View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodkalass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2010, 09:52 AM
We had a suicide squirrel throw it self out of the tree and straight in to gun dogs mouth this weekend she literally caught it in self defence. both of us shocked. Thank fully she dropped in instantly on comand and off it shot!
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2010, 10:34 AM
I have had both gundogs and terriers and none have had any killer instinct at all!!

The goldie in fact was the perfect mother (even though he was a boy ) to baby chicks, pheasants and ducks, he would lovingly sit with them and clean them

My borders, well, they never paid the slightest bit of attention to the numerous rats, mice and hamsters we had as pets

As for cats, well they all loved them too

I am sorry to hear Jimmi killed that poor bird, but it is nature in some dogs sadly
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Thank you all of you - I feel less like a freak for becoming so upset about these things, when unfortunately they are inevitable with some dogs. Our last dog was the same, and she was a collieX - sometimes she would kill a rabbit out on a walk and insist on bringing it home to bury it. Several weeks later the trophy would be unearthed and either rolled on or sampled for flavour Yuk.

ClaireandDaisy, your post made me laugh...........it shouldn't have done though

Borderdawn...........I had already pointed out that our last dog which was not a terrier had the same instincts. When we took Jimmi on we were well aware and familiar with terriers, but were more concerned with the fact that he was elderly and covered in scars and nobody else wanted him to be honest. I just wanted to let off steam because I was upset, and was hoping to have replies of similar stories to make me feel better, and these on the whole I received. You make it sound as if I should not have a terrier - in which case anybody who ever has a problem with a particular breed of dog should not have them in your view. Are you also saying that to own a terrier, or any other hunting breed, you have to be hard hearted and not care about other animals?? Hmmph.

Pilgrim you lucky man!

Vicki, yes it is just their natural instinct but I do so hate it!! Thank you for the hug.

Lozziebear, you sound like me!!! You get very upset, but understand why they do it.
kirstyS
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2010, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Vodkalass View Post
We had a suicide squirrel throw it self out of the tree and straight in to gun dogs mouth this weekend she literally caught it in self defence. both of us shocked. Thank fully she dropped in instantly on comand and off it shot!
If you could have caught that on video . . . . . .
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2010, 09:04 PM
Originally Posted by kirstyS View Post
If you could have caught that on video . . . . . .
.....................she would have made a little profit on You've been framed!!!!
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2010, 09:25 PM
I would have been upset too. We can love our dogs but it doesn't mean we have to love their behaviour. Mine actually caught a squirrel last year, I suspect it was team work but Kia was so proud of herself and not very happy when I took it off of her.

I laughed at C&D too BTW, I probably wouldn't have if I'd been there though!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by moetmum View Post
I would have been upset too. We can love our dogs but it doesn't mean we have to love their behaviour. Mine actually caught a squirrel last year, I suspect it was team work but Kia was so proud of herself and not very happy when I took it off of her.

I laughed at C&D too BTW, I probably wouldn't have if I'd been there though!
Exactly.......and thank you for understanding.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Oh dear, I totaly understand you being a bit upset
In theory I like the idea of my dogs catching some of their own food
Not in practise
A couple of summers ago I was in this fantastic posh hotel with Ben
We were enjoying the grounds, Ben having fun chasing the rabbits - i never stopped him as he just ran a little way then came running back happy
There was this lovely fancy wedding going on and they were in the grounds for fotos

and a baby rabbit ran out right infront of Ben, of course he pounced
I had such visions of a Ben dripping in blood in the background of the wedding fotos
Me and my mum yelled 'LEAVE IT' and I called him to me - he came
Thankfully once we had walked away a bit it got up and ran away, just playing dead

Ben also brought us in a mouse on christmas day - while we were at dinner!! Yum, thankyou wee man - I dont think he killed it tho
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Oh and if you dont follow you should have a look on 3 woofs and a woo's blog http://www.wootube.net/
You can see a similar incedent - funny, sad and gross
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2010, 10:20 PM
I too would be pretty upset if Jas did the same.
I totally agree, it may be in their nature, we love em to bits but we havent got to just happily accept it and go about our business without feeling something for the poor little victims! What kind of animal lovers would we be if we just shrugged everytime it happened.

I hope you've got over the trauma, I bet Jimmi is totally oblivious to the upset he caused, probably reliving his epic adventure in his little doggy dreams!!!

Its wrong, but I have also had a chuckle at some of the tales on this thread, a coping mechanism perhaps?!

Wishing you both well, maybe see you at DT Evesham at the weekend?
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >