is pointless as long as you and the dog enjoy it.
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I do obedience training but also tricks. It gives the dog and owner something different to learn. The dog doesnt know the difference between an obedience move or a trick. To the dog its just something they enjoy doing with their owner.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I dont believe any training is pointless as long as you and the dog enjoy it.
Absolutely ~ as long as everyone enjoys it, why not? Of course some "tricks" are more useful that others, some "tricks" make life easier, or more fun. But the result of the teaching/learning experience between dog & owner is the same whether you teach a "sit" or a "shake", or a "get me a beer"
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Never pointless - it's using the dog's brain and keeping him mentally stimulated; something many owners don't think of, but important with active intelligent breeds.

There are times when a good repertoire of tricks and moves are a godesnd - if you can't take your dog out due to illness, injury (yours or the dog's!), extreme weather conditions.....etc....

Twenty minutes of brain-training will tire him out as much as an hour's good walk.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
Never pointless - it's using the dog's brain and keeping him mentally stimulated; something many owners don't think of, but important with active intelligent breeds.

There are times when a good repertoire of tricks and moves are a godesnd - if you can't take your dog out due to illness, injury (yours or the dog's!), extreme weather conditions.....etc....

Twenty minutes of brain-training will tire him out as much as an hour's good walk.
Thats what I am hoping today! Just done 20 mins with Etta and hoping to have a peacefull afternoon watching the tennis.

Working on putting things away which she finds hard as she doesn't like letting go of things. She'll give them to hand but the bucket was different! She tried putting herself in it and hanging on to the toy.

Can't be pointless even if it just makes you laugh.

rune
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 11:33 AM
It probably is pointless but such fun. My puppy foundation course taught us how to teach them to roll over, not something I have ever wanted to teach them but we enjoyed it, being basenjis they would only do it if a mat was placed on the floor because the floor was too cold.

I taught Fiji heelwork to music and she LOVES it, her little face lights up when we do it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2010, 11:45 AM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Pointless.
Totally imo! I like to train useful commands, ones that I need, ones that could save her life, I don't like making a fool out of my dogs and to me, that's what I'm doing when I teach them tricks! It's ok for the theatre, but not for me thankyou. When I want her to have a play, I take her to an agility class where she can show off if she likes!
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »